Sennheiser HD800 Appreciation Thread
Dec 18, 2012 at 9:29 PM Post #6,106 of 6,607
Quote:

FWIW, I prefer the LCD-3s to both the LCD-2s and HD-800s by a good margin. 
evil_smiley.gif

I understand,a lot of people feel that way
I felt very stronly about the lcd-2's ,I had,and I might add,bought used for $650.00 ,from another head-fier,-it was the one headphone I used all the time.......until I heard  the he-6's.,cost,used $900.00
Just something about 2K ,that rubs me the wrong way..just my 2cents

Dec 18, 2012 at 11:38 PM Post #6,107 of 6,607
Quote:
If you think the LCD-2.2 are worth the price.  The LCD-3s are to in that case.  The LCD-3s are a good quality headphone.  The T1s and the HD800s are about a tie for me.  The T1 just has more body.  IMO

I felt the same way before I had a good source. The T1 doesn't scale close to as well. Recabling them helped but they still couldn't match up.

They are more forgiving than the HD800 though, like the HE500 are compared to the HE6. Still, there's a large peak higher up in the treble (larger than the HD800's) that is bothersome to me on some recordings.

So after owning all of these cans, I don't think any of them are perfect. I feel I have to live with the lesser evil. The HD800 can be a bit bright, thin and dry and if you compensate for those things with an amp/cable, they can sound distant and dull. The HE6 can also sound bright, and if you compensate for it, you can get a bit looseness in the bass and imaging takes a hit. Bass weight is better than the Senns though. The LCD-2/3, unlike the former two, are south of neutral and can sound dark, dull with worse imaging than either. They are very forgiving and liquid though with good bass. The T1s have their own (larger) treble peak and are just technically in a lower class than the 800 and HE6. Same goes for the HE500 when compared to the HE6 and 800.

Nothing is perfect, but when I got the setup right, I felt the HD800 and HE6 came closest to ideal.

Dec 19, 2012 at 2:46 AM Post #6,110 of 6,607
Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Dec 19, 2012 at 2:57 AM Post #6,111 of 6,607
Quote:
Has anyone had the LCD2 and HD800?

How different is the soundstage accuracy and width between the two? I love how the LCD2 look, and love how they are described to be the 650 at a whole new level. as someone looking to upgrade from a 650, I don't know which is the better bet.

The LCD-2 is a side-grade from the HD650 imo. The HD800 is more of a substantial upgrade. Not only does it present a different signature, it is also on a whole other level in many aspects. The HD650 is the most engaging of the three for me, but the HD800 in full flight is damn impressive and can be just as musical. I reach for it over the others. The LCD-2 is a bore in comparison. I enjoy it only when the other two aren't within arms reach and only after using it exclusively for some time.

Dec 19, 2012 at 3:13 AM Post #6,112 of 6,607
OK,but recently I read a thread about another head-fier,who spent thousands on a stax set-up,only to find out...it wasn't what he'd expected,and,he was  extremly unhappy with the sound.

I will try to find the link?..,it was about 2 weeks ago??

Not me, but I did exactly that about 9 months ago. SRM-323S and Omega 2 MK1.

Dec 19, 2012 at 4:56 AM Post #6,113 of 6,607
The LCD-2 is a side-grade from the HD650 imo. The HD800 is more of a substantial upgrade. Not only does it present a different signature, it is also on a whole other level in many aspects. The HD650 is the most engaging of the three for me, but the HD800 in full flight is damn impressive and can be just as musical. I reach for it over the others. The LCD-2 is a bore in comparison. I enjoy it only when the other two aren't within arms reach and only after using it exclusively for some time.

LCD-2 is a significant upgrade from HD650, IMO, though they do share similar sound characteristics. The difference in tone quality, clarity, and bass quantity alone put it in another league.

Dec 19, 2012 at 5:45 AM Post #6,114 of 6,607

Quote:
LCD-2 is a significant upgrade from HD650, IMO, though they do share similar sound characteristics. The difference in tone quality, clarity, and bass quantity alone put it in another league.

+1

the LCD-2 was my clear upgrade from the HD-650. i couldn't justify keeping the hd-650s after i purchased my LCD-2.  it has a very similar sound signature, however, its much more refined and less warm. the LCD-2 has much more transparency, improved bass, and better sound overall. 

Dec 19, 2012 at 6:24 AM Post #6,115 of 6,607
Just to clarify. It goes without saying the LCD-2 is technically superior over the HD650. Surely you guys that know these cans understand this. For me though, the LCD-2 is a side-grade because I still enjoy the HD650 more. The HD650 is a more engaging headphone, despite what it concedes in technical terms.

And just to highlight the disparity - The LCD-2 I own now (latest iteration with black angled connectors, in Rosewood) sounds much better than the first rev.2 I owned (one of the first released). I plug it into the chain in my sig using a balanced Q cable. I don't think I'm leaving anything on the table here. The new HD650 I've just reacquired only has the stock single ended cable. I cannot plug it into my rig at the moment, so I listen direct from my MBP hp out. I still prefer the HD650 to the LCD-2.

Dec 19, 2012 at 6:37 AM Post #6,116 of 6,607
I understand what olor1n is saying.  Yes the LCD-2s are better in every way technically but I guess he gets the same enjoyment out of both.

I on the other hand will reach for the LCD-2 before the HD650s most of the time.

For me same with the T1.  The HD800 might be better on the technical front.  However, I will reach for the T1 first most of the time.  I seem to be immune to high treble spikes and peaks.  I have yet to notice it on the T1.  They just sound fuller with more body than the HD800.  Yes they do fall short in imaging and soundstage.  

You have to give a little to get a little..

Dec 19, 2012 at 6:52 AM Post #6,117 of 6,607
Quote:
I understand what olor1n is saying.  Yes the LCD-2s are better in every way technically but I guess he gets the same enjoyment out of both.

I on the other hand will reach for the LCD-2 before the HD650s most of the time.

For me same with the T1.  The HD800 might be better on the technical front.  However, I will reach for the T1 first most of the time.  I seem to be immune to high treble spikes and peaks.  I have yet to notice it on the T1.  They just sound fuller with more body than the HD800.  Yes they do fall short in imaging and soundstage.  

You have to give a little to get a little..

i enjoy the T1 more than the HD800 as well, well actually, now im liking the hd800 alot, so i guess its kinda even. 

i think the T1 deserve more love. alot of ppl don't really give them the same credit as the other flagships. i can see their shortcomings as well, but they don't really do too bad on any one section, they're just a great all rounder and i think for any headphone to be able to achieve that, definitely deserves its spot as a world-class headphone, equal to the hd-800

Dec 19, 2012 at 7:47 AM Post #6,118 of 6,607
Quote:
Originally Posted by olor1n /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The HD650 is a more engaging headphone, despite what it concedes in technical terms.

definatly agree with that.

i payed my dealer this morning, it should be here in a few weeks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back