Sennheiser HD800 S Impressions Thread (read first post for summary)
Dec 18, 2016 at 7:26 AM Post #1,726 of 8,819
For cheaper you can get the Auralic Taurus MKII which has even a bigger and deeper soundstage while also being more detailed and accurate. And it also looks super sexy on the desk.

But if you like tubes, the iCan seems pretty cool since it's a SS Tube hybrid and it's also a true balanced amplifier.

Just to clarify, it's not a hybrid. It's fully solid state or fully tube. Have you actually heard the ican?

Dec 18, 2016 at 8:17 AM Post #1,727 of 8,819
Just to clarify, it's not a hybrid. It's fully solid state or fully tube. Have you actually heard the ican?

How else would I know what it sounds like if I didn't heard it before? 

And that's what I meaned by it, that is both a SS and tube amplifier instead of a SS amplifier only. 

Dec 18, 2016 at 10:39 AM Post #1,728 of 8,819

For cheaper you can get the Auralic Taurus MKII which has even a bigger and deeper soundstage while also being more detailed and accurate. And it also looks super sexy on the desk.

But if you like tubes, the iCan seems pretty cool since it's a SS Tube hybrid and it's also a true balanced amplifier.

The Auralic Taurus MKII is $1899 while the Pro iCan is $1699?

Dec 18, 2016 at 10:52 AM Post #1,729 of 8,819
  The Auralic Taurus MKII is $1899 while the Pro iCan is $1699?

I guess it depends on where you live I suppose. Here the iCan Pro is more expensive :p

Dec 18, 2016 at 11:38 AM Post #1,731 of 8,819
  Ah ok makes sense. Do you think the difference in sound quality is much more different than the iCan for it's solid state counterpart?

It depends what you're looking for. It's not the amplifier that gives the biggest and deepest soundstage but it might give a more enjoyable listening experience depending on someones personal preferences.

Personally, I'd stay away from amplifiers because DAC's can drive headphones without a problem in 2016.

Dec 18, 2016 at 11:59 AM Post #1,732 of 8,819

It depends what you're looking for. It's not the amplifier that gives the biggest and deepest soundstage but it might give a more enjoyable listening experience depending on someones personal preferences.

Personally, I'd stay away from amplifiers because DAC's can drive headphones without a problem in 2016.

As far as I know, only Chord dacs can drive headphones directly from dac section. Most other products are dac/amps, meaning they are not solely dacs but are amps as well. For instance HDVD800 has a dac and an amp inside, it is both a dac and an amp. Chord Dave on the other hand, has a dac that can directly drive headphones. Two totally different ways to drive headphones.

Dec 18, 2016 at 12:53 PM Post #1,733 of 8,819

This is very true, one of the appealing things about this amp is a little more intimate stage which, for me is a benefit making the sound more coherent . The hdva600 has a wider stage but seems to have a hole in the middle.

Dec 18, 2016 at 12:55 PM Post #1,734 of 8,819
How else would I know what it sounds like if I didn't heard it before? 

And that's what I meaned by it, that is both a SS and tube amplifier instead of a SS amplifier only. 

Sorry, didn't mean any offense, there are just a lot of people on head-fi who make judgements about gear they've never actually heard.

Dec 18, 2016 at 1:58 PM Post #1,735 of 8,819
I still give the edge to my amp running chord TT

Dec 18, 2016 at 3:30 PM Post #1,736 of 8,819
Ok spent an entire weekend with my HD800S. Whatever reason, the original sibilant grain has smoothed out. I have better extension and air and smoothness in the treble. From all my rigs.

So at some point... Far away from sobriety, a song comes on, I cant remember which one. I found myself dressed all posh with a cigar, I also happen to have a monocle.

I was up high in the important people's section of this nicely damped concert hall. The sound engineers must be well educated in their crafts. Because the sound coming from this auditorium us brilliant and well damped.

My head must be drooped towards my chest at thus stage, I am reclined in my cosy chair.

So the performers are down below... And I could pinpoint all locations of the instruments fron the stage below.

Ummm... Ok. This is good... What about my other cans.

They're all crap. The only other headphone that can kinda come close is my D7000s. The stage us much smaller, the sound is less precise. But the frequency response is more complete.

But the HD800S was far ahead in this kind of presentation.

My better rigs, make this even better.

Dec 18, 2016 at 3:32 PM Post #1,737 of 8,819
Im the Proud owner of a HD 800 now, and I absolutely love it, my T1s do not even come close to it.
The resolution and Soundstage is on a totally different level. I love the Extremely clear highs and the effortless Bass, i even had to shed tears after first listening to them! Sennheiser now sent me an Offer for the HD800S for 1,1k. And I am extremely tempted to purchase them and sell my HD 800.

Sidenote: I love the treble centric sound of the HD 800 on some songs and the amazing micro detail, they make some instruments sound truly magical! I haven't heard them for long, but myfirst impressions were pretty amazing, the Treble gets hot on some certain songs i listen to, especially some well mastered edm ( edm sounds better than ever before!).

Would it be a good Idea to purchase the HD 800S ?
I tested both side to side Briefly in a Super Noisy environment, and prefered the older brother. But People told me that it takes time to appreciate the HD 800S.

I mostly listen to: Experimental Edm, edm, Jazz, Folk, Acoustic, and classical music.

Amp: Beyerdynamic a 20 ( future upgrade would be a tube amp) but the sound signature and Detail retrieval is perfect with this combination.

Thanks!

Dec 18, 2016 at 3:56 PM Post #1,738 of 8,819
Im the Proud owner of a HD 800 now, and I absolutely love it, my T1s do not even come close to it.
The resolution and Soundstage is on a totally different level. I love the Extremely clear highs and the effortless Bass, i even had to shed tears after first listening to them! Sennheiser now sent me an Offer for the HD800S for 1,1k. And I am extremely tempted to purchase them and sell my HD 800.

Sidenote: I love the treble centric sound of the HD 800 on some songs and the amazing micro detail, they make some instruments sound truly magical! I haven't heard them for long, but myfirst impressions were pretty amazing, the Treble gets hot on some certain songs i listen to, especially some well mastered edm ( edm sounds better than ever before!).

Would it be a good Idea to purchase the HD 800S ?
I tested both side to side Briefly in a Super Noisy environment, and prefered the older brother. But People told me that it takes time to appreciate the HD 800S.

I mostly listen to: Experimental Edm, edm, Jazz, Folk, Acoustic, and classical music.

Amp: Beyerdynamic a 20 ( future upgrade would be a tube amp) but the sound signature and Detail retrieval is perfect with this combination.

Thanks!

I think it narrows down to your preferences.

The HD 800S has more bass quantity which will make you enjoy EDM music more while still retaining the excellent detail retrieval for a non fatiguing higher frequencies. 
But for Jazz, Classical music I think you are better off with the older. 
If I were you, I would pick the HD 800S and never look back at any other phones. 

Personally I preferred the HD 800S not on the initial listen but took me a week to appreciate them ( break-in? ) and I really think they are a true successor to the original. They are way more musical, work great for all genre of music and extremely detailed. Good luck!

Dec 18, 2016 at 4:32 PM Post #1,739 of 8,819
True true

Dec 18, 2016 at 5:56 PM Post #1,740 of 8,819
So should i just pull the Trigger, I am currently listening to Savant (an electronic Mastermind), and the Treble Spike, highlights all the synths in  a really nice manner, i also wonder how much soundstage is sacrifieced with the new model.... 
happy_face1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back