Sennheiser HD800 Appreciation Thread
Apr 2, 2012 at 1:47 PM Post #3,287 of 6,607
I am a hoarder of physical media in general. Especially video games. But I've been trimming down. I aim to keep a minimal headphone collection too. Just 1 or 2 IEMs. 1 full sized portable. And 1 full sized open for home. Currently the HD800. Could not be much happier with the HD800. I like. I like a lot.

Apr 2, 2012 at 1:51 PM Post #3,288 of 6,607

Quote:
Any thoughts on the Musical Fidelity M1 HPA and M1 DAC combo for the HD-800? 

People don't seems as certain as the WA2 from looking through threads, but I would prefer to stay away from tubes since I have no clue what I'm doing.

Not bad combo - detailed and smooth sound with deep bass. But on my taste midrange is a little bit distant. Tubes and some warm (tube like) solid-state amps help to make HD800's midrange warmer and more tangible.

Apr 2, 2012 at 1:55 PM Post #3,289 of 6,607
What's a typical used price for the HD800? I've decided to take the plunge and sell off some headphones I don't use as much anymore to pay for one and I figure I have enough for a used HD800 since I'm definitely not paying the price of one new.

Apr 2, 2012 at 2:00 PM Post #3,290 of 6,607

Quote:
What's a typical used price for the HD800? I've decided to take the plunge and sell off some headphones I don't use as much anymore to pay for one and I figure I have enough for a used HD800 since I'm definitely not paying the price of one new.

New is about $1250 to $1500. Although I am sure better deals pop up once in a while.

And I have seen a lot of used HD800's go for $900 on here.

Apr 2, 2012 at 3:20 PM Post #3,294 of 6,607

Quote:
Not bad combo - detailed and smooth sound with deep bass. But on my taste midrange is a little bit distant. Tubes and some warm (tube like) solid-state amps help to make HD800's midrange warmer and more tangible.

I think that's the M1 DAC's problem! Add a warmer dac to the HD 800/M1HPA combo and you've got great sound at a great price. 

Apr 2, 2012 at 4:07 PM Post #3,295 of 6,607

Quote:
I think that's the M1 DAC's problem! Add a warmer dac to the HD 800/M1HPA combo and you've got great sound at a great price. 

That's HD800's problem.
wink_face.gif

But adding warmer DAC may really improve the situation.
P. S. I heard M1HPA not only with MF DAC, but also with my Majik CD and the midrange was a little bit distant too. But my current system gives a really warm and full-bodied midrange.

Apr 2, 2012 at 4:20 PM Post #3,296 of 6,607

Quote:
That's HD800's problem.
wink_face.gif

But adding warmer DAC may really improve the situation.
P. S. I heard M1HPA not only with MF DAC, but also with my Majik CD and the midrange was a little bit distant too. But my current system gives a really warm and full-bodied midrange.

Ha! True :p HD 800's originally sound distant. M1HPA doesn't color that =) Personally I don't like coloring a headphone to something it wasn't meant to be, so I prefer only slight tonal colors when driving a headphone. A bit warmth and extra smoothness is nice for the HD 800s, but I wouldn't want to change them too much. If I want different sound I buy another headphone :) 

Apr 2, 2012 at 5:22 PM Post #3,297 of 6,607
Hmmmmm,

I have the amp narrowed down to the Musical Fidelity M1HPA. 

I ruled out the M1 DAC; would the Schitt Bifrost work well in this spot? 

I'm itching to pull the trigger on the combo; if the HD800 sounds so good out of the Nuforce HDP, I can hardly wait...

Apr 2, 2012 at 5:39 PM Post #3,298 of 6,607

Quote:
Hmmmmm,

I have the amp narrowed down to the Musical Fidelity M1HPA. 

I ruled out the M1 DAC; would the Schitt Bifrost work well in this spot? 

I'm itching to pull the trigger on the combo; if the HD800 sounds so good out of the Nuforce HDP, I can hardly wait...

As an owner of the M1DAC A, I am just curious as to why you ruled it out? Is there some bad press on it? Thanks!

Apr 2, 2012 at 6:13 PM Post #3,300 of 6,607
Not really improvised, but banana holders are popular. Personally, I got a fairly cheap Sennheiser stand that clamps onto the side of any table. Works great for my HD800.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back