Sennheiser HD800 Appreciation Thread
Oct 15, 2012 at 5:36 AM Post #5,686 of 6,607
Double Helix Cables and Q-Audio Cables are my favorites.

Oct 15, 2012 at 5:58 AM Post #5,687 of 6,607
Oct 15, 2012 at 9:51 AM Post #5,688 of 6,607
DHC sure seems nice! As does ALO - seems like a very similar product really.

I think as long as you get rid of the silver that's in the stock cable it should smooth out the harshness a bit, at least that's my guess.

Oct 15, 2012 at 10:04 AM Post #5,690 of 6,607
It doesn't. Get a V200 HPA instead of spending too much money on cables. V200 especially gives the HD 800 a great bottom end. 

Oct 15, 2012 at 10:55 AM Post #5,692 of 6,607
Quote:

Armed with my HD 800's frequency response graph and a parametric EQ, I EQ'd my HD 800 to a flat response and the result is much, much easier on my hearing than the stock HD 800 sound. All the piercing highs are gone and there is more bass, and so far I'm finding the overall sound of the EQ'd HD 800 to be a more enjoyably visceral experience in relation to the stock HD 800.

Agree!
I also, sometimes, use the EQ, to soften the sound in the 6K range.
My current PWDII usually handles in this field well. For my prev. DAC it was really necessary.

Oct 15, 2012 at 11:22 AM Post #5,693 of 6,607
Quote:
What other cables did you try also?

I'm having mixed feelings on the stock cable.  Part of me really likes it.  It's aesthetically as nice as any aftermarket, feels nice, and IMO if you're running with an EQ, sounds as good as any aftermarket.  Senn finally shook the curse of the horrible stock cables on this one.

On the other hand, maybe it's just because I'm spoiled by the ergonomic flexibility and light weight of the Q on my HE-6, but this thing is completely unmanageable.  It knots like crazy, won't hold shape when I try to ravel it for hanging it all on my Woo stand, and the thing springs around like it's made of rubber or silicone....probably because it appears to actually be jacketed in rubber or silicone and wrapped with a wire....

Oct 15, 2012 at 11:46 AM Post #5,694 of 6,607
I'm thinking the stock cables problem has more to do with it's thin gauge (28ish) more than the materials used. It seems a couple of members had good results with even a pure silver cable-which was also a thicker gauge. Would help to not choke off the bass, I'd imagine.

-Daniel

Oct 15, 2012 at 11:48 AM Post #5,695 of 6,607
Quote:

On the other hand, maybe it's just because I'm spoiled by the ergonomic flexibility and light weight of the Q on my HE-6, but this thing is completely unmanageable.  It knots like crazy, won't hold shape when I try to ravel it for hanging it all on my Woo stand, and the thing springs around like it's made of rubber or silicone....probably because it appears to actually be jacketed in rubber or silicone and wrapped with a wire....

I actually have no issue with the stock cable in that regard.

Oct 15, 2012 at 12:10 PM Post #5,696 of 6,607
Quote:
I'm thinking the stock cables problem has more to do with it's thin gauge (28ish) more than the materials used. It seems a couple of members had good results with even a pure silver cable-which was also a thicker gauge. Would help to not choke off the bass, I'd imagine.

-Daniel

Wow, it's 28awg while being that thick?  That's a lot of jacketing.... With EQ I haven't found bass to be choked off, but if what you say is true, 28awg for a ~10ft cable....I could see how something thicker might work out better.  Interesting.  You shouldn't go inspiring me to make more cable purchases like that.

On the other hand the stock is pretty
biggrin.gif

Quote:

I actually have no issue with the stock cable in that regard.

Interesting.  I remember someone complaining about Denon stock cables and how they tangled like crazy...I never had a problem with tangling.  But on the HD800 cable, I get it knotting and tangling and simply not wanting to roll into a coil and stay there to hang it.  But it makes sense, it seems like the y-split must be the same type of jacketing used below...which is a rubber/silicone material.  And the whole thing does bend the same way as that kind of shape-holding stuff.

Oct 15, 2012 at 2:44 PM Post #5,698 of 6,607
Quote:
Interesting.  I remember someone complaining about Denon stock cables and how they tangled like crazy...I never had a problem with tangling.  But on the HD800 cable, I get it knotting and tangling and simply not wanting to roll into a coil and stay there to hang it.  But it makes sense, it seems like the y-split must be the same type of jacketing used below...which is a rubber/silicone material.  And the whole thing does bend the same way as that kind of shape-holding stuff.

That's quite odd. I've heard the HD800 you had at a meet and had no issues with it and works the same way as my HD800 cable. The Denon is a completely different story since the sleeve is another material where it kinks a lot. Usually I don't have an issue with tangles since it could be the way that you coil it.

Oct 15, 2012 at 3:24 PM Post #5,699 of 6,607
According to 6 Moons-it's actually a 36awg cord/wire...yeah I definitely thing a thicker gauge could really help at that point!

-Daniel

edit: My former D2000's stock cord was one of my most hated things in my Headfi journey. A toss up between that and the K70x's gouging      headband bumps...

Oct 15, 2012 at 3:29 PM Post #5,700 of 6,607
Quote:

That's quite odd. I've heard the HD800 you had at a meet and had no issues with it and works the same way as my HD800 cable. The Denon is a completely different story since the sleeve is another material where it kinks a lot. Usually I don't have an issue with tangles since it could be the way that you coil it.

Yeah I definitely don't think it's pair-specific...I think it's just the materials of the cord.  Try to flex it...it springs back.  I mean it's not horrible it's just mildly annoying. Oddly I don't have issues with the Denon cables at all (Though the y-split does kink on those.)

Part of the issue here is just that the cord is longer than I need which makes it more prone to tangle....but the way I coil it apparently must be at issue.  Again it's not an actual problem, just a minor nuissance compared to my Q.  Or my shorter Moon Dragons. But they're a bear in their own way.

Quote:
According to 6 Moons-it's actually a 36awg cord/wire...yeah I definitely thing a thicker gauge could really help at that point!

-Daniel

Eeew.  All that bulk and heft for a 4x36awg wire cable?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back