Sennheiser HD800 Appreciation Thread
Nov 2, 2011 at 3:32 AM Post #2,341 of 6,607
Just became a HD800 owner 2 days ago, after seeing a great deal on this forum with AudioMinor aftermarket cable included. Jumped the gun and I gotta say it's one of the best deal I have made.

Maybe its the cable, but I dont feel any treble harshness, but really enjoy how the violin was reproduced on this phone with lots of impacts, dynamics and screams that I ever dreamed for, or only can be heard when listening in real life (I played violin myself, and know how violin can tickle ears, when played by a not-so-skilled palyer).

Eargasm on classical musics. I think it can still further improved with a good amp. I'm waiting for discrete SS balanced amp now, but would love to see if I can get something that would last me for the next 10 months or so :p

Nov 2, 2011 at 3:33 AM Post #2,342 of 6,607

Quote:
Just became a HD800 owner 2 days ago, after seeing a great deal on this forum with AudioMinor aftermarket cable included. Jumped the gun and I gotta say it's one of the best deal I have made.

Maybe its the cable, but I dont feel any treble harshness, but really enjoy how the violin was reproduced on this phone with lots of impacts, dynamics and screams that I ever dreamed for, or only can be heard when listening in real life (I played violin myself, and know how harsh violin can become, when played by a not-so-skilled palyer).

Eargasm on classical musics. I think it can still further improved with a good amp. I'm waiting for discrete SS balanced amp now, but would love to see if I can get something that would last me for the next 10 months or so :p

Wow, are you running the HD 800 out of an ASUS Essence ST?

Who's the maker behind this balanced solid state?

Nov 2, 2011 at 3:44 AM Post #2,343 of 6,607
Burson. But they mention they didnt have solid until next year.

I know there has been a lot of HO-HA around 160D on thier release some time back, but I'm looking on strictly amp - so this would be their strong area.

I'm very interested in B22 but not sure what would be the synergy, and difficult to arrange from Malaysia (I hadn't try to ask though).

Nov 2, 2011 at 3:47 AM Post #2,344 of 6,607

Quote:
Burson. But they mention they didnt have solid until next year.

I know there has been a lot of HO-HA around 160D on thier release some time back, but I'm looking on strictly amp - so this would be their strong area.

I'm very interested in B22 but not sure what would be the synergy, and difficult to arrange from Malaysia (I hadn't try to ask though).

Nice ~ the big solid slab of metal from Melbourne 
wink.gif

No wonder you're finding the highs tamed, it's a warm hunk of amp that thing.

Locals down here are going crazy for the 160D ~ it's a very fair deal for a
competent DAC and beefy amp.

Nov 2, 2011 at 4:02 AM Post #2,346 of 6,607

Quote:
NO I'm only using the sound card. No amp yet... well the SOUNDCARD AMP is the current one...

Ahh right, my mistake ~ impressive ~ you're in for a treat then when the amp lands.

They're picky things the HD800.

Nov 2, 2011 at 5:27 AM Post #2,347 of 6,607
I've been listening to my WA2/HD800 for a few days. I'm in love.
'Find perfect dynamic setup' is now crossed off my bucket list.

Nov 2, 2011 at 9:50 PM Post #2,348 of 6,607

Quote:
I've been listening to my WA2/HD800 for a few days. I'm in love.
'Find perfect dynamic setup' is now crossed off my bucket list.

Nice!  I rolled some tubes and just heard the most natural, realistic performance of Supertramp's 'Cannonball' yet.

Nov 10, 2011 at 11:39 AM Post #2,349 of 6,607
Hello, just joined the club. My S/N is in the 13k range. Still was not able to listen to it yet. I have one worry: I accidentally touched that 'intermediary' metallic ring (in the outer part) and notice it easily bends back and forth... Ouch. Will avoid in the future, but can this damage the phone??!!

Update: I think I am talking about the "exposed diaphragm" that someone was worried about very earlier in the thread...

Nov 10, 2011 at 11:57 AM Post #2,350 of 6,607
They are tough phones you don't need to worry about that.   Of course, you don't want skin oils getting on there too much so try to avoid in the future.
Cheers - great pair of phones - try to get them recabled with a balanced Stefan Audio Art Endorphin cable if you can - then you will see their true potential!

Nov 10, 2011 at 12:11 PM Post #2,351 of 6,607

Quote:
Hello, just joined the club. My S/N is in the 13k range. Still was not able to listen to it yet. I have one worry: I accidentally touched that 'intermediary' metallic ring (in the outer part) and notice it easily bends back and forth... Ouch. Will avoid in the future, but can this damage the phone??!!

Update: I think I am talking about the "exposed diaphragm" that someone was worried about very earlier in the thread...

What are you doing? Molesting your headphones? How do you accidentally touch the ring driver? It's protected by a plastic grill with a covering over it.

Nov 10, 2011 at 1:39 PM Post #2,353 of 6,607
I depressed that part too. Its not part of the diaphragm, just the enclosure.

Nov 10, 2011 at 1:45 PM Post #2,354 of 6,607

Quote:
purrin, 
I do not mean the driver, which is duly covered.  It is the wider metallic part around it, which is more sparsely protected by black plastic. It is not hard to touch it by accident I think...

Oh... you can touch that part all you like. It's not sensitive. It's just metal ring. I actually put foam over it as part of mods to tame the treble of the HD800.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back