Sennheiser HD800 S Impressions Thread (read first post for summary)
Aug 2, 2020 at 8:28 PM Post #5,941 of 8,764
I'm pretty certain I'd prefer a smoother, more relaxed presentation with the HD800 S, as I wouldn't want that treble to get too harsh and intense. But it might be more worth my money to just buy a dedicated amp without a built in dac which I wouldn't need. I'm currently leaning toward the Wells Audio Milo. It's considered to be flawless in its price range (1700 usd) aside from the fact that it can't be used with highly sensitive headphones such as a Grado, and for those I can just plug them directly into my Hugo 2. The Milo is said to be slightly warm, with a little less treble than some amps, which seems good for me because I am a bit sensitive to treble. And it has tons of power, but is described as "gentle." William Murdock's youtube review was extremely positive:

I am not sure but I think the balanced output on the Wells is just for convenience. Driving the HD800S balanced gives a little bit more soundstage and overall body to the sound.
The harshness is due to not being driven properly or inferior files in my opinion but it’s true the original HD800 is a bright headphone and the S not so much but it has nothing to do with being harsh....to my ears.

Aug 3, 2020 at 4:17 AM Post #5,942 of 8,764
I am not sure but I think the balanced output on the Wells is just for convenience. Driving the HD800S balanced gives a little bit more soundstage and overall body to the sound.
The harshness is due to not being driven properly or inferior files in my opinion but it’s true the original HD800 is a bright headphone and the S not so much but it has nothing to do with being harsh....to my ears.

Yes, the Milo is designed as a single-ended amp, so the balanced port is just there so you wouldn't have to buy an unbalanced cable if you have a balanced one. I'm still learning about this, but apparently single-ended does have certain benefits, and single ended amps can sound really good if the amp is designed with single-ended in mind. Jeff Wells, the designer, says: "half the parts count means more money can be allocated for better parts quality. The dynamic range is also greater in an unbalanced design. It almost always sounds more effortless dynamically. Balanced designs have always sounded more ‘electronic' to me. Maybe because the signal is being manipulated by more parts." William Murdoch's review would seem to confirm this, because he describes the Milo's sound as "organic."

This other review also has me excited, saying that the original HD800 pairs very well with the Milo: http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/1216/Wells_Audio_Milo_Headphone_Amplifier_Review.htm

Aug 3, 2020 at 3:15 PM Post #5,943 of 8,764
Monolaf has a point though and I'm not surprised he has struggled to find good amplification for the HD800s.
The vast majority of modern solid state dedicated headphone amps have low output impedance which is far from ideal for the HD800s.
I can't recommend vintage receivers enough. The upshot is that you can use the speaker taps to drive planar magnetic headphones to their absolute best. Not to mention with some of the higher end models you get a pletora of tone controls; bass, midrange, treble, variable loudness, bass turnover freq, treble turn over freq, low pass filter, high pass filter, the list goes on and on.
I don't understand why more people don't use them in this hobby.
Bottom line: after hearing the HD800 through a powerful vintage receiver, you won't be able to go back to a regular and dedicated headphone amp.
This is a good aspect to try with a vintage receiver....Which one can you recommend?

Mmh, I can not understand that it is so complicated. I’ve also a Stax combi (L500 with amp 600Ltd)....Stax components haven’t this problem. You’ve only a limited number of amps which you could take and it’s working good...the L500/600Ltd is working very well.
It's not that difficult to find an amp like the HD800.

Aug 3, 2020 at 3:25 PM Post #5,944 of 8,764
Interesting. I wonder if your experience isn't just listening fatigue ? A good OTL is very dynamic but may tend to roll off on the high and low end making it easy to listen at a higher volume than you realize. Still I think they're one of the best type of amps for the HD800 / HD800s.

As speakers and HPs became more resolving and reviewers started sighting specs like THD all those switches and potentiometers were removed by amp designers because of the noise they add. Try and find an 'audiophile' integrated or preamp with even a balance control today.

I think it's because they have a very specific sound characteristic, a V shaped sound. They also lack dynamics compared to any modern SS or Tube amp.

I bought my first Sherwood receiver in 1974 and a Marantz the next year. I've owned, restored and enjoyed many receivers over the years since. You have to like that sound. Many don't.

I've used the Bryston and it's surprisingly low on gain, only 20dB on the higher setting. However I have read a number of reviews that suggest it's ideal with these Senns. I found it to be just OK.

These are just my opinions as an audio engineer with nearly 30 years of experience recording and mixing music and TV dialog. I use the Pathos Aurium, the Quicksilver, the Little Labs Monotor and the Crane Song Solaris to drive the HD800s. They all handle the Senns quite well.

4amps.jpg
This is a very interesting and extraordinary recommendation from amps. I have never seen them consciously. I'll take a closer look at them. especially the Little lab Monotor is relative cheap. Thanks.

Aug 3, 2020 at 5:58 PM Post #5,945 of 8,764
This is a good aspect to try with a vintage receiver....Which one can you recommend?

Mmh, I can not understand that it is so complicated. I’ve also a Stax combi (L500 with amp 600Ltd)....Stax components haven’t this problem. You’ve only a limited number of amps which you could take and it’s working good...the L500/600Ltd is working very well.

Again, it's not difficult. It's like the woman who goes for breakfast at the smorgasbord and can't decide what to eat. Sometimes more choices just make things worse :wink:

Aug 3, 2020 at 7:34 PM Post #5,946 of 8,764

It's hard for me to recommend one in particular because it depends on your budget and the fact that there are just too many brands and models to chose from with varying condition levels.
If all of this is too complicated then i recommend you get a decent OTL tube amp, this would be a very good match as well.

Edit: The HD800s are just a little bit lean and a little dry in nature. Tube amps help by injecting some fat and a little sweetness. You also get a little bit more 3D effect and fullness from tubes.

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2020 at 10:12 AM Post #5,947 of 8,764
It's hard for me to recommend one in particular because it depends on your budget and the fact that there are just too many brands and models to chose from with varying condition levels.
If all of this is too complicated then i recommend you get a decent OTL tube amp, this would be a very good match as well.

Edit: The HD800s are just a little bit lean and a little dry in nature. Tube amps help by injecting some fat and a little sweetness. You also get a little bit more 3D effect and fullness from tubes.
Yes, I think so, too.
Has someone tested the HD800 with a Fatman iTube Valve ?
I know that is not a special headphone amp but a for good tested amp with headphone socket.

https://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/budgetrig/budget.html
https://www.whathifi.com/fatman/itube-valve-dock/review

hero_fat1.jpg

Attachments

• 81szxOEBxZL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    81szxOEBxZL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 0
Aug 4, 2020 at 10:18 AM Post #5,948 of 8,764
Again, it's not difficult. It's like the woman who goes for breakfast at the smorgasbord and can't decide what to eat. Sometimes more choices just make things worse :wink:
It is OK. I love the large selection and I like to read what fits best.:)
I have now bought the Meier amp Jazz-ff and am also quite satisfied. As a comparison, I still had a Matrix M-Stage HPA-2, which didn't fit quite as well.
However, I would still like to test a tube amp ...

Aug 4, 2020 at 11:15 AM Post #5,949 of 8,764
It is OK. I love the large selection and I like to read what fits best.:)
I have now bought the Meier amp Jazz-ff and am also quite satisfied. As a comparison, I still had a Matrix M-Stage HPA-2, which didn't fit quite as well.
However, I would still like to test a tube amp ...

Great I am glad you like the Meier.

Tube amps are an adventure.

Aug 6, 2020 at 11:40 AM Post #5,951 of 8,764
It seems to be a speaker amp with a headphone tap rather than a headphone amp.

Aug 6, 2020 at 9:42 PM Post #5,952 of 8,764
Tube amps are an adventure.

Yup, ongoing shifting in sound, retubing expenses.... Yet if you avoid the ones with high THD overly smudgy/overly liquid sound and get towards a hybrid that sound like a mix between a Pass and Yadis - you are holding nirvana in your hands.

Aug 8, 2020 at 3:55 AM Post #5,953 of 8,764
Well I did it,something I never thought I would do,roll almost $2000.00 into headphones..I always liked the Sennheiser sound & was torn between the 800S,Meze Empies or Audeze LCD4z but everything that Senn brought to the table at a LOT LESS $ just couldn't be ignored..
I will burn them in a few hundred hours using my Burson C3P amp/dac & then since I have $1500.00 left over from NOT buying the other headphones I can afford a fantastic tube amp for them..Any suggestions on a tube amp under $1500.00?The Schiit Valhalla looks good at only $350.00 but I want as close to end game as I can get...

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2020 at 9:46 AM Post #5,954 of 8,764
Well I did it,something I never thought I would do,roll almost $2000.00 into headphones..I always liked the Sennheiser sound & was torn between the 800S,Meze Empies or Audeze LCD4z but everything that Senn brought to the table at a LOT LESS $ just couldn't be ignored..
I will burn them in a few hundred hours using my Burson C3P amp/dac & then since I have $1500.00 left over from NOT buying the other headphones I can afford a fantastic tube amp for them..Any suggestions on a tube amp under $1500.00?The Schiit Valhalla looks good at only $350.00 but I want as close to end game as I can get...

The Decware CSP3 should be on your short list - https://www.decware.com/newsite/CSP3.html

You can also get a basic Glenn OTL if you're willing to wait the better part of a year for it.

If you can solder and like to build things, a Bottlehead Mainline would be a really good amp too - https://bottlehead.com/product/mainline-headphone-amplifier-kit/

Of course, if you buy used, you can get even better amps within your budget. Maybe a DNA Starlett or ampsandsound Kenzie, for example.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back