Sennheiser HD800 S Impressions Thread (read first post for summary)
Aug 14, 2020 at 4:55 AM Post #5,956 of 8,790
Does anyone know of a good third party cable ? As mine have split the rubber for the 2nd or 3rd time and I'm sick of buying new cables for them to split 6 months later, I have heard that it is a well known problem which started with the original HD800.

I take good care of my gear and, when I use them I'm in a static position and my cable is not twisted, but eventually the rubber starts to split and once it's started their is no stopping it, even with duct tape.

Any suggestions ?

Aug 14, 2020 at 6:44 AM Post #5,957 of 8,790
Dhc prion 4 but you doubled the cost and have no idea how long the order will take.

Aug 14, 2020 at 9:29 AM Post #5,958 of 8,790
I noticed that the current box for the HD800S depicts an image of the headphone with the Sennheiser logo next to the drivers where the connectors plug into. Is that how they look now?

I just bought my pair a month ago, and there is no logo on them like it shows on the box.

Aug 14, 2020 at 10:35 AM Post #5,959 of 8,790

Attachments

• 8814C00B-D6C3-4177-8722-E22BE2202939.jpeg
    8814C00B-D6C3-4177-8722-E22BE2202939.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Aug 14, 2020 at 11:29 AM Post #5,960 of 8,790
Does anyone know of a good third party cable ? As mine have split the rubber for the 2nd or 3rd time and I'm sick of buying new cables for them to split 6 months later, I have heard that it is a well known problem which started with the original HD800.

I take good care of my gear and, when I use them I'm in a static position and my cable is not twisted, but eventually the rubber starts to split and once it's started their is no stopping it, even with duct tape.

Any suggestions ?
Forza Audio Works in Polen!

Aug 15, 2020 at 11:32 PM Post #5,963 of 8,790
I've been profiling headphones in commercial recording studios with Sonarworks for years. Open back HPs aren't usable in most tracking situations so we typically use Beyer DT 770 Pro or Sennheiser HD 280 Pro that have been calibrated.

Many artists, particularly string players love to come into the control room and hear playback on HPs (in addition to room corrected near field and mid field studio monitors) because of the intimacy they provide with their own playing. They can catch subtle string / fret noise, intonation issues in their own playing, for example.

We switch to open back HPs at this point because as a whole they provide better sound. The HD800 were an immediate favorite and I've bought several pair over the years, so early production up to the latest production. We run 4 profile recordings to allow for any subtle variation in mic movement and then average them to create to profile we correct from.

We've use a calibrated Earthworks mic as well as Sonarworks own individually calibrated mic. We track these initial profiles at 96K in ProTools which is 32 bit internally. Mic preamp is a GML 2032. D/A converter is a Crane Song Solaris. A reference in pro studios and mastering.

We have seen no differences between early production HD800 and the latest in our profiling. Granted our sample set has been small, but 3 were early production and 4 were recent.

The HD800s has quickly become my preference and I've bought a second pair for personal listening at home. Both pair profiled exactly the same.
An honest to god professional relating the facts is SOOOOOO refreshing,thanks for replying...As a pro,what has your experience been with Balanced vs SE interface of the headphones?How about your personal listening,SS or tubes?

Hahahahahahaha,I posted this after I read the reply somewhere around page 358/68 oh I forget..Then just 2 pages ago I see your reply & a pic of your system,2 Single Ended tube amps hahahaha..Ok I want to thank you for staying active in this thread..I am waiting on delivery next Tuesday& was having serious buyers remorse & doubt I made the right choice.Just your 2 replies removed all doubt & replaced with anticipation & excitement!
How do you compare the Pathos to the Q/S?I can only afford 1 & it will be end game for me..

Well I ask you several questions & using that newfangled thing called search I found another older reply from you answering my other questions..Anyway thanks again for participating...

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2020 at 6:39 AM Post #5,964 of 8,790
3 days late,I frigging hate Fed EX!
Straight out of the box & right into the Burson Conductor3P(160mW@300ohms),absolutely NO issue with the Burson driving the almost 700 ohm load..I wasn't going to listen until they had at least 10 hours on them,yea right.SOOTB they seemed ok,treble was peaky,mids recessed,bass one note..Put them down & ran a few errands,about 2 hours later they were already different.Treble had smoothed out,mids seemed still a touch recessed,bass MUCH better,nice definition.
Fixed some dinner while doing laundry,another 2 hours & OMG.The VERY first thing that hits you is they actually show depth of stage.No longer is the sound coming from inside the skull,it's like the sound starts inside the skull but extends out & back,giving the illusion of being able to see instruments out in front of you,live recordings are AMAZING in this sense,crowd noise envelopes you,whistlers from hundreds of feet apart interplay as clearly as if you were there between their locations..You can picture drums set back & straight out from your face.
Tonealy they seem cut from the same HiFIMan Sundara cloth,nuetralish with a natural warmth that is more like good SE Class A Pentode running UL than it is the VERY slightly veiled warmth of a SET(ala HD650)...
Build quality is good BUT IMO the $350.00 Sundara could teach the HD800S a few things about a REALLY nicely built headphone..
Value for $ spent?Maybe,they certainly do some things no other cans do but compared to how much a $350.00 can like Sundara offers I would say no.Compared to TOTL from other makers then absolutely high value..
Oh 1 other thing,the cables..Most everyone HATES the LONG cables but my listening station is 12' from my chair,I LOVE the cable length,BRAVO Sennheiser!
DSC_0001.JPG
DSC_0003.JPG
DSC_0004.JPG
DSC_0005.JPG
DSC_0006.JPG

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2020 at 10:52 AM Post #5,965 of 8,790
An honest to god professional relating the facts is SOOOOOO refreshing,thanks for replying...As a pro,what has your experience been with Balanced vs SE interface of the headphones?How about your personal listening,SS or tubes?

I've worked in many of the best studios in L.A., Nashville, Berlin and Paris over the last 2+ decades and I've never seen a balanced HP in any of them. There's a good reason for that, explained here.

With the Crane Song, LL Monotor, Pathos Aurium and Quicksilver, amps there is no lack of power or change in sound with different impedance HPs. When I travel to other studios I carry several different open and closed Beyer HPs, HD800s, Focal Clear and Utopia. I also have a pair of Adam Audio near field monitors in road cases that I ship to the studio if the tracking is being done in a room I don't know. I then use Sonarworks and profile the room with the Adams. I have profiles for the HPs ready to use in my ProTools template.

Hahahahahahaha,I posted this after I read the reply somewhere around page 358/68 oh I forget..Then just 2 pages ago I see your reply & a pic of your system,2 Single Ended tube amps hahahaha..Ok I want to thank you for staying active in this thread..I am waiting on delivery next Tuesday& was having serious buyers remorse & doubt I made the right choice.Just your 2 replies removed all doubt & replaced with anticipation & excitement!
How do you compare the Pathos to the Q/S?I can only afford 1 & it will be end game for me..

Actually I'm using 2 solid state amps with the Crane Song Polaris DAC HP amp and the LL Monotor, the Pathos is a hybrid tube/mosfet and the QS is class A tube. If I'm 'working' I use the SS until I want to hear what an 'audiophile' might hear. The Pathos has 2 pass throughs so that I can run all 4 amps simultaneously and switch between them instantly. The Monotor uses 2 separate amps for the 2 jacks on the front so I can have an artist or producer listen to exactly what I'm listening to, 2 pairs of Focal Clears for that purpose.

For personal use the Quicksilver is what I turn on and enjoy with the HD800s or Utopias. It's an incredible amp and I've never found a better amp. I've owned or extensively used all the different Woo, Manley, Bottlehead, Pass labs and several other well know amps. I can afford whatever I like. I own the Quicksilver.

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2020 at 1:49 AM Post #5,966 of 8,790
3 days late,I frigging hate Fed EX!
Straight out of the box & right into the Burson Conductor3P(160mW@300ohms),absolutely NO issue with the Burson driving the almost 700 ohm load..I wasn't going to listen until they had at least 10 hours on them,yea right.SOOTB they seemed ok,treble was peaky,mids recessed,bass one note..Put them down & ran a few errands,about 2 hours later they were already different.Treble had smoothed out,mids seemed still a touch recessed,bass MUCH better,nice definition.
Fixed some dinner while doing laundry,another 2 hours & OMG.The VERY first thing that hits you is they actually show depth of stage.No longer is the sound coming from inside the skull,it's like the sound starts inside the skull but extends out & back,giving the illusion of being able to see instruments out in front of you,live recordings are AMAZING in this sense,crowd noise envelopes you,whistlers from hundreds of feet apart interplay as clearly as if you were there between their locations..You can picture drums set back & straight out from your face.
Tonealy they seem cut from the same HiFIMan Sundara cloth,nuetralish with a natural warmth that is more like good SE Class A Pentode running UL than it is the VERY slightly veiled warmth of a SET(ala HD650)...
Build quality is good BUT IMO the $350.00 Sundara could teach the HD800S a few things about a REALLY nicely built headphone..
Value for $ spent?Maybe,they certainly do some things no other cans do but compared to how much a $350.00 can like Sundara offers I would say no.Compared to TOTL from other makers then absolutely high value..
Oh 1 other thing,the cables..Most everyone HATES the LONG cables but my listening station is 12' from my chair,I LOVE the cable length,BRAVO Sennheiser!

Well I hope the Sundara doesn’t “teach” Sennheiser about solid construction and fit and finish. The Sundara I owned was clunky, creaky, and the mickeymouse screws through the yoke into very sloppy holes in the driver housings repeatedly loosened. Compared to a similar dollar can, HD600, with a few years’ use, it was, for me, cheesy.

No offense to your post intended (gave it a like), I enjoyed your 800S listening impressions, and share many of them.

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2020 at 9:03 PM Post #5,967 of 8,790

Any suggestions ?
Mine split too on the plastic. I used tape to fix it and can still use it if i want. Thats why i wanted a cotton braided all the way.

Bought the tonekraft cable from audioenvy. Less bright then stock cable its occ copper i think. Works great with hugo 2 with less brightness fatigue have enjoyed listening tonight. Adds some more thick bassy sound or bass bloom.https://audioenvy.com/product/home-car-pro-interconnects/tonekraft-headphone-cables/

My second choice would have been the C3 universal cable or the one just for HD800S. It was described as neutral which is good imo, acording to this guy https://www.headfonia.com/review-c3-audio-spofc-upocc/

https://c3audio.com/

Someone mentioned custom cans is very similar to the tonekraft cable with low capitance as the trick. Cheaper if your in the uk. https://customcans.co.uk/s/s/index.php/cables/hd800-cables/hd800-unbalanced-cable.html

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2020 at 5:35 AM Post #5,968 of 8,790
Mine split too on the plastic. I used tape to fix it and can still use it if i want. Thats why i wanted a cotton braided all the way.

Bought the tonekraft cable from audioenvy. Less bright then stock cable its occ copper i think. Works great with hugo 2 with less brightness fatigue have enjoyed listening tonight. Adds some more thick bassy sound or bass bloom.https://audioenvy.com/product/home-car-pro-interconnects/tonekraft-headphone-cables/

My second choice would have been the C3 universal cable or the one just for HD800S. It was described as neutral which is good imo, acording to this guy https://www.headfonia.com/review-c3-audio-spofc-upocc/

https://c3audio.com/

Someone mentioned custom cans is very similar to the tonekraft cable with low capitance as the trick. Cheaper if your in the uk. https://customcans.co.uk/s/s/index.php/cables/hd800-cables/hd800-unbalanced-cable.html

I have the C3 cable with my HD800S. I really like it and have bought from them previously. Also, Chris the owner is a great guy to deal with.

Aug 30, 2020 at 7:10 AM Post #5,969 of 8,790

Any suggestions ?

Can't decode your location to be able to possibly offer a suggestion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back