Sennheiser HD800 S Impressions Thread (read first post for summary)
Nov 26, 2021 at 5:19 AM Post #6,841 of 8,689
Where do I begin? :relaxed:

My journey with tube amps.

Darkvoice 336se
Feliks Audio Elise
Feliks Audio Euforia
Primaluna Dialogue Premium HP
La Figaro 339i
Woo Audio Wa22
Schiit Mjolnir 2
Woo Audio Wa5le
Glenn OTL amp 6 x 6bx7gt with @paramesh now.
ALO Audio Studio Six
Elekit TU-8200
McChanson Destiny 300b amp
Ultrasonic Studio Oblivion

Ultrasonic Studio Odyssey - this is where I stop. I've found what I'm looking for.
http://ultrasonicstudios.org/odyssey/
Thank you for your service.

Nov 26, 2021 at 5:27 AM Post #6,842 of 8,689
Thank you for your service.

Ha, your welcome. What is strange is that it all started with a Aune T1 way back in 2015.

68855_aune_t1s_schwarz_1.jpg

Nov 26, 2021 at 6:05 AM Post #6,843 of 8,689
You have my GEC 6AS7G and GEC U52 !

Hmmm we can negotiate that. Wa22 for 5 gold bars is a fair trade. :wink: With that, I can see Tomas about building my next dream tube amp. I need him to build me an amp that will use 300b, 2a3 and 45 tubes using Sowter transformers. It will be an old school amp built with a sprinkling of new school.
Will visit you guys in person if you are selling the Odyssey lol

Nov 26, 2021 at 6:26 AM Post #6,844 of 8,689
Will visit you guys in person if you are selling the Odyssey lol

If you ever come to Sydney or Canberra for a visit, come and hear it. Be my guest. :) Unfortunately I won't be selling Odyssey. It is 3 years in the making. From collecting the tubes to deciding on an amp builder for it.

What finally convinced me to go for it is Elekit TU-8200. That is my proof of concept amp where I test my NOS EL34, EL39, 807, 6550, KT66 tubes. Once I'm sure that those tubes will satisfy me for my tone preference then I went ahead with Odyssey. With a greenfield project like Odyssey, it might look like a big gamble for me but it's a calculated risk. Old school amp design are not new concepts and a capable amp builder should turn one out well. I went with Tomas of Ultrasonic Studio because his works are very visually appealing and top notch. I had an earlier Oblivion from him so I know that his point to point wiring and soldering is as good as any of the big name tube amp manufacturers. Probably better. I'm not at liberty to show an underside photo of Odyssey but it's a work of art.

Nov 26, 2021 at 8:10 AM Post #6,845 of 8,689
If you ever come to Sydney or Canberra for a visit, come and hear it. Be my guest. :) Unfortunately I won't be selling Odyssey. It is 3 years in the making. From collecting the tubes to deciding on an amp builder for it.

What finally convinced me to go for it is Elekit TU-8200. That is my proof of concept amp where I test my NOS EL34, EL39, 807, 6550, KT66 tubes. Once I'm sure that those tubes will satisfy me for my tone preference then I went ahead with Odyssey. With a greenfield project like Odyssey, it might look like a big gamble for me but it's a calculated risk. Old school amp design are not new concepts and a capable amp builder should turn one out well. I went with Tomas of Ultrasonic Studio because his works are very visually appealing and top notch. I had an earlier Oblivion from him so I know that his point to point wiring and soldering is as good as any of the big name tube amp manufacturers. Probably better. I'm not at liberty to show an underside photo of Odyssey but it's a work of art.
How about some photos then with the tubes switched on?

And what do we prefer: push / pull or SET for the 800/S?
@Sajid Amit .. knowing your SQ preferences .euphoria might not be up your alley !.
Tell me more. How would you describe the Euforia’s signature?

Nov 26, 2021 at 8:50 AM Post #6,846 of 8,689
How about some photos then with the tubes switched on?

And what do we prefer: push / pull or SET for the 800/S?

I'll obliged. :) However to answer your question first. The general consensus amongst tube amp lovers are that SET amps are sweeter and more SQ intoxicating than push pull. PP having more power are better if you desire a powerful tube amp to drive less efficient load speakers.

Odyssey is a SET - single ended triode amp. My first criteria is that it is a headphone amp capable of driving Susvara and HE6Se with ease. It has to be very quiet, with no hiss or hum. It has to be cool or at least not very hot even with many hours of usage. 2nd criteria is that it be able to drive efficient speakers.

Headphone output:
8R – 6.1W
20R – 4.75W
32R – 3.1W
50R – 2W
100R – 1.1W
200R – 551mW
300R – 403mW

Speaker output:
4R - 10.6W
8R - 14.2W

The above is in triode mode. In UL mode, it's 20w into 8 ohms load. Correspondingly in UL mode, power is increased proportionately for all those headphone output impedance.

With LCD4, my volume knob is at most at 11am. Volume is logarithmic rather than linear. Meaning at 12noon, it's much less than half power. At 2pm you'll burst your eardrums.

Odyssey drives my Axis Voice S speakers at 83db efficiency and 5 ohms impedance and typically I would use my Redgum Rgi120enr stereo amp of 160w 8 ohms to drive it.

Nov 26, 2021 at 8:58 AM Post #6,847 of 8,689
I'll obliged. :) However to answer your question first. The general consensus amongst tube amp lovers are that SET amps are sweeter and more SQ intoxicating than push pull. PP having more power are better if you desire a powerful tube amp to drive less efficient load speakers.

Odyssey is a SET - single ended triode amp. My first criteria is that it is a headphone amp capable of driving Susvara and HE6Se with ease. It has to be very quiet, with no hiss or hum. It has to be cool or at least not very hot even with many hours of usage. 2nd criteria is that it be able to drive efficient speakers.

Headphone output:
8R – 6.1W
20R – 4.75W
32R – 3.1W
50R – 2W
100R – 1.1W
200R – 551mW
300R – 403mW

Speaker output:
4R - 10.6W
8R - 14.2W

The above is in triode mode. In UL mode, it's 20w into 8 ohms load. Correspondingly in UL mode, power is increased proportionately for all those headphone output impedance.

With LCD4, my volume knob is at most at 11am. Volume is logarithmic rather than linear. Meaning at 12noon, it's much less than half power. At 2pm you'll burst your eardrums.

Odyssey drives my Axis Voice S speakers at 83db efficiency and 5 ohms impedance and typically I would use my Redgum Rgi120enr stereo amp of 160w 8 ohms to drive it.
Superb. Compelling.

Nov 26, 2021 at 9:52 AM Post #6,854 of 8,689
Tell me more. How would you describe the Euforia’s signature?

I'm almost loath to get into this discussion, especially comparing amps but I'll obliged again. I had Euforia before the amp became mainstream. That is before it became well known. There's nothing wrong with Euforia sound signature. It's smooth, liquid and has that lovely tube lushness. However if you love punch, drive and slam and more bite in the tone then you're better served with amps that use EL34 / KT88, 2A3, 300b tubes than OTL amps that uses 6as7 / 5998 tubes.

This is where it's funny. If you go to the Euforia thread. Almost everyone there uses KT88, EL34, etc tubes rather than the 6as7 tubes that Euforia is designed for. Don't ask me how Euforia can handle KT88 or EL34. Apparently it can but it will never be ideal. Feliks Audio will never endorsed KT88 / EL34 tubes in Euforia. But I will speak no more. I will leave those who choose to use those amps as they want.

Nov 26, 2021 at 7:40 PM Post #6,855 of 8,689
Is the HD800s meant to be one of the best at instrument separation? By that, what I mean is, for example, if you're listening to the drummer play an intricate hi-hat pattern in a noisy metal band - how easy it is to follow that hi-hat pattern when the rest of the band starts roaring. Because I found the HD800s weren't the best at that - quiet and intricate details couldn't easily be followed when things got busy and noisy. They were not really any better than my Focal Elex in that aspect... But I suppose that's going to be difficult for any headphone to pull off...

Does anyone share the same experience?

And what are the best headphones for exactly this quality; being able to hear quiet and intricate details in the midst of noisy chaos.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back