Sennheiser HD800 Appreciation Thread
Sep 26, 2012 at 11:03 PM Post #5,536 of 6,607
Quote:

Aftermarket copper does some things better and some things worse than the stock cable. 

I agree with this.  I just feel that it helps more than hurts, for my tastes.  Really all preference in the end but the stock silver sounds thin and lacks fullness and bass/warmth.  On the other hand it is obviously more transparent.  So i guess for me it is a trade off of a touch of the transparency for a fuller warmer sound.  I go the opposite way with my HD650 that i use silver plated on-Zu mobius ll.  They at one time were the preferred cable upgrade for 650's.  Cleans them up quite a bit.

Sep 26, 2012 at 11:42 PM Post #5,537 of 6,607
Quote:
I just ordered a pair of 800s off of Amazon (damn, I forgot they charge sales tax now!) and I'm going to get an Emmeline II The Raptor amp to go along side it.

Whay a Raptor?  Have you heard it and other competitors in the $1200 range?

Sep 27, 2012 at 12:24 AM Post #5,539 of 6,607
Quote:

Whay a Raptor?  Have you heard it and other competitors in the $1200 range?

I do not have the means of testing out amps, so I can only go by what I've read and what others say. I've read quite a bit about this amp and the mention of it in the 2012 Summer Guide as being a "glorious pairing" pretty much sold it for me. I haven't bought it yet though, so if you have another recommendation, I'd at least look into it.

Sep 27, 2012 at 12:41 AM Post #5,540 of 6,607
Quote:
I do not have the means of testing out amps, so I can only go by what I've read and what others say. I've read quite a bit about this amp and the mention of it in the 2012 Summer Guide as being a "glorious pairing" pretty much sold it for me. I haven't bought it yet though, so if you have another recommendation, I'd at least look into it.

V200,  $1,000. perfect for 800s.
cool.gif

Sep 27, 2012 at 2:17 AM Post #5,541 of 6,607
Sep 27, 2012 at 2:18 AM Post #5,542 of 6,607
Quote:

What's your budget?

For me resolution, imaging and spatiousness are supreme HD800 qualities.  Anything in front of them should not get in the way of those aspects and play to those strengths.  Hopefully w/o messing up the proper balance and low end capabilities the HD800 is capable of.

Sep 27, 2012 at 5:23 AM Post #5,544 of 6,607
Quote:
Quote:
I need to find my original cable so I can plug into an amp I want to try with the HD800. Anybody ever try them out of an X-Can V3? I think that it will be quite dynamic but maybe too bright.

Not too bright, i think that my other amps(Zana Deux and V200) give more detail and depth, the XCAN-3 is okay, i think of it as being warm.  I run it with the xpsu separate power supply and the xdac.  I did the whole thing at one time.  I still use the setup to feed my stereo system using the X10 tube buffer instead of the xcan in line.

I have the Xpsu as well, but my DAC is the Bel Canto DAC2; it has the same form factor as the MF units so it fits right in, but it may be causing the bright edge that I hearing out of the HD600. Otherwise it sounds really good with plenty of power to spare, that's why I thought of trying the HD800 with it.

Sep 27, 2012 at 9:37 AM Post #5,545 of 6,607
I'm going to get another head-fi member to terminate my stock cable into a 4 pin XLR and then also have a XLR to 1/4" adapter. I'll have two cables now just in case anything happens. This is also a good time to shorten the cable to around 7 feet or so.

I've been using my Anedio D1 and the Schiit Mjolnir amp and I really like them. It's making me seriously consider selling the V200 but not sure yet. I have an AD2k that I really like but it is SE so it's a bit more difficult since that would mean when I use that headphone to use the D1 dac/amp but the D1 alone does sound better than with the V200...decisions decisions :)

Sep 27, 2012 at 9:45 AM Post #5,546 of 6,607
Now this sounds like what you're doing already, but what I'd do is cut it at 7 feet and put on a 4 pin, then take the cut piece and make that an adapter. Then you're got both things you need and an extension cable. :D

Quote:
I'm going to get another head-fi member to terminate my stock cable into a 4 pin XLR and then also have a XLR to 1/4" adapter. I'll have two cables now just in case anything happens. This is also a good time to shorten the cable to around 7 feet or so.

I've been using my Anedio D1 and the Schiit Mjolnir amp and I really like them. It's making me seriously consider selling the V200 but not sure yet. I have an AD2k that I really like but it is SE so it's a bit more difficult since that would mean when I use that headphone to use the D1 dac/amp but the D1 alone does sound better than with the V200...decisions decisions :)

Sep 27, 2012 at 10:17 AM Post #5,547 of 6,607
Hi,

I just read a few of the prior posts on a single 4-pin XLR vs.two 3-pin XLRs when making a custom balanced cable for HD800s.  Since I may be having a custom cable made in the future and some amps that I am considering only offer a 4-pin XLR out, others have 2 x 3-pin XLR outs and some have both, I wanted to understand if this the pros and cons of going either way. Obviously, a 4-pin ergonomically is attractive. Any considerations for or against would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Bob

Sep 27, 2012 at 10:44 AM Post #5,548 of 6,607
There's no advantage to 3 pin XLRs. For some reason...someone decided it was a good idea in the early days of balanced amps and it unfortunately seems to have stuck for awhile. 

Most amps have the 4 pin option and it's the best way to go. If you absolutely have to you can get a 4 pin to dual 3 pin adapter. I have one just in case.

Quote:
Hi,

I just read a few of the prior posts on a single 4-pin XLR vs.two 3-pin XLRs when making a custom balanced cable for HD800s.  Since I may be having a custom cable made in the future and some amps that I am considering only offer a 4-pin XLR out, others have 2 x 3-pin XLR outs and some have both, I wanted to understand if this the pros and cons of going either way. Obviously, a 4-pin ergonomically is attractive. Any considerations for or against would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Bob

Sep 27, 2012 at 11:09 AM Post #5,549 of 6,607
Quote:
There's no advantage to 3 pin XLRs. For some reason...someone decided it was a good idea in the early days of balanced amps and it unfortunately seems to have stuck for awhile. 

Most amps have the 4 pin option and it's the best way to go. If you absolutely have to you can get a 4 pin to dual 3 pin adapter. I have one just in case.

+1

2 x 3 pins are just archaic.

Back to the HD800. It is truly a superb headphone, even on it's stock cable.

I have had my pair for over two months now, and I just have not had the urge to listen at all, to my LCD-2 and HE500 both with $1K+ cables, the SRH 1840 on a SPC cable and have sold the HD650 with SPC cable to a fellow Head Fi member.

Totally loving the HD800

Users who are viewing this thread

Back