Sennheiser HD800 Appreciation Thread
Sep 1, 2012 at 9:40 PM Post #5,341 of 6,607
Quote:
Anax, I'm curious but what amps would you consider those that can do justice to the HD800?

on a side note I went to Michael's this afternoon and picked up materials for the mod to the HD800. Only a matter of time before I actually do the mod lol

Just my two cents with amps that I owned/own:

For around $1k: WA2, GS-1

For much more than $1k: WA22, Liquid Fire, GS-X

I wouldn't recommend gear lesser to the WA2/GS-1/V200 for the HD800s as a long term solution. But as well, one has to equally consider the dac/source part of the chain.

Many drop the load so to speak on the HD800s and then go and spend a very limited amount on sub-par gear (amp/dac/source) and then wonder why the HD800s aren't earth shattering. But for really transparent headphones like the HD800s, they will only reveal to you what "issues" you have upstream.

Sep 1, 2012 at 9:53 PM Post #5,342 of 6,607
Quote:
LF. 

Extra ten grand? Unless you're running without an amp it's a bit less :D

You should also consider that there's plenty of other good stat amp offerings for less. LL, Craig's new amp, Stax own stuff, Woo Audio, etc.

Well I've listened at meets and really have liked the Blue Hawaiian with both Omega and 007.  I haven't heard the 009 enough to make a decision but when i get to that point i will listen to all options. So with those(007 or 009) i would be looking at $7500-$11,000.    

But again, that is to make a jump above what i have, which is Zana Deux->HD800.  I have listened a lot and to even consider going that route these would be the minimum.  Anyway i am pretty happy with what i have and probably the only thing on the horizon would be the TH900, an electrostat rig would be way off in the future and by then who knows what may change in technology.

Sep 1, 2012 at 10:12 PM Post #5,343 of 6,607
Quote:
Just my two cents with amps that I owned/own:

For around $1k: WA2, GS-1

For much more than $1k: WA22, Liquid Fire, GS-X

I wouldn't recommend gear lesser to the WA2/GS-1/V200 for the HD800s as a long term solution. But as well, one has to equally consider the dac/source part of the chain.

Many drop the load so to speak on the HD800s and then go and spend a very limited amount on sub-par gear (amp/dac/source) and then wonder why the HD800s aren't earth shattering. But for really transparent headphones like the HD800s, they will only reveal to you what "issues" you have upstream.

The GS-1 is an amp I have wanted to hear but unless I'm mistaken that is out of production. I do wonder what it would be like to own an amp that is not as warm as the V200. I'm not sure what that would be in that price range however (maybe a Beta22? I would have to read up on the impressions since it's been a while). Then again maybe I am a bit crazy since I find the amp in the D1 to be better than the V200. I've been pretty happy with the combo which is something I can't say for any other combo I've had since I joined head-fi so gives me more time and money to spend on finding new music :)

I do agree about the sub par gear compared to the headphones that many seem to have. I find it boggling when people spend 1k on a headphone then have  the rest of their gear limiting the headphone by a large amount. I think most in here would say my Anedio D1 and Violectric V200 amp is not sub par gear but I do wonder about the amp sometimes..

Sep 2, 2012 at 12:02 AM Post #5,344 of 6,607
Quote:
Well I've listened at meets and really have liked the Blue Hawaiian with both Omega and 007.  I haven't heard the 009 enough to make a decision but when i get to that point i will listen to all options. So with those(007 or 009) i would be looking at $7500-$11,000.    

But again, that is to make a jump above what i have, which is Zana Deux->HD800.  I have listened a lot and to even consider going that route these would be the minimum.  Anyway i am pretty happy with what i have and probably the only thing on the horizon would be the TH900, an electrostat rig would be way off in the future and by then who knows what may change in technology.

My personal opinion is that the BHSE is a good match with the 007 but not with the 009. IMO the 009 sound lean too lean with that amplifier. I went for the Stax SRM-727II for the moment (they sound pretty good with it) to later upgrade to the A-10 Thunderbolt or maybe the new Electra.

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Sep 2, 2012 at 12:24 AM Post #5,345 of 6,607
Quote:
IMO the 009 sound lean too lean with that amplifier.

Ditto

later upgrade to the..... new Electra.

Ditto

@rawrster

PM'd

Sep 2, 2012 at 1:03 AM Post #5,346 of 6,607
I wasn't paying close enough attention to what was driving the two 009's i heard in Los Angeles at the meet actually.  I am not up on them all.  I heard a few originally with the Omegas and 007's and the big Senn system with the HE90's and 60's at one time and when i hit the Blue Hawaiian it took it.  After that i had my mind set, but if it ends up being the 009's then i will of course reevaluate.  Thanks for the heads up.  Lets see, if i put away fifteen hundred a year, no wait a minute.....two thousand a year aah aaah how many yee..rs aaaa five.  hmmm.
tongue.gif

Sep 2, 2012 at 7:54 AM Post #5,347 of 6,607
Hello!

Does anyone know something about the materials used for the HD800? I am most interested to hear about the aluminium foil material on the exterior surrounding the black metal mesh and covering the drivers. It is soft to the touch to the point of being able to bend it. Does anyone know what kind of material is this and is it at all safe to even touch it?

Sep 2, 2012 at 8:49 AM Post #5,348 of 6,607
Hello!

Does anyone know something about the materials used for the HD800? I am most interested to hear about the aluminium foil material on the exterior surrounding the black metal mesh and covering the drivers. It is soft to the touch to the point of being able to bend it. Does anyone know what kind of material is this and is it at all safe to even touch it?

Its safe to touch it but it is probably the most sensitive part of the headphone apart from the driver. You need to take special care with HD800.

Sep 2, 2012 at 8:51 PM Post #5,349 of 6,607
I just got back home from a 12-hour drumming/music/recording session and thought I'd check one or two of my headphones to gauge how convincing the sound was in relation to how live music sounds again. 

Listening to Mastodon's Leviathan with the HD 800 right now I'm really impressed with my HD 800 rig and am especially appreciating the HD 800's 'out-of-the-head' imaging. I'm wowed at how its imaging facilitates 'seeing' the whole picture of the music with such great clarity, allowing microscopic inspection of details without whilst providing very convincing impact (after recabling and using Amarra), even at my low-volume listening level of ~70-75 dB. I'm in headphone heaven right now and feeling very grateful for the HD 800! If this HD 800 rig is my last ever head-fi related purchase, I'll be satisfied. Though I would still like to head the SR-009 and probably the Orpheus again!

Back to the music.

smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 2, 2012 at 9:29 PM Post #5,350 of 6,607
Quote:
Its safe to touch it but it is probably the most sensitive part of the headphone apart from the driver. You need to take special care with HD800.

I had a dream that when I caught my HD800 from falling on the ground, my fingers punctured through the silver mesh. Man, what a nightmare.

Sep 2, 2012 at 9:37 PM Post #5,351 of 6,607
Quote:
Anax, I'm curious but what amps would you consider those that can do justice to the HD800?

on a side note I went to Michael's this afternoon and picked up materials for the mod to the HD800. Only a matter of time before I actually do the mod lol

If you’re on a budget I’d recommend the Little Dot lV SE – works a treat !

For anyone in the know btw: what would you recommend investing in for this Amp? My Titaium HD is great for games but need something better for music.

Little Dot Dac one?
or
HRT Music Streamer Pro?

On the main note: love my HD800’s only got them a month ago and these are the best cans I’ve come across :) they make my old Denon 7000’s sound like a joke :) upgraded to the 800's from the 650’s - took a bit of time to save up for the beauties (6 months actually lol) but worth every penny :)

Sep 2, 2012 at 9:48 PM Post #5,352 of 6,607
I was just wondering about his opinion. I'm not really in the market for anything headphone related for once. I'm not sure if there really is an upgrade to my amp that is SE and also roughly the same size. Most of the amps in that price range seems to be much bigger, more expensive and balanced which means a complete overhaul of my system since my dac is SE. At this point my rig is pretty much end game for me.

The only thing I can think of is to try the Anaxilus mod and see how that goes.

Sep 3, 2012 at 2:57 AM Post #5,353 of 6,607
I had a dream that when I caught my HD800 from falling on the ground, my fingers punctured through the silver mesh. Man, what a nightmare.

wow tough time, I dreamt my friends died before and my house exploded but never something so terrible

Sep 3, 2012 at 11:27 AM Post #5,355 of 6,607
I had a listen to the HD800s again today and while I haven't been a huge fan in the past there's one thing that the HD800s absolutely excel at and that is soundstage. I've never heard any other headphone that has such speaker-like presentation.

They do sound pretty lean but I wasn't as bugged by it as I have been in the past. Maybe I'm getting to the point in my head-fi career where I can begin to appriciate what the HD800s offers?

Hmmm.... might have to get a pair and give them a serious try.

Anyone in Europe who are tired of theirs? PM me if that's the case.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back