Sennheiser HD800 S Impressions Thread (read first post for summary)
Jul 19, 2016 at 6:01 PM Post #1,246 of 8,697
I don't know, but it surely costs less. I like the Duet, because its sound quality, to my mind, is above its price range. I have a Hugo as well, but I can't say that the difference in sound quality is worth the price difference or I am getting a little deaf with age. The Duet is a very good A/D as well, so you can rip your Vinyl or your old tapes with very good sound quality. A good Vinyl rip can still sound better than the CD. You can even eq it. Then it can get even funkier! Match it to your taste and your hifi. But as far as the HD800S is concerned, be careful with compression and eq. It is very, very revealing. Last night I listened to a CD of Beethoven's 9th and in the last movement, the sound engineer had to surpress some serious clipping, that's something I didn't hear with other phones. Is it better then? Not for this recording. Two edged sword is the term for this, I think. Ah - and if you compare the 800S high frequency sound to my regular in-room speakers AMT, the speakers are a little bit more, but really only a tiny bit, more resolved, especially on voices and cymbals. So you won't get it all, but as a headphone the Sennheiser is fantastic. And natural sounding and very good for extended listening sessions.

Jul 20, 2016 at 12:59 AM Post #1,247 of 8,697
I don't know, but it surely costs less. I like the Duet, because its sound quality, to my mind, is above its price range. I have a Hugo as well, but I can't say that the difference in sound quality is worth the price difference or I am getting a little deaf with age. The Duet is a very good A/D as well, so you can rip your Vinyl or your old tapes with very good sound quality. A good Vinyl rip can still sound better than the CD. You can even eq it. Then it can get even funkier! Match it to your taste and your hifi. But as far as the HD800S is concerned, be careful with compression and eq. It is very, very revealing. Last night I listened to a CD of Beethoven's 9th and in the last movement, the sound engineer had to surpress some serious clipping, that's something I didn't hear with other phones. Is it better then? Not for this recording. Two edged sword is the term for this, I think. Ah - and if you compare the 800S high frequency sound to my regular in-room speakers AMT, the speakers are a little bit more, but really only a tiny bit, more resolved, especially on voices and cymbals. So you won't get it all, but as a headphone the Sennheiser is fantastic. And natural sounding and very good for extended listening sessions.

Yes, it is really revealing. So much revealing that sometimes it is overwhelming and even bothers to listening experience :p. Sometimes a rasp or clap, or even tick sound of a acoustic guitar (which happens mostly a bit after a string is touched) could annoy :D. On the other hand. More realistic sound representation is not possible, soundstage is really immense. I hear even the cymbals loud and clearly of the drums.Just amazing. 

Jul 20, 2016 at 3:09 AM Post #1,248 of 8,697
Sorry to jump in here guys, but I just saw that the HD800 is consistently hovering at or just above $1K on Amazon, so then does the price difference between the original and the S version seem justified?

Anyone who has owned both and want to try to convince me? I know it's a totally subjective question. For some, $100 for a pair of headphones is very expensive, and for others, the best of the best could cost several thousands without batting an eye.

Jul 20, 2016 at 3:49 AM Post #1,249 of 8,697
  Sorry to jump in here guys, but I just saw that the HD800 is consistently hovering at or just above $1K on Amazon, so then does the price difference between the original and the S version seem justified?

Anyone who has owned both and want to try to convince me? I know it's a totally subjective question. For some, $100 for a pair of headphones is very expensive, and for others, the best of the best could cost several thousands without batting an eye.

Well it depends on the music-genre you listen too. For classic-music people prefer the HD800 (soundstage is a bit more).
The HD800S have more bass, not the 6khz peak issue and comes with a extra cable (XLR). The bass on the HD800 seems tighter but have less punch. It has to do with some more distortion noticed in the sub-bass on the HD800S. Being is worth 400-600 dollars extra, well not really. The HD800S are slighty better, but if your budget doesn't allow it, then go for the HD800. Also it depends if you connect it with XLR or 1/4 plug. Buying the XLR-cable for the HD800 cost about 160 / 180 euro's. If you need that cable, well then you might justify the price of the HD800S

Jul 22, 2016 at 12:06 AM Post #1,250 of 8,697
Hi All,
I'm going to apologize in advance for the question but here goes anyway.  I recently purchased the HD800S cans and really like them.  I am running through a Benchmark Media DAC1 amp/dac.  My question is has anyone had time to try aftermarket cables with these yet and if so what were your impressions?  I tend to listen to a lot of jazz instrumentals and vocals.  And....go!

Thanks in advance for the constructive input.

--MJT in Texas

Jul 22, 2016 at 1:37 AM Post #1,251 of 8,697
Hi All,
I'm going to apologize in advance for the question but here goes anyway.  I recently purchased the HD800S cans and really like them.  I am running through a Benchmark Media DAC1 amp/dac.  My question is has anyone had time to try aftermarket cables with these yet and if so what were your impressions?  I tend to listen to a lot of jazz instrumentals and vocals.  And....go!

Thanks in advance for the constructive input.

--MJT in Texas

There was a shootout on aftermarket cables done a few months ago

https://headmania.org/2014/06/18/aftermarket-cables-for-sennheiser-hd800/

Jul 22, 2016 at 1:40 AM Post #1,252 of 8,697
Really struggling with a decision right now. Not sure if I should get the HD800 and mod it or get a HD800S.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/799494/totl-hp-shootout-2-abyss-hek-hex-hd800s-hd800-heavy-mod-hd800-stock-ygg-rok-stack

Shows thats that a modded HD800 can sound "better" than HD800S with proper modding and tweaks.

Does any one know what kind of mods @johnjen did?

I am currently using the LCD3F and Bass the mids but want some better soundstage, clarity and treble. Heard the HD800S and enjoyed them but all this reading about HD800 mods has got me confused.

Can save quite abit of money if I just get an old HD800 and mod it vs getting a HD800S.

Look forward to everyones comments.

Jul 22, 2016 at 4:58 AM Post #1,253 of 8,697
  Price in Germany is the same as anywhere else in Europe. 1598/1600 euro's. I still find it weird that it is cheaper in the United States. Especially since it it produced in Germany and not in the USA. It should cost there 1768 dollars and not 1600 dollars. 

Please remember : Europe countries need to "feed" a big amount of politicians so there is a 20-25 % VAT.
biggrin.gif
frown.gif

As a result is very common to be able to buy European products cheaper from outside of EU. It apply also to online transactions so if you are dealing with a honest EU seller and you are buying from outside EU you don't need to pay the VAT !!! 20-25% are serious money... at least for some of us. Now I'm living in Korea so I've paid less than 1600 Euro (actually even less than 1600 USD) and shipping was included !!! Also nowadays exchange rate is convenient to buy from EU. Not to mention GB :).
Again: contact "Meier Audio". You will receive usually a very fast reply and you will not be disappointed. Highly recommended.

Jul 22, 2016 at 6:01 AM Post #1,254 of 8,697

Please remember : Europe countries need to "feed" a big amount of politicians so there is a 20-25 % VAT.
biggrin.gif
frown.gif

As a result is very common to be able to buy European products cheaper from outside of EU. It apply also to online transactions so if you are dealing with a honest EU seller and you are buying from outside EU you don't need to pay the VAT !!! 20-25% are serious money... at least for some of us. Now I'm living in Korea so I've paid less than 1600 Euro (actually even less than 1600 USD) and shipping was included !!! Also nowadays exchange rate is convenient to buy from EU. Not to mention GB :).
Again: contact "Meier Audio". You will receive usually a very fast reply and you will not be disappointed. Highly recommended.

That sir is not how it works. Packages from outside EU above (100 euro's) will be stopped @ the customs. Then import tax of 21% need to be paid. After payment the product will be delivered.

Jul 22, 2016 at 11:27 AM Post #1,255 of 8,697
Really struggling with a decision right now. Not sure if I should get the HD800 and mod it or get a HD800S.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/799494/totl-hp-shootout-2-abyss-hek-hex-hd800s-hd800-heavy-mod-hd800-stock-ygg-rok-stack

Shows thats that a modded HD800 can sound "better" than HD800S with proper modding and tweaks.

I am currently using the LCD3F and Bass the mids but want some better soundstage, clarity and treble. Heard the HD800S and enjoyed them but all this reading about HD800 mods has got me confused.

Can save quite abit of money if I just get an old HD800 and mod it vs getting a HD800S.

From what I have been able to determine doing side-by-side comparisons between the HD800 and HD800S prior to purchase, and from what I had seen written out of Sennheiser, SUPPOSEDLY the HD800S incorporates the mods that most folks were doing to their HD800 headphones.  I'm sure that there are those that will argue the minutae of this statement to death but in my opinion 1) I prefer the sound of the HD800S and most importantly 2) This is a totally subjective thing based on how your head is built -vs- mine -vs- others.  No absolutes.  I would suggest you see if you can also listen to both prior to purchase.  You won't be disappointed.  These are the most beautiful sounding things I've ever heard with the possible exception of the SR-009s at >$4K.  Take if for what it's worth but form your own opinions.

Jul 22, 2016 at 11:43 AM Post #1,256 of 8,697
There was a shootout on aftermarket cables done a few months ago

https://headmania.org/2014/06/18/aftermarket-cables-for-sennheiser-hd800/

I bought a norne cable from head fi classifieds based on the headmania.org review for my HD800S. I couldn't compare against the stock cable.
Anyway, they are back on sale and I have put them in classifieds, FYI if someone is interested.

Jul 22, 2016 at 12:00 PM Post #1,258 of 8,697
You couldn't compare against the stock cable?  Why not?

I have listed the stock cable for sale as new and would like to keep it as such. Initially thought of selling all stock cables and keep the norne. But... looking at how much I spent on hd800s, I see this as unnecessary right now.

If I sell norne then, I might start using the stock cable.

Jul 22, 2016 at 3:17 PM Post #1,259 of 8,697

I have an HD800 and also debated getting an 800S.  If you're not opposed to equalization, I highly recommend the 800 with Sonarworks.  It transforms them to an amazing level, imo.

Jul 22, 2016 at 3:20 PM Post #1,260 of 8,697

I have an HD800 and also debated getting an 800S.  If you're not opposed to equalization, I highly recommend the 800 with Sonarworks.  It transforms them to an amazing level, imo.

Is there a way to use sonarworks EQ with iTunes and Amarra?  I briefly tested it the other night and couldn't figure it out within an hour, so I just gave up.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back