Sennheiser HD800 S Impressions Thread (read first post for summary)
Jan 2, 2017 at 11:14 AM Post #1,774 of 8,758
Are you talking about the LG V 20, The android phone ? Many Entry Level Amps have problems running the HD 800, less with the HD 800S (as far as I can tell) but both 'phones are still amp picky, even Fiios most powerful portable amp the E 12 can't do them enough justice. The Schiit Valhalla is an extremely good sounding amp and it is able to drive the HD 800(S) marvelously, especially at its price point!
But your phone wont even rech a decent volume level on those cans. The V 20 might sound better than any other smartphone, but if your not ready to invest into a proper Home rig, then i would strictly recommend low impedance headphones and headphones that are not amp picky.

Such as the LCD X(C) (it will still need an amp to reveal its true potential)
Ultrasones Signature series, maybe even the Edition M that was designed to run with portable players.
Etc.... the Forum is filled with enough info on easy to drive cans.

Jan 2, 2017 at 12:40 PM Post #1,775 of 8,758
Are you talking about the LG V 20, The android phone ? Many Entry Level Amps have problems running the HD 800, less with the HD 800S (as far as I can tell) but both 'phones are still amp picky, even Fiios most powerful portable amp the E 12 can't do them enough justice. The Schiit Valhalla is an extremely good sounding amp and it is able to drive the HD 800(S) marvelously, especially at its price point!
But your phone wont even rech a decent volume level on those cans. The V 20 might sound better than any other smartphone, but if your not ready to invest into a proper Home rig, then i would strictly recommend low impedance headphones and headphones that are not amp picky.

Such as the LCD X(C) (it will still need an amp to reveal its true potential)
Ultrasones Signature series, maybe even the Edition M that was designed to run with portable players.
Etc.... the Forum is filled with enough info on easy to drive cans.

He is. It's the quadro-dac phone with an output of 2v. It isn't enough to drive the cans. He could better look at the Focal Elear (which is 80 ohm). It seems to be a marvelous phone btw. I have it on my to-buy list. My Note-2 starts having some issues. I have to order the LG V20 out of the states though, it's not being sold in the Netherlands aka Europe. 

Jan 6, 2017 at 5:04 AM Post #1,777 of 8,758
A noticeable amount of Soundstage in the top end has shrunk from memory. This was always going to happen when correcting the original treble of death of the original. It still has the best top end soundstage compared to others, just not compared to the original screw-ups.

Geez when I first got the HD800S, it was only a shade technically better than the HD650s, if at all in the bass and mids. But with usage the HD800S really smoothed out, gone is that horrific grain coupled to a peaky treble that made it worse. The bass has tightened and the mids separate like I remember the originals.

This one, I put down to burn in as I bought these new.

Jan 6, 2017 at 6:03 AM Post #1,778 of 8,758
... But with usage the HD800S really smoothed out, gone is that horrific grain coupled to a peaky treble that made it worse. ...

This one, I put down to burn in as I bought these new.

My HD800 experience also. Don't have the "S" for comparison but break in made a difference in my listening experience as well.

Jan 6, 2017 at 7:15 AM Post #1,779 of 8,758
Has anyone heard the HD800S with balanced Schiit Jotunheim and Aune X7? I understand these 2 models are pretty entry level considering their price point as a balanced amp but how good are they if I'm coming from a Xonar STX II sound card (or most single ended amp around that price point US$400).

Jan 6, 2017 at 9:03 AM Post #1,780 of 8,758
Hello music friends.
I'm in difficult situation here and would like to hear your senior opinions.
Do you think worth to have both sennheiser HD 800 and 800s?

I was going to buy a balanced cable for my HD 800 for 490 dollars. But a friend of mine is sealing his hd800S in a hurry and he's price is 1000 dollars with the senn cable.

So I thought, maybe, just maybe worth to give more 500 dollars and get the cable and a new headphone?

What do you think?

Thank you in advance

Jan 6, 2017 at 9:07 AM Post #1,781 of 8,758
Hello music friends.

I was going to buy a balanced cable for my HD 800 for 490 dollars. But a friend of mine is sealing his hd800S in a hurry and he's price is 1000 dollars with the senn cable.

So I thought, maybe, just maybe worth to give more 500 dollars and get the cable and a new headphone?

What do you think?

Thank you in advance

You will get a variety of different opinions on this but for me, the HD800S is a WAY better sounding headphone than the HD800 and you should definitely get it.  The stock balanced cable you will get is very good as well so you probably won't need to upgrade the cable.

Jan 6, 2017 at 9:33 AM Post #1,782 of 8,758

Hello music friends.

What do you think?

Thank you in advance

You will get a variety of different opinions on this but for me, the HD800S is a WAY better sounding headphone than the HD800 and you should definitely get it.  The stock balanced cable you will get is very good as well so you probably won't need to upgrade the cable.

well unless your a cable head like me.

Jan 6, 2017 at 9:43 AM Post #1,783 of 8,758

Thank you very much.
I never had a chance to demo the Hd800S

If it is indeed a better HD, it will be a great deal.
Indeed, the original cable is very good.
Another option I was considering : use the 500 difference and get a audeze lcd-2.
Many people kind to consider lcd-2 to be the yin / yang when compared to Hd800
Will be interesting to have both.
My drop off with audeze is the hi hate of drive failure. I cannot have one of these here where I live...
It would be a dead end road...

Jan 6, 2017 at 9:48 AM Post #1,784 of 8,758
Thank you very much.
I never had a chance to demo the Hd800S

If it is indeed a better HD, it will be a great deal.
Indeed, the original cable is very good.
Another option I was considering : use the 500 difference and get a audeze lcd-2.
Many people kind to consider lcd-2 to be the yin / yang when compared to Hd800
Will be interesting to have both.
My drop off with audeze is the hi hate of drive failure. I cannot have one of these here where I live...
It would be a dead end road...

I had an LCD-2 a couple years back and would not recommend it.  If you like the HD800 a lot and are looking for an alternate sounding phone, I've been listening to the HiFiMan Edition X V2 recently and it's a great headphone. Compared to the HD800S it has more prominent bass and a more laid back treble.  A very nice compliment to the HD800. 

Jan 6, 2017 at 10:56 AM Post #1,785 of 8,758

You will get a variety of different opinions on this but for me, the HD800S is a WAY better ............

I concur, although I wouldn’t say “way” better but enough of a change to make an important appreciable difference in overall music enjoyment.

Many people kind to consider lcd-2 to be the yin / yang when compared to Hd800 ........

With regards to the LCD-2s, they’re a compliment to the 800s, especially the base…an interesting phone and great to chill out with but the lack of treble extension constantly made me feel I was missing half the music.
I’ve recently let mine go and replaced them with the HD650s (also HD6XX) for when I need a break from the 800Ss resolving power…. just received a pair of AKG K7XX and they’re also IMHO an alternative/ complimentary phone.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back