Sennheiser HD800 S Impressions Thread (read first post for summary)
Dec 16, 2016 at 5:35 AM Post #1,711 of 8,790

If the HD 800 S is used on a good system, I don't see the point of owning both the HD 650 and the HD 800 S. The HD 650 doesn't really address any weakness of the HD 800 S that well.

I think a planar headphone (with a good planar bass) makes more sense to compliment the HD 800 S with rather than the HD 650.

I agree with the first sentence. I really dislike planar sound though. Planar headphones sound boring and lifeless to me. If I were him, I'd buy Fostex TH-610 as a 2nd headphone. It's closed back and has superb low end. It would complement HD800 S well.

Dec 16, 2016 at 6:05 AM Post #1,712 of 8,790
  I agree with the first sentence. I really dislike planar sound though. Planar headphones sound boring and lifeless to me. If I were him, I'd buy Fostex TH-610 as a 2nd headphone. It's closed back and has superb low end. It would complement HD800 S well.

I think I'm also not a planar guy based on all the planar headphones I heard, but alot of people seem to like them.

I can't comment on the Fostex headphone since I never heard them.

Dec 16, 2016 at 6:14 AM Post #1,713 of 8,790

I think I'm also not a planar guy based on all the planar headphones I heard, but alot of people seem to like them.

Sorry but I slightly disagree. I had many planars and to me only the LCD 3 was worth keeping. I had spent only few months with them before the right driver failed and even today I crave for that magical mids. If I was given a choice to have only one of the LCD 3 or HD 800S, I will choose the LCD 3 only in terms of sound quality. Doesn't mean the HD 800S are bad, they are the best technically and sonically. But sometimes I crave for that lushness. IMO they compliment well each other. Unfortunately, they come with many caevats like the heavy weight and driver issues. 

Dec 16, 2016 at 6:29 AM Post #1,714 of 8,790

Americans like Audeze because of "Made in USA" mentality but they are poorly made headphones that don't warrant their sale price. Others buy them because of hype. Oppos sound even worse, lifeless and soulless. Hifimans, well more reasonably priced but still carry the planar sound that doesn't convey emotions. I prefer dynamics. I wish I could have Sennheiser Orpheus 2 Electrostats though. 
smile.gif

Dec 16, 2016 at 6:30 AM Post #1,715 of 8,790
  Sorry but I slightly disagree. I had many planars and to me only the LCD 3 was worth keeping. I had spent only few months with them before the right driver failed and even today I crave for that magical mids. If I was given a choice to have only one of the LCD 3 or HD 800S, I will choose the LCD 3 only in terms of sound quality. Doesn't mean the HD 800S are bad, they are the best technically and sonically. But sometimes I crave for that lushness. IMO they compliment well each other. Unfortunately, they come with many caevats like the heavy weight and driver issues. 

Well, the weight is a big issue for me with most of the Audeze's headphones I tried. So those headphones are a no go for me.

Focal ticked all the boxes, hence why I assume that I'm simply not a planar guy since I have always ended up with a dynamic headphone.

Dec 16, 2016 at 6:50 AM Post #1,716 of 8,790

Well, the weight is a big issue for me with most of the Audeze's headphones I tried. So those headphones are a no go for me.

Focal ticked all the boxes, hence why I assume that I'm simply not a planar guy since I have always ended up with a dynamic headphone.

Agree. Audeze's were getting heavier with every follow up version. Especially the LCD XC and LCD 4. At 650gms and maybe 700 with the cables, it is not even listenable for even 20 minutes. I had to remove them for a few seconds and put them back. The carbon fibre band is a joke, the leather touches the CF band and it creates a hotspot on the center of the head and users came up with a mod of making new holes in the leather. I really don't understand why they had to make the headphones with wood and make it so heavier. I prefer function over form. In the end, I just grab my Sennheisers and continue listening for a good 3 hours.

Americans like Audeze because of "Made in USA" mentality but they are poorly made headphones that don't warrant their sale price. Others buy them because of hype. Oppos sound even worse, lifeless and soulless. Hifimans, well more reasonably priced but still carry the planar sound that doesn't convey emotions. I prefer dynamics. I wish I could have Sennheiser Orpheus 2 Electrostats though. 
smile.gif

I guess there is nothing to do with patriotism here :) I'm from Germany but didn't like beyerdynamic's offerings nor the ultrasone's :wink: I truly understand that everyone's opinion differ. 
Boring and lifeless is what I thought with the LCD X, I don't really understand how they even like it, it is neither neutral nor mid centric. It has a very unique sound signature that left me felt like what did I just do with my money. So ended up selling them very soon. But the LCD 3/LCD 4s were amazing though, I wouldn't call them boring or lifeless. The Hifiman HE 6 is very very similar to the HD 800S except for the soundstage. Oppo's I never tried them. 

Dec 16, 2016 at 7:01 AM Post #1,717 of 8,790

I guess there is nothing to do with patriotism here :) I'm from Germany but didn't like beyerdynamic's offerings nor the ultrasone's :wink: I truly understand that everyone's opinion differ. 
Boring and lifeless is what I thought with the LCD X, I don't really understand how they even like it, it is neither neutral nor mid centric. It has a very unique sound signature that left me felt like what did I just do with my money. So ended up selling them very soon. But the LCD 3/LCD 4s were amazing though, I wouldn't call them boring or lifeless. The Hifiman HE 6 is very very similar to the HD 800S except for the soundstage. Oppo's I never tried them. 

Sennheiser ist die beste Deutsche Kopfhörerfirma. 
smile.gif

Never try Oppos, way overpriced. PM-3 is alright for its price and it's better than PM-1 and PM-2 actually but its treble is too subdued, it lacks excitement. 

Dec 16, 2016 at 7:04 AM Post #1,718 of 8,790

Sennheiser ist die beste Deutsche Kopfhörerfirma. 
smile.gif

Never try Oppos, way overpriced. PM-3 is alright for its price and it's better than PM-1 and PM-2 actually but its treble is too subdued, it lacks excitement. 

Evet :)

Oppos never. Have you tried upgrading your HD 800S cable? I'm eyeing on the Nordost Heimdall 2 but very skeptical since they are very expensive and there are a lot of debates about sound quality improvements over the stock cable.

Dec 16, 2016 at 7:14 AM Post #1,719 of 8,790
  Evet :)

Oppos never. Have you tried upgrading your HD 800S cable? I'm eyeing on the Nordost Heimdall 2 but very skeptical since they are very expensive and there are a lot of debates about sound quality improvements over the stock cable.

I don't believe in cables (unless it's junk). Sennheiser stock cables very high quality in my opinion.

Dec 16, 2016 at 9:31 AM Post #1,720 of 8,790
Im a cable guy, part of the dhc cult, prion 4 balanced and hd800S just gets better and better. Course value is out the window but i never regretted a cable from peter. Use chaparone 3 interconnects xlr from TT to gsxmk2 no idea on comparisson as i now just buy dhc period. But its a good combo for hd800S.
Again just from my own limited experience la900 is a great compliment. I use hd800S mostly but everytime i go back to la900 ear to ear grin.

Dec 17, 2016 at 4:50 AM Post #1,721 of 8,790
The HD800s sound good on the Chord Mojo, the treble grain is brought under check, because the Mojo is dark in the top end treble and reduces sibilances.

Keeping the strained sibilances under control is key for me to keep these as a low to moderate level can. Finally I can rest the K701s.

This Mojo hype is somewhat real. The Delta Sigma sound is moved downwards in frequency where it contributes to mid detailing and speed and is far less offensive than up top...The Bryson BDA 1 dac tried to do the same thing, but not quite as well. Both suffered the same consequences a somewhat rolled treble.

Dec 17, 2016 at 9:55 PM Post #1,722 of 8,790
Had em for a few days now. I'll never hear guitars the same way again...
Either way, anyone can recommend a DAC to pair with the HD800S? Preferably one that smoothen out the treble a bit. I plan to get the iCan Pro as the amp so if anyone has an info on that it would be much appreciated :)

I've had the pro ican for a couple weeks now and it's a wonderful amp with the HD800S, especially on the first tube setting. I had been using the hdva600 prior to that and IMO the ican is a nice improvement, a little easier to listen to in the treble and better resolution. I also now hear a hole in the middle of the soundtage with the hdva600 that I never noticed before. The ican is more coherent and tighter across the board.

Dec 18, 2016 at 4:41 AM Post #1,723 of 8,790
I've had the pro ican for a couple weeks now and it's a wonderful amp with the HD800S, especially on the first tube setting. I had been using the hdva600 prior to that and IMO the ican is a nice improvement, a little easier to listen to in the treble and better resolution. I also now hear a hole in the middle of the soundtage with the hdva600 that I never noticed before. The ican is more coherent and tighter across the board.

For cheaper you can get the Auralic Taurus MKII which has even a bigger and deeper soundstage while also being more detailed and accurate. And it also looks super sexy on the desk.

But if you like tubes, the iCan seems pretty cool since it's a SS Tube hybrid and it's also a true balanced amplifier.

Dec 18, 2016 at 4:47 AM Post #1,724 of 8,790

Thank you for the impression. I'm really interested in the amp especially because of it's small footprint, completely balanced circuitry and that is has a full solid state circuit and tube circuit (not hybrid). Was just concerned if they sacrificed anything to keep the package small because it does seem a little too convenient.

Dec 18, 2016 at 5:06 AM Post #1,725 of 8,790

Thank you for the impression. I'm really interested in the amp especially because of it's small footprint, completely balanced circuitry and that is has a full solid state circuit and tube circuit (not hybrid). Was just concerned if they sacrificed anything to keep the package small because it does seem a little too convenient.

GSX mk2 is balanced end to end solid state dual mono power and amp desighn. Very nice depth and transparency but not a small footprint tho.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back