Sennheiser HD800 Appreciation Thread
Mar 31, 2012 at 11:30 PM Post #3,227 of 6,607

Quote:

Interesting. Tell me your reasoning here?

The first two HQ headphones I bought were the HD-800 and LCD-2 R1, and I agree that they are perfectly complimentary. The LCD-2 (I've only heard Rev 1) are perfect for sub-par recordings and genres involving high-impact bass and natural vocals. Occasionally, I would get fatigued with the bass or possibly wanting of more accuracy and/or larger soundstage and switch to the HD-800. The HD-800 produces the most expansive and accurate soundstage I've ever thought possible from headphones. Moreover, to me, the imaging of the soundstage is far more impressive than any other attribute of the headphones. But eventually in my listening sessions, I grow fatigued with the HD-800's quickness and occasional brightness, and then switch back to the LCD-2s. Weirdly, accuracy can get very annoying at times.

Essentially, the LCD-2's warm thick natural sound is quite complimentary to the HD-800's expansive accurate lean sound.

Mar 31, 2012 at 11:33 PM Post #3,228 of 6,607
That actually sounds pretty good. A lot of music actually don't sound all that great through the HD800 due to their accuracy. The LCD-2 sounds like a goal for my next purchase!

Mar 31, 2012 at 11:36 PM Post #3,229 of 6,607
In some ways, I find the LCD2r1 and the LCD-3 to be complementary for some of the same reasons - the 3-s treble energy (coupled with the weird sucking seal I'm getting with my current pads) can make them fatiguing, so I go to the darker LCD-2's.  The HD800's can do things for well recorded classical music that I don't think the Audeze capable of though.

Mar 31, 2012 at 11:37 PM Post #3,230 of 6,607

Quote:
The HD800's can do things for well recorded classical music that I don't think the Audeze capable of though.

All the recordings I have for classical music I'm not happy with on my HD800. I can hear constant hissing and noise because the HD800 is too brutal on the source. Can you recommend some high quality recordings?

Mar 31, 2012 at 11:47 PM Post #3,232 of 6,607

Quote:
What are your preferred composers/works? 

Edvard Grieg, Beethoven, Vivaldi, Wagner, Chopin, Bach, Mozart, Boccherini, Charles Gounod, Handel are all good.I just want some higher quality recordings...

I can hear the bad quality especially with Piano pieces. There seems to be hisses everywhere and the lack of clarity is appalling. 

Apr 1, 2012 at 12:04 AM Post #3,234 of 6,607
Just picked up a pair today. I have a Nuforce Icon HDP that I use with my Denon 7000; I plugged the HD-800 into them and they actually sound pretty great out of the box into an amp/dac that is said to pair badly with them. 

I have no clue if I should even upgrade my amp and dac.

Apr 1, 2012 at 12:23 AM Post #3,235 of 6,607
Quote:
My LCD-2 was listed in the For Sale forum prior to pulling the trigger on the HD800. Switching inputs on my dac (usb to toslink) has given me a new perspective on the rev.2. Still waiting for the HD800, but I've closed my FS listing. The LCD-2/HD800 pair seems like the perfect combo.

Kind of surprised to hear that.  Toslink always sounded poorest to me out of Apple devices.  But I recognize this could be a matter of taste.

I think the HD800 will give you the opportunity to appreciate the LCD-2 more.  I sure as heck didn't as much as I do now after borrowing the HD800s and HE-500s for 3 weeks.  

I've been sitting on the notes I took while listening to them.  Some days I think they might be useful to post, some days I think everything that needed to be said about all these phones has already been said.  

Anyway, looking forward to your thoughts on the 800.

Apr 1, 2012 at 12:30 AM Post #3,236 of 6,607

Quote:
Just picked up a pair today. I have a Nuforce Icon HDP that I use with my Denon 7000; I plugged the HD-800 into them and they actually sound pretty great out of the box into an amp/dac that is said to pair badly with them. 

I have no clue if I should even upgrade my amp and dac.

Yes.

Quote:
Quote:

Kind of surprised to hear that.  Toslink always sounded poorest to me out of Apple devices.  

x2.

Are you running the HD800 from the O2?  What's a V51 amp?  Google doesn't seem to know either.

Apr 1, 2012 at 12:47 AM Post #3,237 of 6,607

Quote:
Quote:
My LCD-2 was listed in the For Sale forum prior to pulling the trigger on the HD800. Switching inputs on my dac (usb to toslink) has given me a new perspective on the rev.2. Still waiting for the HD800, but I've closed my FS listing. The LCD-2/HD800 pair seems like the perfect combo.

Kind of surprised to hear that.  Toslink always sounded poorest to me out of Apple devices.  But I recognize this could be a matter of taste.

I think the HD800 will give you the opportunity to appreciate the LCD-2 more.  I sure as heck didn't as much as I do now after borrowing the HD800s and HE-500s for 3 weeks.  

I've been sitting on the notes I took while listening to them.  Some days I think they might be useful to post, some days I think everything that needed to be said about all these phones has already been said.  

Anyway, looking forward to your thoughts on the 800.

I have issues with toslink from my MBP skipping mid-song with the Bifrost. It causes the Bifrost to lose sync and click non stop. When it manages to get through a track or two, I'm struck with a more involving and clearer presentation, with better dynamics compared to the warmer, more upfront (but less coherent) presentation of usb. I've just tested the Bifrost's optical input using my PS3 as source (different toslink cable). Same clarity and imaging, but with a slight digital edge. Thankfully no skipping or clicking, eliminating the Bifrost input as the source of the problem. I'll be ordering a glass Siflex toslink to mini toslink cable to test with the MBP.

The Bifrost's usb implementation is good, but its optical input is much better imo. It's particularly evident with my rev.2.

Apr 1, 2012 at 2:27 AM Post #3,238 of 6,607

Quote:
Yes.

x2.

Are you running the HD800 from the O2?  What's a V51 amp?  Google doesn't seem to know either.

Glad to hear; feels funny using the HD-800 on the HDP tbh.

Lyr + Bifrost seems to be a good fit from looking over threads (not going to spend 3k on an amp/dac). Would be nice if they paired well with the D7000 as well so I can get rid of the HDP.

Apr 1, 2012 at 2:49 AM Post #3,239 of 6,607

Quote:

Lyr + Bifrost seems to be a good fit from looking over threads (not going to spend 3k on an amp/dac). Would be nice if they paired well with the D7000 as well so I can get rid of the HDP.

Lyr is going to bottleneck the HD800s transparency.  BiFrost is pretty darned good for the money, just lacks full low end extension in the sub bass.  Maybe wait for impressions of the Schiit mid-fi amp.  There's the Apex Arete and Peak.  Eddie Current S7.  Woo WA6, WA2, WA22.  Donald North Sonnet.  John Willett likes his Grace m903, haven't heard it though...yet.  Bottlehead Crack Speedball.

Apr 1, 2012 at 2:52 AM Post #3,240 of 6,607

Quote:
Lyr is going to bottleneck the HD800s transparency.  BiFrost is pretty darned good for the money, just lacks full low end extension in the sub bass.  Maybe wait for impressions of the Schiit mid-fi amp.  There's the Apex Arete and Peak.  Eddie Current S7.  Woo WA2, WA22.  Donald North Sonnet.  John Willett likes his Grace m903, haven't heard it though...yet.  Bottlehead Crack Speedball.

For sure, but he stated he didn't want to spend that much money on an amps. If we have the money, of course we'd get a WA2. If money is an issue, the Lyr/Asgard does fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back