Sennheiser HD800 S Impressions Thread (read first post for summary)
Aug 3, 2016 at 7:33 AM Post #1,306 of 8,689
  Well it depends a lot on the genre and source. Most of the music I could play @ very high volume. But I find a rockband (Hands Like Houses) album on Tidal. And somehow on high volume I notice a small distortion/rattle. But it might be in the recording though. Since I hear it as well on my other headphones. Maybe they used bad microphones to record the heavy instrumental part make it clipping/distort.

Sometimes I wish Head-Fi was more like some other blog sites where the history of the thread was easier to follow.

I saw your post, but I think the issues were being reported by @commonhorse. And I'm definitely not disregarding yours or anyone else's posts. Just my personal point of view - HD800/800S is for me a quiet evening. HD650 or HE1000 is more for my rocking out mode 
biggrin.gif

Aug 3, 2016 at 7:55 AM Post #1,307 of 8,689
  Well it depends a lot on the genre and source. Most of the music I could play @ very high volume. But I find a rockband (Hands Like Houses) album on Tidal. And somehow on high volume I notice a small distortion/rattle on some heavy-songs. But it might be in the recording though. Since I hear it as well on my other headphones. Maybe they used bad microphones to record the heavy instrumental part make it clipping/distort. I had something like that before with my Shure SRH1840. That was a hair inside the driver. But I think the HD800S are kinda closed (hard to get a hair in there). I have been reading on it the last couple of days. 

- Some people say to hear microphonics with the stock-HD800S cable. That changing the cable removed it.
- Other say that it might be a issue with tubes. Although, if it is a issue iwth tubes, I think you hear it on all tracks?
- I found one guy saying that it was a hair. Think you hear that on all tracks as well?
- Found also a guy the distortion was caused by a Winamp Bass-plugin being enabled and causing the issue.

Quote:
  Sometimes I wish Head-Fi was more like some other blog sites where the history of the thread was easier to follow.

I saw your post, but I think the issues were being reported by @commonhorse. And I'm definitely not disregarding yours or anyone else's posts. Just my personal point of view - HD800/800S is for me a quiet evening. HD650 or HE1000 is more for my rocking out mode 
biggrin.gif

Well having more people confirming something helps. I have been reading up on it. My first HD800S I received was defective duo the left connector had to much movement causing a annoying crackle when moving my head. Now I have a second one and I noticed sometimes that small distortion/rattle/microphonics on a high volume. With some rock/metal bands I hear nothing like this, but I found a band that has this issue : Hands like Houses). Just find a song with some real instrumental stuff and hear. It might be in the recording. 

I did test some of the songs with my other headphones and I hear it there as well. I might be in the recording :D

Aug 3, 2016 at 10:55 AM Post #1,308 of 8,689
Hmm it seems to be in the track itself. I listened on another setup with multiple headphones.  You could hear it on the Hands Like Houses - Colourblind song on the end (about 2:30) in the song. When the rough part happens. It is sad that some bands are having issues with microphones (clipping) and do not check their own songs on faults. Noticed it as well with the new Editors - All the kings song. A annoying crackle sound in the beginning of the song and multiple times further in the song. 

Aug 5, 2016 at 3:44 AM Post #1,310 of 8,689
I mainly listen to movie soundtracks but I guess Daft Punk is one thing that comes to mind. In general my ears have a tingling sensation that lasts several hours so that's been a bit worrying. Maybe it's just my ears.

Aug 5, 2016 at 5:18 AM Post #1,312 of 8,689
AUSTRALIANS!

I'm hosting a review tour for the Sennheiser HD800s. 

All are welcome to apply!

Thread is here - get involved! 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/816375/official-sennheiser-hd800s-australian-review-tour-now-taking-applications

Aug 5, 2016 at 6:26 AM Post #1,313 of 8,689
Aug 7, 2016 at 11:12 AM Post #1,314 of 8,689
I just added Headphone Guru's review to the first post. I added the Headphonia review link almost week ago...

Aug 11, 2016 at 12:27 PM Post #1,315 of 8,689
Although it is said the 800s is better than 800,
That is not accurate truth, but just an easier tonality.

Any type of type of tiny distortion or harshness in treble region that is not immediately noticed,
will be revealed by this headphone as listening fatigue.

It is not actually the headphone, but instead it ability of portrayal of the slightest details and resolution that even cables can be noticed .

You have to realize that your real answer is to look elsewhere and realize that these headphones are portraying your system's weaknesses. .

Upgrade path is inevitable. ..

Aug 11, 2016 at 2:15 PM Post #1,316 of 8,689

Any type of type of tiny distortion or harshness in treble region that is not immediately noticed,

It is not actually the headphone, but instead it ability of portrayal of the slightest details and resolution that even cables can be noticed .

You have to realize that your real answer is to look elsewhere and realize that these headphones are portraying your system's weaknesses. .

Because HD800 doesn't have any elevated treble 
rolleyes.gif

Aug 11, 2016 at 2:33 PM Post #1,317 of 8,689

So the HD 800 having resonance in it's sound is a weakness of my system? Dude, it is coming from the headphone.

Aug 11, 2016 at 2:49 PM Post #1,318 of 8,689
  Hey Thenazgul, I noticed that you're sourcing from a Lyr 2. I was thinking of trying out tubes to see if it smooths out the sound but would you consider going balanced with a Mjolnir 2 or do you think a Lyr 2 is adequate enough? Thanks.

Sorry for the late response. I think the Lyr-2 is adequate enough. It is known that a balanced connection is superior in performance. Although the difference is not that major. For my needs the Lyr-2 is adequate enough. rolling tubes is worth it. My Telefunkens really sound very good. Also the Mullards E188CC's seems really good. 

Aug 11, 2016 at 3:01 PM Post #1,319 of 8,689
So the HD 800 having resonance in it's sound is a weakness of my system? Dude, it is coming from the headphone.

I don't think it is really your system. Although I did read the last weeks a lot on the Sennheiser stock-cable. People did report a huge improvement after replacing the cable by a aftermarket one.
I hope to receive my DHC-cable in a few weeks. Then we know for sure. I will review it. 

Aug 11, 2016 at 3:15 PM Post #1,320 of 8,689
Received an aftermarket all copper wire and I noticed less apparent resonance issues with the new cable. Though now I am going all silver :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back