Sennheiser HD800 Appreciation Thread
Dec 31, 2012 at 3:28 PM Post #6,151 of 6,607
ON a side note
Has anyone considered using either a silver ,or,copper silver
I know,I know..peak issue?,.which I dont seem to have,on my pair
Just curious..

Prepo--congrats on the new cans..got my used pair today ,a few hours,extremely happy-
4 weeks is not unreasonable for a custom made headphone-NO?

Dec 31, 2012 at 4:56 PM Post #6,152 of 6,607
Mine has a ship date of Jan. 28th..  Why the hell so long..  I can't wait.  Yeah yours are flat..  Can't wait until I get to hold mine in my hands...:D

I hope they don't mess with the driver either and screw up the sound..

It will probably take a week longer than that. Mine took about 5 weeks.

As far as the sound, I shipped mine to Purrin who measured them and compared to other HD800 and the Sennheiser measurement and there seemed to be no change. If anything it might have improved it. Mine seem to be the best sounding and measuring he has had there. I doubt it has anything to do with the paint though.

Dec 31, 2012 at 8:10 PM Post #6,153 of 6,607
As a brand new HD800 owner (s/n 19xxx) I'm still quite enthusiastic about them. I've read a little of this gigantic thread and have come to realize that I have a LOT to look forward to. What with cables, amps, DACs and modifications, there are a miriad of ways to alter the sound if I'm not happy. Right now I'm just enjoying the clarity and presentation of songs old and new. It's a whole new world... :)

Any immediate suggestions for a fledgling owner but long-time admirer? I'm looking to get a Schiit Mjolnir and a decent balanced cable to start but for now I'm actually quite happy with the Fiio E17 on high gain. It should be interesting to see the change when I get home from vacation and dock the E17 in the higher powered E9. I know I'll be upgrading, but I'm fine with using what I have to start.

Dale

Dec 31, 2012 at 8:38 PM Post #6,154 of 6,607
Quote:
As a brand new HD800 owner (s/n 19xxx) I'm still quite enthusiastic about them. I've read a little of this gigantic thread and have come to realize that I have a
LOT to look forward to. What with cables, amps, DACs and modifications, there are a miriad of ways to alter the sound if I'm not happy. Right now I'm just enjoying the clarity and presentation of songs old and new. It's a whole new world...
smily_headphones1.gif

Any immediate suggestions for a fledgling owner but long-time admirer?
Dale

Congrats. Big step up from your current cans...

Suggestions? Start collecting funds for a source and amp.

Dec 31, 2012 at 8:45 PM Post #6,155 of 6,607
Finally , I think I  gave up in trying to equalize the hd800. There's a slight treble boost, but it's enjoyable, making the sound more "alive".
If it's a bit fatiguing, I  just have to move the headphone a bit forward ( without any inclination),
and it tame down the treble enough to  be in the comfort zone (it affects imaging too).
The hd800 have great clarity, but I  think senheiser wanted to impress even more listener by boosting a bit treble in the right region, to give a "wow" effect.
It's not a "flaw", but a "feature".

Jan 1, 2013 at 4:23 AM Post #6,157 of 6,607
Quote:
The hd800 have great clarity, but I  think senheiser wanted to impress even more listener by boosting a bit treble in the right region, to give a "wow" effect.
It's not a "flaw", but a "feature".

Hello, it sounds like that has been pretty frustrating  
frown.gif
. I know the feeling but it hasn't applied with my HD800s at all. I guess we all hear differently. Best. James.

Jan 1, 2013 at 4:48 AM Post #6,158 of 6,607
Headphones are based on a full range driver that has to cover the whole audio frequency band. But developing and making a driver that can reproduce audio from say 20Hz to 20Khz with the minimum amount of gain loss at the extremes of the frequency spectrum isn't easy or cheap. So on cheaper drivers you can expect a gain loss in the bass and treble. Designers would select a suitable driver response for whatever market position the headphone is aimed at. So a more bass heavy driver would be used in say a bass heavy headphone.

In the case of cans such as the HD800 the driver is better engineered. So it has a better frequency response in the upper frequency range compared to your common variety ( read: cheap) set of cans. But few would have heard cans with less treble loss. This generates the impression that the HD800 is brighter or that the treble response is somehow incorrect. But far from it. If you own a high-end set of speakers and compare the high frequency detail from the speaker against the HD800 you'll find very little difference in the additional information that you hear. Compare that to a cheaper set of cans and soon you'll get the hang of the HD800.

The HD800 really is for people with excellent speakers. They are more likely to appreciate the similarities in terms of what can be heard.

Jan 1, 2013 at 5:37 AM Post #6,159 of 6,607
Quote:
Headphones are based on a full range driver that has to cover the whole audio frequency band. But developing and making a driver that can reproduce audio from say 20Hz to 20Khz with the minimum amount of gain loss at the extremes of the frequency spectrum isn't easy or cheap. So on cheaper drivers you can expect a gain loss in the bass and treble. Designers would select a suitable driver response for whatever market position the headphone is aimed at. So a more bass heavy driver would be used in say a bass heavy headphone.

In the case of cans such as the HD800 the driver is better engineered. So it has a better frequency response in the upper frequency range compared to your common variety ( read: cheap) set of cans. But few would have heard cans with less treble loss. This generates the impression that the HD800 is brighter or that the treble response is somehow incorrect. But far from it. If you own a high-end set of speakers and compare the high frequency detail from the speaker against the HD800 you'll find very little difference in the additional information that you hear. Compare that to a cheaper set of cans and soon you'll get the hang of the HD800.

The HD800 really is for people with excellent speakers. They are more likely to appreciate the similarities in terms of what can be heard.

I think this sounds quite reasonable.

I have JBL 4310s at home and one really does appreciate the clarity and sound staging the HD800s are able to provide.
It has been said that the HD800 is picky about what it is being fed by and the recording of the music.

I should note; if the HD080s are not being fed adequate power, they will take a long time to break in (least that is how it was for me. I don't know if my setup is enough for the 800 (but they sound frigging amazing and I am happy my setup works) but my HD800s recently finally "broke in" and WOW. After a year of owning them this whole extra layer just came in and swept the sound field.

Jan 1, 2013 at 5:55 AM Post #6,160 of 6,607
Quote:

I would respectively add people who regularly attend live music performance, play an instrument etc. i.e. 'real world' sounds, notwithstanding the effect of sound re-enforcement where applicable.

Jan 1, 2013 at 8:52 AM Post #6,161 of 6,607
Quote:

If you experience some fatigue  related to treble , then I  consider there's a treble emphasis.
I'm not implying it's a bad experience, but it certainly explain why people would recommend the hd800 more for classical.
I  guess, it's hard to set the treble to the right amount, because head-related transfer function vary a lot from one people to an other above 7k (see this interesting thread : Do we hear all alike or different ).
I  tried to equalize the hd800 ,  but finally concluded it's not worth it:  playing with headphone position is enough, and eq mess up easily their clarity.
Lot of people here seem to enjoy recessed highs because it's less fatiguing and more forgiving  (see other cheaper sennheiser headphones, hd650 and below, and I  guess lot of other popular models).

Jan 4, 2013 at 7:58 AM Post #6,162 of 6,607
Using The Chord Company CrimsonPlus RCA cables. It is an entry level cable, really not bad. Better clarity, better extension, better separation and warmer the HD800. 

smile.gif

Jan 5, 2013 at 2:45 PM Post #6,163 of 6,607
Hi all,

I've searched and searched and found nothing, so I've registered here to ask this question.

I'd like to direct wire the HD800's, ie, get rid of the original connectors and take my wires straight in and onto the Voice coil wires tags.

Can you tell me where I can find out about this please?

I'd like to be able to buy replacement fixings, for cheap price, rather that make some of my own.

Thanks.

Jan 5, 2013 at 3:12 PM Post #6,165 of 6,607
I'm not going to pay anyone to do this mod for me.

It's easy to do.

But easier if someone already has a method, and parts, to hold the wires in place.

Otherwise I have to fabricate a means of restraint.

A year or so ago I did see a company offering this for silly money.

I just saw an ad in HeadFi classifieds that had it done.

I'd buy a pair of the original fittings and drill a clearance through them were they not a wildly excessive price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back