Sennheiser HD800 S Impressions Thread (read first post for summary)
Nov 5, 2021 at 2:56 PM Post #6,736 of 8,761
And I’m going to be the owner of a HD800s for the first time 🙂
I got a good deal (I think) for a brand new pair after having looked for a used one for a while. It should be with me at the start of next week and I will be using a Manley Absolute and a Denafrips Venus II as DAC….don’t know what to expect

Nov 6, 2021 at 5:04 AM Post #6,739 of 8,761
Sennheiser must be wondering why this sudden interest in the HD800S. 😀
They are great sounding headphones. I still think their clarity and instrument separation is one of the best in the business.

Nov 6, 2021 at 9:20 AM Post #6,740 of 8,761
I'm so stoked to say I own a pair of these now. I mainly produce music and am not a big audiophile, my main will be to mix with these. I'll surely be using them to listen as well since I haven't ever heard a pair of headphones sound so freaking good. Mind is blown!!

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2021 at 9:44 AM Post #6,741 of 8,761
Listening to the HD800S on the Singxer SA-1 with FAW Claire cables... spacious, smooth, detailed, everything I can ask for. It's a legend at this point... I think the perfect duo under $2K is the HD800S / LCD-3. Classic combo that covers a lot of music that brings endless enjoyment

Nov 6, 2021 at 3:16 PM Post #6,742 of 8,761
They are great sounding headphones. I still think their clarity and instrument separation is one of the best in the business.

Succinctly put !

The original, unadulterated HD800 came back to me from my son - finally. Had this HD800 since 2017 and it's still spotlessly new. :) Totally respecting Odyssey now because the way it make this HD800 sound bothers on the obscenely good.

HD800 - emphasis is on the treble, clarity, details and wide soundstage. Very airy. Odyssey just fills it up with that tight, fast and lovely tube tone, giving it the body texture that a solid state amp wouldn't do.

HD800S - treble is dial back slightly but definitely not lacking. Bass is more prominent. Nearly as airy as the HD800. Same superb soundstage. You can tell these 2 headphones have similar DNA that's for sure. It's unmistakeable.

Despite having the He1000se and LCD4, I still love these Sennheisers.

IMG_3357.jpg IMG_3352.jpg

Nov 7, 2021 at 6:43 PM Post #6,744 of 8,761
How do you think the Hd800s compares to the D8000 Pro, if at all?
Outside of the accurate sound and wide soundstage that HD800's have over just about every headphone, the D8K Pro's sound better to my ears. They are fuller, can match the HD800's transients while sounding more musical with a better bass response.

Nov 8, 2021 at 1:23 AM Post #6,749 of 8,761
Outside of the accurate sound and wide soundstage that HD800's have over just about every headphone, the D8K Pro's sound better to my ears. They are fuller, can match the HD800's transients while sounding more musical with a better bass response.
Thanks. I figured that might be the case. The D8K Pro impressed me greatly when I demoed them recently but the weight was...serious. I just ordered a pair of HD800s and will be curious to see how they compare to my current headphones.

Nov 8, 2021 at 1:43 AM Post #6,750 of 8,761
Thanks. I figured that might be the case. The D8K Pro impressed me greatly when I demoed them recently but the weight was...serious. I just ordered a pair of HD800s and will be curious to see how they compare to my current headphones.
The HD800's are very good headphones. I love their clarity, incisiveness and how wide open they sound. I've owned them on three separate occasions. My problem with purchasing them again is I have headphones with similar or better performance. If Sennheiser would ever upgrade them I would definitely be on board.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back