Sennheiser HD800 Appreciation Thread
Apr 2, 2012 at 12:55 AM Post #3,271 of 6,607
Sorry for the bad pics and confusion I took a pic of my headphone after shot, there were little paint scratches rubbing off on the edge of the headphone from use. You wont be able to see it now cause I forgot to take before pics, but in this pic you can see how well the paint marker covers it.  Again sorry for the bad phone pic im still waiting on my 5D markIII to come in.

Apr 2, 2012 at 1:12 AM Post #3,272 of 6,607
Is that a soft tip or some kind of ballpoint or roller ball?

Apr 2, 2012 at 3:09 AM Post #3,275 of 6,607
You have a nice family sedan on your couch.

Apr 2, 2012 at 3:20 AM Post #3,276 of 6,607
Any thoughts on the Musical Fidelity M1 HPA and M1 DAC combo for the HD-800? 

People don't seems as certain as the WA2 from looking through threads, but I would prefer to stay away from tubes since I have no clue what I'm doing.

Apr 2, 2012 at 3:20 AM Post #3,277 of 6,607

Quote:
[...]

Quote:
While I anticipate the Lyr to be the bottle neck in my chain when I get the HD800, I'm a bit skeptical of the degree to which it may hamper the HD800's performance. Surely there's a baseline level of performance that somewhat justifies the cost of this headphone. Something that doesn't require end game components to glimpse.

You would be surprised how mediocre the HD800 is capable of sounding.  I heard it once at J&R World here, and it was abysmal.  I don't mean to equate that to your system, just sharing that it is possible to reach subterranean levels of suck.  I would think you've managed to extract as much transparency from the Bifrost and Lyr as you had with the FUN or your 10SE, or I guess you wouldn't have sold them.  If that's the case, you should have more than just a glimpse into the HD800's capabilities.  I do agree with Anax though on a whole, those two aren't the first things that come to mind when thinking of an ideal HD800 system, even if on a budget. 

[...]

The Lyr/Bifrost combo only needs to tide me over until the mid-tier Schiit components hit. I'd rather not go with Schiit again, the rabid following around here is a bit much imo and the lame swagger portrayed on their website and in posts is juvenile. For all the mockery of audiophilia and marketing terms, Schiit themselves are just as guilty. The thing that draws me to them is price. I hope members like Anax, purrin and co. get to listen to these components soon after release. Their impressions will be needed to balance out the blind praise generated by the noobs and the faithful.

Apr 2, 2012 at 3:29 AM Post #3,278 of 6,607
The thing that draws most people to them is the price, hence the 'rabid following'. I like their style, but I'm not a blind follower. I don't like their current amps at all except as bargains, but their DAC is excellent. I'll be pitting their new stuff up against competition every step of the way to see if it's really good or not.

Apr 2, 2012 at 5:20 AM Post #3,280 of 6,607

Quote:

People don't seems as certain as the WA2 from looking through threads, but I would prefer to stay away from tubes since I have no clue what I'm doing.

The M1 HPA matches well with the HD 800, because it's a very smooth and linear amp. But from my brief experience, the Musical Fidelity DAC's tend to sound a bit flat and metallic. 

Apr 2, 2012 at 5:22 AM Post #3,281 of 6,607

Quote:

Very nice 
popcorn.gif

Apr 2, 2012 at 6:40 AM Post #3,282 of 6,607

Quote:

I own both, and whilst the M1 HPA gets used all the time with my HD800s (I really like what it does) I've actually reverted to an old Micromega T-DAC in this system as the M1 DAC is a little thin and lacks punch.

Apr 2, 2012 at 7:29 AM Post #3,283 of 6,607
Quote:
The Lyr/Bifrost combo only needs to tide me over until the mid-tier Schiit components hit. I'd rather not go with Schiit again, the rabid following around here is a bit much imo and the lame swagger portrayed on their website and in posts is juvenile. For all the mockery of audiophilia and marketing terms, Schiit themselves are just as guilty. The thing that draws me to them is price. I hope members like Anax, purrin and co. get to listen to these components soon after release. Their impressions will be needed to balance out the blind praise generated by the noobs and the faithful.

I must admit, the amplifier looks like a win.  I'm almost tempted.  Then again, I'm highly skeptical given my previous auditions with Schiit products, and the fact that one can get a 2ch. Beta for not much more than the "circlotron."  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back