Sennheiser HD800 S Impressions Thread (read first post for summary)
Dec 19, 2016 at 7:02 AM Post #1,741 of 8,740
  So should i just pull the Trigger, I am currently listening to Savant (an electronic Mastermind), and the Treble Spike, highlights all the synths in  a really nice manner, i also wonder how much soundstage is sacrifieced with the new model.... 
happy_face1.gif

The sound stage is a bit constricted than the original. If you really like the treble spike (which basically was the whole idea for the newer version) then I would not recommend the newer. It drills down to your preferences. I would suggest to go for the newer since Sennheiser offers 30 day return policy atleast in Germany.

Dec 19, 2016 at 8:47 AM Post #1,742 of 8,740
  So should i just pull the Trigger, ..................how much soundstage is sacrifieced with the new model.... 
happy_face1.gif

I know others will disagree but IMHO the difference in sound stage is minimal, even the tonality and it’s only through long term listening to really get a grasp on the treble differences, it almost comes down to specific recordings to discern any differences at all when doing an “A” “B” comparison….
The biggest difference and not completely obvious at first.... and important for me, was just a slight added naturalness with regards to the treble on the “S” that was missing on the original and depending on the recording the appearance of more base which in turn adds a bit more warmth....although it is difficult to call the 800 even the S anything but warm....

Dec 20, 2016 at 8:00 AM Post #1,743 of 8,740
After A/B/C-ing the HD600, HD650 and the HD800S, I made a drastic decision (which I may or may not regret) today and returned my beloved HD 800S. While they were really amazing headphones, my mind says I'm better off with the HD 650 & the HD 600 combo for a far lesser price. I bought them used for €400 while the HD 800S costed €1500 for me. Of course, the 600/650 combo has not the realism nor the details (600 comes close) of the HD 800S but I truly believe I will appreciate good music with these. I can switch between 600s for neutrality when I really need them for critical listening and 650s for more relaxed listening. 

Please note, I hold nothing against the HD 800S they are truly a masterpiece, I'm just trying to convince myself to be content with what I already own. Go ahead bash me :D

Dec 20, 2016 at 8:16 AM Post #1,744 of 8,740
I've sometimes wondered if i should sell everything and be content with my first beloved headphone, the HD650.

So i get your decision, but are you still keeping your 4500€ amp/dac combo to run those headphones? 
eek.gif

If i had a gear that expensive, i'd feel criminal if i didn't connect a high end headphone to it.

Dec 20, 2016 at 8:25 AM Post #1,745 of 8,740
After A/B/C-ing the HD600, HD650 and the HD800S, I made a drastic decision (which I may or may not regret) today and returned my beloved HD 800S. While they were really amazing headphones, my mind says I'm better off with the HD 650 & the HD 600 combo for a far lesser price. I bought them used for €400 while the HD 800S costed €1500 for me. Of course, the 600/650 combo has not the realism nor the details (600 comes close) of the HD 800S but I truly believe I will appreciate good music with these. I can switch between 600s for neutrality when I really need them for critical listening and 650s for more relaxed listening. 

Please note, I hold nothing against the HD 800S they are truly a masterpiece, I'm just trying to convince myself to be content with what I already own. Go ahead bash me :D

No bashing from me. I usually prefer the 800S but could easily live with the 650 as my only headphone. It's worthy of the most expensive electronics you can hook it up to.

Dec 20, 2016 at 8:34 AM Post #1,746 of 8,740
  I've sometimes wondered if i should sell everything and be content with my first beloved headphone, the HD650.

So i get your decision, but are you still keeping your 4500€ amp/dac combo to run to headphones? 
eek.gif

If i had a pairing that expensive, i'd feel criminal if i didn't connect a high end headphone to it.

Ha ha. That is correct. But if I end up selling my Rag/Yggy I will lose a lot of money on the diminishing value and I may never have the chance to rebuy them again. Of course, this is not the end of the journey :wink:

Dec 20, 2016 at 12:57 PM Post #1,747 of 8,740

Dec 21, 2016 at 11:40 AM Post #1,748 of 8,740
I got to demo the HD800S today. Yes, they are good. But the local HiFi shop i demoed them used Rega Ear Amp with some random cd player as dac..... Really?

They were good don't get me wrong. But didn't do justice on the headphones itself. There was a lot of potential that it missed. 

I have heard HD800 with HDVD800 and it did indeed sound better. Even with the peak in it. 

Reason why i don't own them yet is that i am waiting HDVD 820 to be released by Sennheiser next year. Maybe i should just go to some other Hifi shop that has better amp to test them on... :p 

And yes, with the Rega the HD800S's soundstage sounded waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay smaller than they should and the details were missing. 

Dec 21, 2016 at 12:45 PM Post #1,749 of 8,740
I think it will be a very long wait till the HDVD 820 gets released. Not sure what is causing all the delays.

Dec 21, 2016 at 6:18 PM Post #1,751 of 8,740
My HD 800S just got delivered, and although the differences are pretty minor, they change the character of the headphone substantially, the magic of the hd 800 S is that they sound as if someone took a tiny pinch of the hd 650 and added it to the HD 800, while also slightly reducing the peaky peak and refining the treble. 

but nevertheless, this is my favorite headphone by far!  Its a very musical microscope to disect music or to roam in a world full of it, my next ugrade, that will be added, soon is a schiit mjolnir 2, to benefit from xlr!
gs1000.gif
 Impressed!

Dec 21, 2016 at 8:59 PM Post #1,753 of 8,740
  My HD 800S just got delivered, and although the differences are pretty minor, they change the character of the headphone substantially, the magic of the hd 800 S is that they sound as if someone took a tiny pinch of the hd 650 and added it to the HD 800, while also slightly reducing the peaky peak and refining the treble. 

but nevertheless, this is my favorite headphone by far!  Its a very musical microscope to disect music or to roam in a world full of it, my next ugrade, that will be added, soon is a schiit mjolnir 2, to benefit from xlr!
gs1000.gif
 Impressed!

I agree the differences at first can be minor. Then after a few weeks (at least for me) I realized that I was no longer avoiding brighter recordings in my collection and the improvements were really the finishing touches that in the end were quite profound.

Dec 22, 2016 at 2:58 AM Post #1,754 of 8,740
Ok, I'm going to give my T1 first generation to my brother as a christmas present. I realize I'm not using them any more since I switched to the HD650 and now 800S. One thing I must say, however, is that I find the T1 to fit my head more comfortably than either of the Sennheisers; I prefer the gentle pressure of the T1 earpads around the ears, without much contact of the headband at the top of the head, above the HD800S that is somehow hanging from the headband. Matter of taste, probably.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back