Sennheiser HD800 Appreciation Thread
May 23, 2012 at 11:04 AM Post #4,261 of 6,607

IMO, the HD800 out of my dynamic rig goes a hair deeper in the bass than the SR007 out of my stat rig, but it's nothing I worry about or really even notice. The HD800 is hardly dark though. I do feel that the HD800 out of a great amp/DAC will keep up with any 'stat out of a mediocre amp/DAC. But the 'stats pull start to pull away once you get the rest of the chain in place. Their presentations are very different though.
The HD800 are not as picky as many would have you believe. But some effort to match them with the right amp is required. The LCD2 is a notch below the HD800, but you can generally get good to decent results with whatever amp/DAC you throw at it. 

I see, Do you recommend Burson Audio HA-160DS with HD800 ? And for more closer bass/studio sounding you prefer HD800 or Stax RS-007 ? Thanks

May 23, 2012 at 11:14 AM Post #4,262 of 6,607
Windsor, how can I measure my db levels reliably to know that I am listening at 70-80?

I've been using a free app by Ultimate Ears called UE SPL and putting it inside my headphone's earcups when playing music through them.

May 23, 2012 at 11:17 AM Post #4,263 of 6,607
I see, Do you recommend Burson Audio HA-160DS with HD800 ?And for more closer bass/studio sounding you prefer HD800 or Stax RS-007 ?Thanks

If I had to, and I knew I would never spend a cent more, I would with some hesitation, get the Burson for the HD800. The Burson is very polite and genteel sounding (I've heard others describe it as boring), but that characteristic makes it gel well with the HD800. Also, the Burson seems to love to drive high Z headphones like the HD800 and HD650.

I would prefer a well put together $12K+++ SR007 rig (headphone/amp/DAC) over a $9K HD800 rig.
I would prefer a well put together $9K HD800 rig over a $7K SR007 rig.

May 23, 2012 at 11:29 AM Post #4,264 of 6,607
<snip> so i know hd600 is also a reference headphone, its okay. But i think hd800 is my way.

The HD800 does kick the HD600's ass.

Quote:
My last question is; as i know (or as i read) hd 800 is a bright headphone where many people recommend wam
amphies with tubes or etc, but as i understand from RWA Isabelline it's not so transparent so i have curiosities about matching
them, one of my intention is to listen to this unit maybe lots of hours in one day, where both of them are recommended
for this, but how do they match? Need some more opinions :)

The RWA is a good tonal match with the HD800s.

Quote:

The most charming part for me is the mobility of the device; cause it can be carried to bedroom or near
to tv unit when watching movies from bluray etc (which i enjoy watching movies with headphones)
And the system is irrelevant from cables, stand and other power problems etc.

Indeed. There have been reports of famous people using the RWA as a portable.

May 23, 2012 at 11:41 AM Post #4,265 of 6,607
If I had to, and I knew I would never spend a cent more, I would with some hesitation, get the Burson for the HD800. The Burson is very polite and genteel sounding (I've heard others describe it as boring), but that characteristic makes it gel well with the HD800. Also, the Burson seems to love to drive high Z headphones like the HD800 and HD650.

I would prefer a well put together $12K+++ SR007 rig (headphone/amp/DAC) over a $9K HD800 rig.
I would prefer a well put together $9K HD800 rig over a $7K SR007 rig.

I got your point so If I can't afford a good rig for the SR-007 better stick with HD800 (Though I don't have) I have T1/ED8 You think It will drive good wih Burson Audio HA-160DS? I'm looking forward to get Fostex TH900 or Audez LCD-2 , which one would you go with ? Thanks alot for your answers

May 23, 2012 at 12:12 PM Post #4,266 of 6,607
Burson should be fine with T1 (high impedance) or ED8 (very efficient). The LCD2 will be very different sounding from anything you have.

TH900 vs. LCD2 is tough. Let me think out loud: The LCD2 is a known quantity for me whereas the TH900 is fresher and new (only heard it once). The LCD2 is reasonably priced (taking into account the current trend of crazy price escalation). The LCD2 has awesome bass, but it feels like you are wearing a helmet. The TH900 feels really nice in your hands and on your head, like a luxury product. TH900 has a slight U-curve with a lush sound and no major irregularities with its tonal balance. TH900 is pricey. TH900 has nice reddish shiny cups that you could lick.

I'd probably take the TH900 and with a HeadAmp GSX to boot - mainly because I already have laid-back sounding headphone in the 007.

May 23, 2012 at 2:19 PM Post #4,267 of 6,607
Ha ha ha , thank you Purrin :wink: By the way the pics are fine, so i can carry it on the street :)

May 23, 2012 at 2:33 PM Post #4,268 of 6,607
Silly question: my balanced cables arrived today. There is a red connector and black connector for both ends. Does it matter which I plug in as long as it matches both ends (do the colors mean anything besides matching L and R for the ends)?

May 23, 2012 at 3:10 PM Post #4,270 of 6,607
Quote:
Burson should be fine with T1 (high impedance) or ED8 (very efficient). The LCD2 will be very different sounding from anything you have.

TH900 vs. LCD2 is tough. Let me think out loud: The LCD2 is a known quantity for me whereas the TH900 is fresher and new (only heard it once). The LCD2 is reasonably priced (taking into account the current trend of crazy price escalation). The LCD2 has awesome bass, but it feels like you are wearing a helmet. The TH900 feels really nice in your hands and on your head, like a luxury product. TH900 has a slight U-curve with a lush sound and no major irregularities with its tonal balance. TH900 is pricey. TH900 has nice reddish shiny cups that you could lick.

I'd probably take the TH900 and with a HeadAmp GSX to boot - mainly because I already have laid-back sounding headphone in the 007.

Sweet !! Thanks alot purrin In first place what attract me to put LCD2 In my wishlist that I've heard the bass Is really nice bass.
Did TH900 Bass Is close to LCD2 or better/worse ? or Stax 007 Is better than both ? (I'm sorry for spamming you with questions ;[)

May 23, 2012 at 4:19 PM Post #4,271 of 6,607
TH900 bass is strong, not as bloated as D7000, but it's a closed can. I much prefer open can bass. Now that being said, I've actually measured (looking at the entire spectrum on an RTA) the non-linear distortion of 50Hz, 80Hz, 100Hz, and 150Hz sine waves, and the LCD2 and LCD3 pretty much slaughter any other headphone. Basically the level of distortion does not rise above the noise floor for 90db tones. In other words, no there is detectable distortion.

Now here's the caveat, which is related to some of the discussions earlier regarding the quality of HD800 and LCD3 bass. Rarely do instruments produce pure tones. Kick drums, tympani, pianos, etc. all produce overtones, and in many cases these overtones or harmonics can end up very high in the audible spectrum. For percussion, these harmonics contribute to a lot of impact or smack that's heard in the "bass". The bass effects often found in pop or electronica typically don't have harmonics that hit as high or are as complex. This probably explains why people are having differences of opinion regarding the HD800 vs LCD3 bass. Because of it's shelved down upper-mids, the LCD2/3 will lose for bass with complex high harmonics. A lot of it comes down to being able to hear and separate the bass from the treble. I'll take LCD3 bass for Madonna's Isla Bonita or anything from Rusko. But the HD800 wins for Nirvana or The Pixies. 

May 23, 2012 at 4:25 PM Post #4,272 of 6,607
TH900 bass is strong, not as bloated as D7000, but it's a closed can. I much prefer open can bass. Now that being said, I've actually measured (looking at the entire spectrum on an RTA) the non-linear distortion of 50Hz, 80Hz, 100Hz, and 150Hz sine waves, and the LCD2 and LCD3 pretty much slaughter any other headphone. Basically the level of distortion does not rise above the noise floor for 90db tones. In other words, no there is detectable distortion.

Now here's the caveat, which is related to some of the discussions earlier regarding the quality of HD800 and LCD3 bass. Rarely do instruments produce pure tones. Kick drums, tympani, pianos, etc. all produce overtones, and in many cases these overtones or harmonics can end up very high in the audible spectrum. For percussion, these harmonics contribute to a lot of impact or smack that's heard in the "bass". The bass effects often found in pop or electronica typically don't have harmonics that hit as high or are as complex. This probably explains why people are having differences of opinion regarding the HD800 vs LCD3 bass. Because of it's shelved down upper-mids, the LCD2/3 will lose for bass with complex high harmonics. A lot of it comes down to being able to hear and separate the bass from the treble. I'll take LCD3 bass for Madonna's Isla Bonita or anything from Rusko. But the HD800 wins for Nirvana or The Pixies. 

Fantastic way to look at it that I'd never considered before. Pretty much put into words how I feel about music selection on the HD800 and LCD 2.

May 23, 2012 at 4:31 PM Post #4,273 of 6,607
Quote:

You solved the mystery of my life, Thanks alot of the detailed info, so I guess HD800 Is a must have and could get the other LCD3 Iater , And Since TH900 Is closed can as ED8 then I'll stick my options to HD800/LCD3 Since I like open cans aswell cause closed cans I can listen to 2-3 songs max before my head.rar explode In main while I can listen to HD598 or T1 for hours. Cheers

May 23, 2012 at 5:44 PM Post #4,274 of 6,607
Quote:

Interesting.

May 23, 2012 at 6:41 PM Post #4,275 of 6,607
Just trying the LCD-3 now for the first time and I'm very impressed. I posted some words about it in the LCD-3 thread and am currently enjoying it a lot. Using the LCD-3 is bit like hearing all the instrumental details of a recording without the room ambience that's so obviously revealed by the HD 800, which is still an awesome headphone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back