Sennheiser HD800 S Impressions Thread (read first post for summary)
Apr 30, 2016 at 7:52 AM Post #961 of 8,822
  Any idea how an amp like the Grace m9XX would fare with these phones? 

I was shocked at how well the two went together 
eek.gif

Apr 30, 2016 at 4:27 PM Post #962 of 8,822
  I was shocked at how well the two went together 
eek.gif

Awesome. Glad to hear. If you don't mind me asking, did you find the cans to be overly bright or feel any sense of discomfort with this pairing? I understand the S are more reasonable than it's brother but I'm still worried there will be a point where I just have to take them off because my ears are hurting.

Apr 30, 2016 at 4:49 PM Post #963 of 8,822
you can listen for as long as you want

Apr 30, 2016 at 5:31 PM Post #965 of 8,822
  Awesome. Glad to hear. If you don't mind me asking, did you find the cans to be overly bright or feel any sense of discomfort with this pairing? I understand the S are more reasonable than it's brother but I'm still worried there will be a point where I just have to take them off because my ears are hurting.

Not to disagree with @Whazzzup - I think it is completely accurate. But, I found myself more conscious of volume. I could hear things extremely accurately with HD800, without need of volume. Whereas I was used to cranking HE1000 up a little more, to get details to sound more present, and having no issues with volume on HE1000 for long periods of time.

If, I used volume unnecessarily with the HD800, I would tire quickly.

And this I find not to be quite as true with HD800S. I can crank a song for fun and recover.

Apr 30, 2016 at 5:35 PM Post #966 of 8,822
  Sounds good. Another thing I was wondering about is whether it's worth upgrading from a 400i to an S. The only drawbacks I can see is that the S will be a tad more bright. However when it comes to the bass, any idea on whether I'll be losing or gaining with this upgrade?

A friend asked me for my impression of the HD800 once. I have the newer, more open version of the HE400i. I listened to his playlist on it - he playlist is not audiophile quality. He was specifically trying to find out if his music, of known to be poor taste, was tolerable on various headphones.

I found it more tolerable on the HD800, because I could clearly hear the distortion. While the distortion was somewhat lost in noise in the HE400i. I think you'll find the HD800 or HD800S to be quite different from HE400i. It is hard to say that the treble will be bothersome, or simply a clearer way to peer into the music.

As I said above, I found it to be a clearer way to peer into the music, even with the intentionally distorted playlist my friend provided.

May 1, 2016 at 6:35 PM Post #967 of 8,822
That's good to hear. I couldn't stand the HD800 treble so it's good to hear that from you who also have the Liquid Carbon. 
Hi We are a Cavalli Dealer. I've had plenty of time to review the 800's & 800S on Cavalli gear. In fact when using the Liquid Carbon with the 800S it's an amazing synergy. It's also an amazing match with the Mr Speakers Ether C.

The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
May 1, 2016 at 7:35 PM Post #968 of 8,822
That's good to hear. I couldn't stand the HD800 treble so it's good to hear that from you who also have the Liquid Carbon. 
Hi We are a Cavalli Dealer. I've had plenty of time to review the 800's & 800S on Cavalli gear. In fact when using the Liquid Carbon with the 800S it's an amazing synergy. It's also an amazing match with the Mr Speakers Ether C.

+1 on the 800S and LC pairing!

May 3, 2016 at 2:01 PM Post #969 of 8,822
Well my Compliment 4 from Double helix just came in. Nice cable, nice splitter, nice job. I included  a few snaps in comparison to senns stock. 

DHC on left senn stock the right

Before

After

well its a purdy cable but now down to the meat of it, the sound. Fortunately running A/B is a snap, literally and i  will premise three things. One stock is not bad at all, thats not why I purchased.Two, cat hair from my long hair tortoise cat gets everywhere. ( noticed in the shots) Three yes DHC cables make a difference, a subtle yet potent difference. Its like expansive sound meets intimacy. Its bigger but closer, the low end is more impactful and everything seems a bit more live as it were. A nice change, not night and day but certainly fun and something I can live with happily. HD800S just got a tad more fun. Now whether its worth blowing your wallet brains out is up to each, again peter, I'm good with it.

May 3, 2016 at 2:10 PM Post #970 of 8,822
Glad you like the DHC cables, but it sounds like you have only given them a few hours so far. Allow much more time, mine took at least 200-300 hours to really open up and for the magic to begin!

May 3, 2016 at 2:25 PM Post #971 of 8,822
Glad you like the DHC cables, but it sounds like you have only given them a few hours so far. Allow much more time, mine took at least 200-300 hours to really open up and for the magic to begin!

Understood some electrical physics at play, and yes my listening time is in the less than an hour part. Still not bad

May 4, 2016 at 7:12 AM Post #973 of 8,822
Any dealer recommendations on these for places that are authorized resellers where I can get them lower than the $1699 MSRP?
Thanks.

Buy from authorized dealer on line in Canada and get a 25% currency discount.

May 4, 2016 at 12:04 PM Post #975 of 8,822
  Talking about currency can I ask any US based folks if when they mention a price that it includes tax or not please?

Usually without tax. Whether you pay tax (and how much) depends on the state and retailer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back