Sennheiser HD800 S Impressions Thread (read first post for summary)
May 12, 2016 at 1:59 PM Post #991 of 8,802
  I am curious about the new HD800S phone, but my issue with the older HD800 (I had it for years)  was not a frequency response or brightness lack-of-detail or even a bass issue. (I actually really liked the controlled detailed transparent bass.)
It was that somehow a sense that the images were sort of distant, with a lack of bloom or inner light that I enjoy on other flagship-level phones (like Grados, Audezes, Staxes, and even on Senn's own HD650 which is a favorite of mine and still gets lots of headtime).
Has anyone else had this impression with the original HD800? Do you know what I mean?
Is the new 800S is better in this area of bloom, image size, intimacy, non-distant sound? That is something I like to have in a headphone to make it engaging and compelling.

The best way to describe the HD800 was that after listening for a while, it was like an arm's length feeling, if that makes any sense.

No.

And perhaps you have hit upon the reason for my preference - I like the HD800S, but with a tube. Give me a DNA Sonnet or a MicroZOTL2, and I'm happy to listen to it for hours. Give me a Meridian Prime or a Schiit Ragnarok, and I'm bored out of my mind in minutes - instead reaching for another headphone, such as the HE-1000.

No, the HD800S is still very much an HD800.

May 12, 2016 at 2:24 PM Post #992 of 8,802
  I am curious about the new HD800S phone, but my issue with the older HD800 (I had it for years)  was not a frequency response or brightness lack-of-detail or even a bass issue. (I actually really liked the controlled detailed transparent bass.)
It was that somehow a sense that the images were sort of distant, with a lack of bloom or inner light that I enjoy on other flagship-level phones (like Grados, Audezes, Staxes, and even on Senn's own HD650 which is a favorite of mine and still gets lots of headtime).
Has anyone else had this impression with the original HD800? Do you know what I mean?
Is the new 800S is better in this area of bloom, image size, intimacy, non-distant sound? That is something I like to have in a headphone to make it engaging and compelling.

The best way to describe the HD800 was that after listening for a while, it was like an arm's length feeling, if that makes any sense.

Richard, I just picked up a pair of HD800S from the classifieds, so I can do a direct comparison with your EXACT pair of HD800 when it arrives.
I feel like what you described is actually what makes the HD800 that you sold to me so special.  The distance it places between the listener and the overall sound allows it to be less fatiguing in the long run.  On the Stratus, I have rolled in some tubes that actually move the presentation of the HD800 closer to the listener and add more 'meat to the bones' without adding fatigue that is often associated with the HD800.  In fact, a few individuals have listened to your HD800 (aka the ones you sold me) and compared it to their own and found that yours is far less fatiguing and superior to theirs.  I will report back with my findings once I get the HD800S and have had ample time to compare it to your prior HD800.

May 12, 2016 at 2:30 PM Post #993 of 8,802
Thank you very much. I have to say what I *liked* about the HD800 was the
1. natural tonalilty;
2. soundstaging and the realistic positioning of instruments and vocals in all dimensions;
3. comfort of course;
4. detail;
5. speed;
6. non-boomy transparent bass;
7. air.

May 12, 2016 at 3:12 PM Post #994 of 8,802
Thank you very much. I have to say what I *liked* about the HD800 was the
1. natural tonalilty;
2. soundstaging and the realistic positioning of instruments and vocals in all dimensions;
3. comfort of course;
4. detail;
5. speed;
6. non-boomy transparent bass;
7. air.
I believe I can help you with that. The real significant difference is tone. With the inclusion of an additional second order harmonic push and defusing the hi freq bump it has changed the tone. I've had people tell me they feel the image is better on both. As an engineer I can tell you that this is subjective. Looking at it from an acoustic perspective the additional push in second order harmonic actually should give you the push you are looking for. The 800S should also feel like the image is closer and more detailed. In addition my impression is that the 800S is a tad better at image size and location reference. What I find odd is so many people buy these kinds of products blind and or by others opinions. Find a dealer, spend time with the product you are considering and then buy. Stop buying based on opinion or blind faith. A good dealer will give you all the time you need to make a decision. Remember the most important thing in audio. Your ears are exclusive to you just like a fingerprint and it's your ears you are trying please not someone else's. Reviewers tend to give a less sides petspective and are good to read but the real responsibility is yours. If you need help finding a dealer that can give you the ability to decide for yourself give me a shout and I'll help you locate a good quality seller. I know almost every good dealer in the country and so it's easy for me to assist in that arena. Good luck!

The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
May 12, 2016 at 3:48 PM Post #995 of 8,802

This actually makes perfect sense to me. Imaging on the HD800 is like nothing I've ever heard before -- it's unique and surreal and frankly somewhat fatiguing after a while. I find the HD800S to have much more conventional imaging -- some of the uniqueness of the HD800 has disappeared. So far I think this is a good thing... but then again, I haven't listened to the HD800 at all since the S arrived.

May 12, 2016 at 5:25 PM Post #997 of 8,802
I believe I can help you with that. The real significant difference is tone. With the inclusion of an additional second order harmonic push and defusing the hi freq bump it has changed the tone. I've had people tell me they feel the image is better on both. As an engineer I can tell you that this is subjective. Looking at it from an acoustic perspective the additional push in second order harmonic actually should give you the push you are looking for. The 800S should also feel like the image is closer and more detailed. In addition my impression is that the 800S is a tad better at image size and location reference. What I find odd is so many people buy these kinds of products blind and or by others opinions. Find a dealer, spend time with the product you are considering and then buy. Stop buying based on opinion or blind faith. A good dealer will give you all the time you need to make a decision. Remember the most important thing in audio. Your ears are exclusive to you just like a fingerprint and it's your ears you are trying please not someone else's. Reviewers tend to give a less sides petspective and are good to read but the real responsibility is yours. If you need help finding a dealer that can give you the ability to decide for yourself give me a shout and I'll help you locate a good quality seller. I know almost every good dealer in the country and so it's easy for me to assist in that arena. Good luck!

Great, great post 
smile.gif

May 12, 2016 at 6:32 PM Post #998 of 8,802

Great, great post 
smile.gif

odd is how i roll, worked well for me
L3000.gif

May 12, 2016 at 8:11 PM Post #999 of 8,802
these cans have costed me a fortune in I tunes downloads
blink.gif

May 13, 2016 at 2:19 AM Post #1,000 of 8,802
Hi,
I have an idea to buy HD800s. So few hours ago i just went to near by sennheiser dealar and experience hd600 ( using chord mojo) and i feel that some time after listen bit unconfertable to my ears.
1. Pls let me know in hd800s also have such issue?
2.In sennheiser website it mention as out of stock. So that means this hd800s has some issue?

Pls help me to above points because iam bit new for senhizer headphones. Pls support me , before i place order,

May 13, 2016 at 4:02 AM Post #1,002 of 8,802
these cans have costed me a fortune in I tunes downloads:blink:

That was happening to me so I signed up for Apple Music . The way I see it is that I will always listen to music and buy at least 2 albums a month (based on the last 20 +years ) so it's worth an ongoing subscription and not owning the music for me . Now I am overwhelmed with what to listen to !

May 13, 2016 at 7:03 AM Post #1,003 of 8,802
Hi,
I have an idea to buy HD800s. So few hours ago i just went to near by sennheiser dealar and experience hd600 ( using chord mojo) and i feel that some time after listen bit unconfertable to my ears.
1. Pls let me know in hd800s also have such issue?
2.In sennheiser website it mention as out of stock. So that means this hd800s has some issue?

Pls help me to above points because iam bit new for senhizer headphones. Pls support me , before i place order,
The HD800S fit is nothing like the. 600 in fit. Lighter and much more comfortable. The out of stock is not uncommon and just confirms the demand is higher than production. We have 36 pair on hand last I checked on Monday. If you'd like a set just give us a call

The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
May 13, 2016 at 7:13 AM Post #1,004 of 8,802
Hi one more thing my dealer told me that i can get HD800s in demo price ( which is far low than 1699usd). I want to know from you .. Is that demo unit quality exatly same as original one? Pls help me
HD800s are not easy to get. Production is still lower than demand. Demos are not always bad but being that getting them is so difficult it is rather suspect your dealer would be willing to sell them at a sizable discount. Sennheiser is good about warranty so as long as your dealer is authorized they would be under warranty. So if there is something wrong with them Sennheiser would repair them for you. Some people might not appreciate having to go through that repair process if needed but hey it's a discount, right? If you want a fresh pair we have them in stock and can get them to you in 2 business days anywhere in the US.

May 13, 2016 at 8:06 AM Post #1,005 of 8,802
HD800s are not easy to get. Production is still lower than demand. Demos are not always bad but being that getting them is so difficult it is rather suspect your dealer would be willing to sell them at a sizable discount. Sennheiser is good about warranty so as long as your dealer is authorized they would be under warranty. So if there is something wrong with them Sennheiser would repair them for you. Some people might not appreciate having to go through that repair process if needed but hey it's a discount, right? If you want a fresh pair we have them in stock and can get them to you in 2 business days anywhere in the US.

Thanks for feedback..
Iam from southern east asia.. So too far from usa.
I already call to sennhiser and they confirm that my dealer is authoriezed.
Also my dealar told me item come with original seal pack.And they offer it to me 300usd less than standred price.but they told me quality 100% same normal vs demo version. Is that true?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back