Sennheiser HD800 Appreciation Thread
Oct 20, 2012 at 10:52 AM Post #5,746 of 6,607
Quote:

I think they're the best dynamic drivers, period. But, I've spent years building a system around the 800s (and HE6s).

Quote:
I've heard these at several meets and at member's homes. I was just not quite in tune with them as I felt they were a little lean. I've had them at home on my tube amp/NOS dac and I got to say I finally hear what many of you have. These are the best dynamic piston driver headphones I've yet heard. I am sorry Lord Sennheiser for doubting your capability. They are running neck and neck with my HE-6 on speaker amps. They both have their own strengths so take your pic.
Duke, Bubu, I have seen the error of my ways.

Do you think this is a result of the Single Power?  Maybe you need to come get the Balanced M^3 as well to compare.  

Shahrose can comment on tube vs. SS with the HD800s

Oct 20, 2012 at 1:06 PM Post #5,747 of 6,607
This is a bit of a rush question but since I found a great offer a few minutes ago I need some help quickly.

Would you consider the HD800 to sound good with electronic music such as dance, techno, hardcore, house, trance?

I was considering the Ultrasone PRO 900s but now I can fit the Senns in my budget.

Oct 20, 2012 at 1:12 PM Post #5,748 of 6,607
Quote:
This is a bit of a rush question but since I found a great offer a few minutes ago I need some help quickly.

Would you consider the HD800 to sound good with electronic music such as dance, techno, hardcore, house, trance?

I was considering the Ultrasone PRO 900s but now I can fit the Senns in my budget.

The HD800s are better in every way over the Pro 900s except Bass Slam.  The HD800s are better in every other bass category.  The question is how much bass do you want and what do you want to sacrifice for it?

If you can fit the 800s in your budget now. Go for it.  Get the Pro 900s later.

Oct 20, 2012 at 1:25 PM Post #5,749 of 6,607
Quote:

The HD800s has some of the tightest most high quality bass there is - it's just not excessive. If you're used to bass heavy headphones the HD800 will seem lean at first, it's actually not lean it's just neutral and very tight. Takes some getting used to be then almost everything else will seem bloated by comparison and you won't want to go back.

And there's still nothing that says you can't use a +3db bass boost in your equaliser. The HD800 are vastly superior to the Pro900 - if you have the funds I'd say go for it.

Although it should be said the LCD-2 is pretty damn good for electronica. And T1 and HE-500 aren't bad either

Oct 20, 2012 at 1:40 PM Post #5,750 of 6,607
prepro,

I'll drop off the tube amp and let you roll some tubes (though the TS5998/WE396A combo is hard to beat, maybe a TS 2c51). The Extreme was the platinum version and I also included BG coupling caps. I think you'll like what they do to the 800. Before I make any statements on here, I'll level match both headphones so that won't be a point of contention.

Oct 20, 2012 at 1:49 PM Post #5,752 of 6,607
Quote:
prepro,
I'll drop off the tube amp and let you roll some tubes (though the TS5998/WE396A combo is hard to beat, maybe a TS 2c51). The Extreme was the platinum version and I also included BG coupling caps. I think you'll like what they do to the 800. Before I make any statements on here, I'll level match both headphones so that won't be a point of contention.

Take your time HC - enjoy the music.

Oct 20, 2012 at 2:05 PM Post #5,753 of 6,607
I picked the HD800s for EDM over even the LCD 2. The texture throughout the spectrum was fantastic, and if you get into more Downtempo Electronic it pulls away even more.

Oct 20, 2012 at 2:57 PM Post #5,754 of 6,607
Quote:
Shahrose can comment on tube vs. SS with the HD800s

I've always considered myself an SS guy. Usually, the best SS is the most transparent, linear and accurate. But, the 800s mate really well with tubes. I never liked the mushiness and inaccuracy of tubes, but the hybrid Peak/Volc fixed those shortcomings for the most part. At this point, my favourite headphone + amp combo is the Peak (Shuguang Treasure or Russian 6H8C) + HD800. There are other tubes that sound amazing too, but just different. (For example the Sylvania Bad Boy, which is more liquid/expansive but has less impact/speed).

Second favourite setup is the Dynahi + HE6, then Beta + 800 / Dynahi + 800 and lastly Beta + HE6. But really, they all sound good. If you're wondering, the Peak + HE6 is my least favourite...not enough power.
The SRH1840, AD2000, HD650s I lend to family...good as they are, I have no time for them with the 800/HE6 here.

Quote:
prepro,

HC, try out an aftermarket cable on the Senns when you get a chance. Also, unlike the HE6, the HD800 is really dependent on source and amp quality (as opposed to raw power).

Oct 20, 2012 at 3:06 PM Post #5,756 of 6,607
Oct 20, 2012 at 4:19 PM Post #5,758 of 6,607
The SP is by no means a totl tube amp but decent. I always liked Senns on them but wasn't a Senn fan until this one. Tubes will let you voice them to your tastes.

Yes, I let prepro fund and I leech:p

Oct 20, 2012 at 10:24 PM Post #5,759 of 6,607
I purchase a set of HD800 from another head-fier AC500 and I personally love the way they sound, right now I'm using it with a Audio-GD NFB-12 DAC/Amp it sounds pretty good, Main source is my PC with Titanium HD sound card, I been thinking on purchasing a tube amp since i here it goes well with the senn, the one i been lookin to get is the Little Dot MKIII, unless you guys have any other options that are not too expensive. 

also i just order a Cardas Cable, hope this will be good investment for my headphones.

Thanks

Ozz.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back