Sennheiser HD800 Appreciation Thread
Sep 28, 2012 at 2:06 AM Post #5,555 of 6,607
Sep 29, 2012 at 3:32 PM Post #5,559 of 6,607
Just listening to Miles Davis' Live In Tokyo with the HD 800. I love the Columbia/Legacy jazz reissues. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 30, 2012 at 3:21 AM Post #5,560 of 6,607
Quote:
Does anyone if the HD800 cable can be reterminated into a balanced cable? I think I may have my cable terminated into a 4 pin XLR and then made into an adapter to SE

Nate Maher did this to my HD800 cable at CanJam 2009 so it could be used as the demo in the TTVJ room, so yeah, no problem at all.

Sep 30, 2012 at 3:24 AM Post #5,561 of 6,607
Quote:
Hi All,

I just became the latest owner of the Sennheiser HD800's. They arrived at house today but I'm at work so I can't enjoy them just yet. My plan is to build around them starting with a good DAC. I found a demoed version of the PS Audio Digital Link III that I"ve read good things about.My next move is to have the Cullen Stage IV mods done to it. Since I got a good deal on the DLIII I figure the Mods is a no brainer.

My next purchase will be the Woo Audio WA6SE. I choose this amp over the WA22 since it pairs well with IEM's and other headphones. After that maybe a cable upgrade then I'll be all set. The cable is last on the list because I want to see what the equipment upgrade brings to the table before I think about making a cable change. I'm hoping the cable change won't be necessary. Are my choices for associated equipment good ones?

Side by side a friend's Cullen modded DLIII was a bit more refined and spacious sounding than my stock one, when we compared them at the 2009 CanJam.  Definitely worth the upgrade if you already have a DLIII.

Oct 1, 2012 at 6:51 PM Post #5,562 of 6,607
I've been listening with my HD 800 frequently over the past few weeks and with a varying selection of music. Without comparing it to other cans find the HD 800 utterly satisfying. Though I very well may explore other flagship phones and amping in the future, I know I could easily live with the HD 800 as my one and only music-listening headphone. What a privileged bunch we HD 800'ers are!

I'm really looking forward to the HDVA 600 - hopefully with a neutral-sounding DAC like the Lavry DA10, it'll be a sublime complement to the HD 800. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back