Sennheiser HD800 Appreciation Thread
Dec 18, 2012 at 4:30 PM Post #6,076 of 6,607
I run a Pink Floyd mod X-Can v2 with russian tubes in them. Quite lovely :)

Dec 18, 2012 at 4:37 PM Post #6,077 of 6,607
Quote:
I tried the mod a while back and ended up reverting back to unmodded HD800. I never had any issues with the HD800 and felt that the HD800 with the mod was missing that magic that made me like the HD800 so much.

I did exactly the same...

Dec 18, 2012 at 4:46 PM Post #6,078 of 6,607
Quote:
Out of more affordable amps, what would work better: Little Dot MK IV SE, or Matrix M-Stage? Or maybe O2 amp?
Has anyone owned both to compare?

These look like the best amps at sub 300 USD price point to couple with HD 800, but maybe I missed something. I am willing to look at alternatives.

Thanks!
happy_face1.gif

If you are willing to do your own soldering on a begginer friendly build, you should seriously consider a bottlehead crack.  Tyll's review is right on the money (http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/marvelously-addictive-bottlehead-crack).  The crack sounds great with HD800's and has a lot of upgrade potential if/when you find youself with some spare change to throw at it.  

Dec 18, 2012 at 4:54 PM Post #6,079 of 6,607
Quote:
The HD 800 is less artificial than the K701. But there is one peak in the treble that, though slight, can be bothersome depending on how you like your treble, how good your recordings are and how the rest of your equipment chain sounds. They are very sensitive in that regard and will sound bright if especially the recording is of sub-par quality. 

This is certainly true of some HD800's, but if you go through the thread with all the FR graphs posted, a good number of them really don't have much of a peak, if any, at 6khz, despite the common head-fi mythology.  Far too often, I think we simply fail to account for production inconsistencies when discussing a given headphone on these boards.  The graphs provided by Sennheiser and Audeze for their flagships are really valuable in explaining some of the divergent viewpoints you see in a thread like this one.

Dec 18, 2012 at 5:32 PM Post #6,080 of 6,607
Quote:

Viktor,

I'm looking at the M51 and the DSD Mytek.  I read and hear good things on both.  I've seen the Mytek compared to more of the big boys.  I've seen where the m51 has won a few awards.  I guess either one will be good.

Totally! I was actually looking at Mytek before I bought the M51. I got the M51 because I found open box deal and got it for 1350, which is pretty cheap for it. I really do like it!

Dec 18, 2012 at 5:37 PM Post #6,081 of 6,607
Quote:
I honestly prefer the 009's staging too. It's not as wide but an issue I had with the HD800s was that the sound stage felt 'fake'. I also had issues with certain things in recordings sounding distant. Non issue with the 009.

Hmmm... for me HD800 was like sitting in the front row in front of the orchestra -- which I liked. I also like the width of the HD800 because it helps me isolate different sounds/instruments in space, especially for more complex pieces of music. Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

Still I think the 009 is the best there is overall! If I had it, I am not sure how much time anything else would get.

Dec 18, 2012 at 5:44 PM Post #6,082 of 6,607
Quote:
Out of more affordable amps, what would work better: Little Dot MK IV SE, or Matrix M-Stage? Or maybe O2 amp?
Has anyone owned both to compare?

These look like the best amps at sub 300 USD price point to couple with HD 800, but maybe I missed something. I am willing to look at alternatives.

Thanks!
happy_face1.gif

I got real good results using a Yulong U100. Nowadays I'm using a Violectric V200 with my HD 800's. The influence on the sound is very subtle. To be honest I've got a real problem to recognize any differences between those two.

Dec 18, 2012 at 6:03 PM Post #6,083 of 6,607
Has anyone had the LCD2 and HD800?

How different is the soundstage accuracy and width between the two? I love how the LCD2 look, and love how they are described to be the 650 at a whole new level. as someone looking to upgrade from a 650, I don't know which is the better bet.

Dec 18, 2012 at 6:07 PM Post #6,084 of 6,607
Quote:
Has anyone had the LCD2 and HD800?

How different is the soundstage accuracy and width between the two? I love how the LCD2 look, and love how they are described to be the 650 at a whole new level. as someone looking to upgrade from a 650, I don't know which is the better bet.

Soundstage : HD800 >> LCD2
Imaging: HD800 > LCD2
HD800 has a lot of width but I tend to agree that it may be sometimes too artificial (aka too wide). 650 has a dark sounding sound sig, same with the LCD2s, but to me they are different.

Dec 18, 2012 at 6:12 PM Post #6,085 of 6,607
Quote:
Soundstage : HD800 >> LCD2
Imaging: HD800 > LCD2
HD800 has a lot of width but I tend to agree that it may be sometimes too artificial (aka too wide). 650 has a dark sounding sound sig, same with the LCD2s, but to me they are different.

Do you find the HD800 too thin at the top? Too harsh? I love how non-fatiguing the 650 is, but have always wondered what I'm missing as far as imaging and detail goes. And I know the LCD2 would be very dark ("Prince of Darkness"), so I'm a little worried.

If only there was a way for me to audition the two, short of ordering both...

Dec 18, 2012 at 6:15 PM Post #6,086 of 6,607
Quote:

Do you find the HD800 too thin at the top? Too harsh? I love how non-fatiguing the 650 is, but have always wondered what I'm missing as far as imaging and detail goes. And I know the LCD2 would be very dark ("Prince of Darkness"), so I'm a little worried.

If only there was a way for me to audition the two, short of ordering both...

No, I don't find them harsh and absolutely not thin. When powered by a good amp they will sound full but they can get very analytical hence the confusion with the harshness that has come to many discussions in these forums. Can you order from Amazon?

Dec 18, 2012 at 6:20 PM Post #6,087 of 6,607
Quote:
No, I don't find them harsh and absolutely not thin. When powered by a good amp they will sound full but they can get very analytical hence the confusion with the harshness that has come to many discussions in these forums. Can you order from Amazon?

Would the Lyr be considered a decent amp for the 800? They power my 650 just fine! I know it wouldn't even be close to ideal, but doable?

I'm in Canada, so ordering from Amazon is out... They won't ship here! (on a side note, I can't seem to edit my profile to reflect my location and equipment setup, odd.)

Would you pick your 800 over your LCD2 for just kicking back at home? Which gets more head time?

Thanks for helping me out! This is why I joined after a long time of lurking!

Dec 18, 2012 at 6:25 PM Post #6,088 of 6,607
Quote:

Would the Lyr be considered a decent amp for the 800? They power my 650 just fine! I know it wouldn't even be close to ideal, but doable?

I'm in Canada, so ordering from Amazon is out... They won't ship here! (on a side note, I can't seem to edit my profile to reflect my location and equipment setup, odd.)

Would you pick your 800 over your LCD2 for just kicking back at home? Which gets more head time?

Thanks for helping me out! This is why I joined after a long time of lurking!

Over the past few months, LCD2s have gotten around 15 hours head time compared to the HD800, maybe 400 hours head time
wink_face.gif
. Lyr has ample juice to power the HD800, however, I am not a fan of the combination.

Dec 18, 2012 at 6:55 PM Post #6,089 of 6,607
Quote:
Over the past few months, LCD2s have gotten around 15 hours head time compared to the HD800, maybe 400 hours head time
wink_face.gif
. Lyr has ample juice to power the HD800, however, I am not a fan of the combination.

Wow! That's a big difference.

My dream headphones are the HD800s and hopefully one day I can afford them. Glad to know that there's such a big difference compared to the LCD2s for you!

Do you have any mods done to them? Analixus? Recabling?

Woodie, have you tried the Crack for your 650?

Dec 18, 2012 at 7:52 PM Post #6,090 of 6,607
Quote:

From what I've read, definitely at least doable.
Quote:

on a side note, I can't seem to edit my profile to reflect my location and equipment setup, odd.

I think it has to do with post count, I have the same issue.
Quote:
I got real good results using a Yulong U100. Nowadays I'm using a Violectric V200 with my HD 800's. The influence on the sound is very subtle. To be honest I've got a real problem to recognize any differences between those two.

Glad to hear that, thank you.
My HD 800s are still on their way, so not sure how they will react to different amps, but I haven't been very picky (or just lucky?) in regards to that thus far.
I am just afraid that the sound will end up being too dull (flat? dry? something like that). I like analytical headphones, but it would be nice if they stayed "musical".
Quote:
If you are willing to do your own soldering on a begginer friendly build, you should seriously consider a bottlehead crack.  Tyll's review is right on the money (http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/marvelously-addictive-bottlehead-crack).  The crack sounds great with HD800's and has a lot of upgrade potential if/when you find youself with some spare change to throw at it.

Thank you. I will look into it. I am not so great at DIY, though, but I guess this may be worth a shot.

All input is appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back