Sennheiser HD800 S Impressions Thread (read first post for summary)
Jan 11, 2017 at 8:11 PM Post #1,816 of 8,697
People would say otherwise, but I found the HD800 to only start to sound impressive out of TOTL rigs.

If you don't want to invest at least a $1,000+ on a amp, I don't think the HD800S will give you a wow sound.
It can still sound good & better than competing headphones priced around & below it without a good amp, but it will be sorely lacking in some areas.

I agree with this completely.

I guess I'm the other side of the street.  HD800S + PC and iDSD = brilliant.  With RHA's L1 it was sublime.  Out of my X7 with AM5 amp - majestic.  I haven't found it lacking.  I'm sure someone will tell me I've never heard it on a top notch set-up, but I've been to meets, and I've been using it with a $900 OTL tube (VE Enterprise) for the last few months.

Personally I find the assertion that it can't sound impressive out of anything but TOTL to be somewhat misleading.  It impresses the heck out of me on far more modest gear.

Jan 12, 2017 at 2:22 AM Post #1,817 of 8,697
What Amp and DAC would you guys suggest for HD800S?
I have decided that a warmish and also something bring out the low mids to be suitable for this phone.
A balanced tube amp that sweeten the mids and at the same time not sacrificing much transparency would be preferred too.

Jan 12, 2017 at 7:58 AM Post #1,818 of 8,697
Everything seems to be brilliant, majestic, bliss. I'd stick with transparency and eq yourself to what you want. I don't eq.

Jan 15, 2017 at 11:06 PM Post #1,820 of 8,697
To those who own the HD800S's:

Could the HD800S function well for music production/mixing?  The key points of importance for me are lasting comfort during long listening sessions and an overall neutral sound.  

For comparison sake I have had the LCD-X in the past but ultimately sold it because it was far too heavy and uncomfortable for me.

Thank you!

Jan 16, 2017 at 2:31 AM Post #1,821 of 8,697
  Anybody tried the Supreme Sound Opamp V5i with the HD 800 S?

I'm listening to my HD800S on a Asus Xonar Essence STX II sound card with Burson V5 opamp and they sound wonderful. However I recently auditioned the Jotunheim and I must say it sounded different enough coming out of a balanced dac/amp to warrant myself to jumping over to Jotunheim in a few months time.

Jan 16, 2017 at 7:52 AM Post #1,822 of 8,697

Jan 16, 2017 at 7:57 AM Post #1,823 of 8,697
Originally Posted by Cruxiaer I'm listening to my HD800S on a Asus Xonar Essence STX II sound card with Burson V5 opamp and they sound wonderful. However I recently auditioned the Jotunheim and I must say it sounded different enough coming out of a balanced dac/amp to warrant myself to jumping over to Jotunheim in a few months time.

Were you using a pair of duals or singles? I have the Sound Blaster X7 and bought a pair of Duals and Singles. I know the X7 doesn't have a balanced connection but the X7 is an all arounder. It has optical audio for my PS4 PRO and PS3 and bluetooth. I have yet to find a amp/dac that does what the X7 does. I have yet to buy the HD 800 S but the HD 598 sounds even better on my X7 with the burson v5i than it did with the stock amps.

Jan 16, 2017 at 7:32 PM Post #1,825 of 8,697
  To those who own the HD800S's:

Could the HD800S function well for music production/mixing?  The key points of importance for me are lasting comfort during long listening sessions and an overall neutral sound.  

For comparison sake I have had the LCD-X in the past but ultimately sold it because it was far too heavy and uncomfortable for me.

Thank you!

HD800S are super comfortable with almost no clamp, so that's not an issue. Could wear them all day. Can't say the same for the HD6XX, those were also not nearly as comfortable. I've tried a whole heap of headphones but I'd rate HD800S #1 in terms of comfort.

To me, they sound quite neutral. They'll reveal bad recordings for sure. I found the original HD800 too bright, HD800S seems more balanced across the spectrum. 

Jan 16, 2017 at 9:08 PM Post #1,826 of 8,697

HD800S are super comfortable with almost no clamp, so that's not an issue. Could wear them all day. Can't say the same for the HD6XX, those were also not nearly as comfortable. I've tried a whole heap of headphones but I'd rate HD800S #1 in terms of comfort.
To me, they sound quite neutral. They'll reveal bad recordings for sure. I found the original HD800 too bright, HD800S seems more balanced across the spectrum. 

Is the micro detail in the HD 800 S much better than in the regular HD 800?? Can certain sounds be heard on the HD 800 S that can't be heard on the HD 800? Why is the HD 800 S, $600 more than the HD 800? What is the big difference between the two besides the tamed 6khz peak, black paint job, and lower frequency range on the HD 800 S. Is it true that because of the absorber technology Sennheiser used, more detail can be heard?? Here is the quote on the HD 800 S page on Sennheiser's website. "The enhanced sound reproduction of the HD 800 S is achieved through the addition of the innovative absorber technology that was pioneered in the Sennheiser IE 800 – a breakthrough that preserved the audibility of very high frequency sounds by eliminating a phenomenon known as the “masking effect”, where the human hear struggles to hear frequencies of sound when lower frequencies of a higher volume occur at the same time. By absorbing the energy of the resonance, Sennheiser’s patented absorber technology prevents any unwanted peaks and allows all frequency components – even the finest nuances – in the music material to become audible."

Are things really more audible on the HD 800 S?? Is that quote about the absorber technology just a marketing gimmick?

Jan 16, 2017 at 9:48 PM Post #1,827 of 8,697
   Is the micro detail in the HD 800 S much better than in the regular HD 800?? Can certain sounds be heard on the HD 800 S that can't be heard on the HD 800? Why is the HD 800 S, $600 more than the HD 800? What is the big difference between the two besides the tamed 6khz peak, black paint job, and lower frequency range on the HD 800 S. Is it true that because of the absorber technology Sennheiser used, more detail can be heard?? Here is the quote on the HD 800 S page on Sennheiser's website. "The enhanced sound reproduction of the HD 800 S is achieved through the addition of the innovative absorber technology that was pioneered in the Sennheiser IE 800 – a breakthrough that preserved the audibility of very high frequency sounds by eliminating a phenomenon known as the “masking effect”, where the human hear struggles to hear frequencies of sound when lower frequencies of a higher volume occur at the same time. By absorbing the energy of the resonance, Sennheiser’s patented absorber technology prevents any unwanted peaks and allows all frequency components – even the finest nuances – in the music material to become audible."

Are things really more audible on the HD 800 S?? Is that quote about the absorber technology just a marketing gimmick?

Well, according to Sennheiser the HD800S has got a wider frequency response range. The absorber technology also helps eliminate the treble peak around 6khz. Theres been review saying the HD800S loses in detail when compared to HD800 but its so very slight then its mostly made up by the smoother listening experience.

Jan 17, 2017 at 7:24 AM Post #1,828 of 8,697
So Sennheiser lied in their quote about the HD 800 S having more nuances??? And what do you specifically mean by "It's mostly made up by the smoother listing experience. I just want to know why the HD 800 S cost like $600 more than the HD 800. The HD 800 S tamed the 6khz spike on the HD 800, which I didn't even hear when I was renting them from Lumoid. The HD 800 S also has a black paint job and has a frequency response of 4 - 51,000 Hz vs 6 - 51,000 Hz. Nothing else is different between two. Somebody tell me what is exactly better on the HD 800 S vs HD 800 and why the $600 price tag justifies it. 

Jan 17, 2017 at 7:44 AM Post #1,829 of 8,697
  So Sennheiser lied in their quote about the HD 800 S having more nuances??? And what do you specifically mean by "It's mostly made up by the smoother listing experience. I just want to know why the HD 800 S cost like $600 more than the HD 800. The HD 800 S tamed the 6khz spike on the HD 800, which I didn't even hear when I was renting them from Lumoid. The HD 800 S also has a black paint job and has a frequency response of 4 - 51,000 Hz vs 6 - 51,000 Hz. Nothing else is different between two. Somebody tell me what is exactly better on the HD 800 S vs HD 800 and why the $600 price tag justifies it. 

Why don't you go and try the two yourself - instead of making accusations of lying etc.

Sennheiser simply listened to their customers - and the two biggest critiques of the HD800S was the desire for a little more bass, and also to lower the 6 kHz spike - without losing any of the extension the HD800 is famous for.  Personally I think they've achieved it - I very much enjoy the HD800S more than the original HD800 - for me personally it is end game.  I have no desire to upgrade.

And if you look at the original RRP for the HD800 - it was around $1400.  The HD800S is about $1700.  the difference is only $300.  But what has happened since its launch is a drop in price of the HD800 - which accounts for the bigger gap.  That's simply the market.  The new model is more popular - so it retails for more.

If you think the difference is not justified - simple - don't buy them.  But for those who don't want to mod, would like a sig that works with any source (at least that's true in my experience), which is a little more natural sounding (less clinical) - then the HD800S hits the spot.  I spent a lot of time with the HD800 at one stage - and while I really enjoyed it, it wasn't enough to make me want to sell my T1, HD600, and LD MKIV to get it.  I was given the opportunity to review the HD800S by Sennheiser as part of a tour.  After a week with them, I went out and bought a pair. Since then I've sold my T1, LD MKIV, and will sell my HD600 - and probably some other gear too. For me - they just hit all the right spots.

Might not be worth it to you - is to me.  I suggest you try them - before leveling any more accusations at Sennheiser.

Jan 17, 2017 at 7:45 AM Post #1,830 of 8,697
Don't think that quote from Sennheiser suggests there are more nuances, just it can be easier to hear them, so, no I don't think they are lying.

Where are you getting a $600 difference from? Are you comparing prices from the Sennheiser site or somewhere else? In any case if is that big a gap for you, and you can't hear a difference between the 2 versions then go and buy the 800 and save yourself some money.    

In the UK the difference is only £300 at full retail price and the 800S comes with a balanced cable in the box so there goes half the cost difference. 

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back