Sennheiser HD800 S Impressions Thread (read first post for summary)
Feb 19, 2020 at 1:07 PM Post #5,387 of 8,689
In the UK?

Free shipping internationally. No idea how uk may tax you though.

Oh and free shipping means you will get it a month later.

Feb 19, 2020 at 1:16 PM Post #5,388 of 8,689
Free shipping internationally. No idea how uk may tax you though.

Oh and free shipping means you will get it a month later.
Thanks for the replies.
I would prefer to order from the uk or Europe to avoid customs and the hassle with it . Last year I ordered some comply foam tips from the USA .Took an age and the customs fee just about doubled the cost :wink:

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2020 at 2:45 PM Post #5,389 of 8,689
Hi .Due to a change in circumstances I am finding myself using my HD 800S more and more with my ifi micro BL, but having a 3m cable is rather annoying . Does anyone have any idea where I could get a 1M cable for the hd800s . Not a huge believer that cables make a difference to my ears so do not want to fork out a lot of cash , so say under £100 . Any guidance would be appreciated

customcans.co.uk

I can personally recommend this shop after 4 orders. @jfunk is a member here. Great service, great knowledge of Sennheisers and a lot of other stuff, and great prices on cables.

Feb 23, 2020 at 8:02 PM Post #5,390 of 8,689
So just wanted to share- I received my he-1000se and absolutely love it.

BUT... my hd800s with norne draug v3 and a couple mods from the guy I purchased from (ring under driver and foam inside behind driver) has a more even treble response and slightly thicker mid bass and lower mids, which are both good things

this hd800s is the most tonally Accurate and most accurate frequency response I’ve heard

also the 39.99 sheepskin replacement pads on Amazon I’ve been enjoying quite a bit

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2020 at 1:53 AM Post #5,392 of 8,689
Does anyone have any experience with the HD 800 S and the Topping DX7 Pro dac/amp or smsl su-8 v2 dac and smsl thx sp200 amp? I am looking to pair my headphones with either one of these combos.
Sorry if this has been replied to already (I’m very late to the party!) or you’ve chosen your DAC by now, but I was somewhat underwhelmed by the DX7 Pro. It measures well (see ASR review), so I took a punt on it as I liked the idea of a supposedly great ESS DAC combined with a Headphone amplifier. But I found it to be very clinical and sterile (if that’s just hearing ‘the truth’.......well.......I can’t handle the truth!). Ultimately, I’ve settled on a used Holo Spring Level 1 with an Xduoo TA-20 tube amp and these pair really well with the HD800SDR that I have.

Feb 25, 2020 at 2:38 AM Post #5,394 of 8,689
Measurements got nothing to do with actual sound.
A lot of stuff measures good but sounds like crap.
If it was different then all of us would by a Topping and be done with.
Unfortunately it's not that simple.
Indeed. I won’t be fooled again.

Feb 25, 2020 at 9:10 AM Post #5,395 of 8,689
Feb 25, 2020 at 9:11 AM Post #5,396 of 8,689
Sorry if this has been replied to already (I’m very late to the party!) or you’ve chosen your DAC by now, but I was somewhat underwhelmed by the DX7 Pro. It measures well (see ASR review), so I took a punt on it as I liked the idea of a supposedly great ESS DAC combined with a Headphone amplifier. But I found it to be very clinical and sterile (if that’s just hearing ‘the truth’.......well.......I can’t handle the truth!). Ultimately, I’ve settled on a used Holo Spring Level 1 with an Xduoo TA-20 tube amp and these pair really well with the HD800SDR that I have.

Well that's just it. The better an amp measures probably the more sterile it's going to sound. In general Sennheisers really do much better with tube amps.

Feb 25, 2020 at 9:13 AM Post #5,397 of 8,689
Well that's just it. The better an amp measures probably the more sterile it's going to sound. In general Sennheisers really do much better with tube amps.
ok, unscientific opinion from myself, hogwash

Mar 7, 2020 at 12:10 PM Post #5,398 of 8,689
Have you tested any other tubes with your HD800S? Been considering the TA-20 but just not enough information out there. Any details you can provide by for comparison? How is sound stage? I’m at the point where I wouldn’t mind finding a gem but debating going big.

Mar 7, 2020 at 10:35 PM Post #5,399 of 8,689
Have you tested any other tubes with your HD800S? Been considering the TA-20 but just not enough information out there. Any details you can provide by for comparison? How is sound stage? I’m at the point where I wouldn’t mind finding a gem but debating going big.
I am enjoying the HD800s with TA -20 and RCA tubes. Sound stage is as wide and deep as with my Violectric 281 but the sound is more to my taste . It's often said that the HD800 benefits from tubes and even a hybrid design like the TA-20.
[/QUO

Mar 10, 2020 at 1:46 AM Post #5,400 of 8,689
I am enjoying the HD800s with TA -20 and RCA tubes. Sound stage is as wide and deep as with my Violectric 281 but the sound is more to my taste . It's often said that the HD800 benefits from tubes and even a hybrid design like the TA-20.
I have tried the Amperex Bugleboy. I prefer the warmer sound of the RCA with the HD800s which can sound a little thin otherwise. With all my other phones I prefer the Amperex which are cleaner, more transparent and detailed. But the HD800s is already very transparent, clean, detailed etc. so they need other things such as warmth and depth.
The RCA tubes I have are the 1950s black plates.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back