Sennheiser HD800 Appreciation Thread
Nov 10, 2011 at 10:06 PM Post #2,356 of 6,607

Quote:
Thanks a lot guys, it's quite a relief. I should be able to listen it over the weekend at last!

Technically that is supposed to be an acoustically transparent part (unless I'm mistaken), so you shouldn´t worry too much about touching it. Hopefully you'll enjoy them!

Nov 10, 2011 at 10:20 PM Post #2,357 of 6,607
Got my hd800 today from robert at aphrodite cu29. Hard-wired with his zeus quad 22 cable. Which uses wireworld conductors.
I have been churning through dynamic phones for a couple years, but avoided the hd800 because of all the thrashing they get here on the forum.
And hearing them today for the first time, i did a homer "doh". I can't believe i waited this long to own this headphone.
Maybe it is the cable. Maybe it is my liquid fire amp. Maybe the bryston dac. But i heard a natural and organic sound from the moment i first pressed play.
And i know it will only get better....

Good times.....

:D

Nov 10, 2011 at 10:39 PM Post #2,358 of 6,607

Quote:
Got my hd800 today from robert at aphrodite cu29. Hard-wired with his zeus quad 22 cable. Which uses wireworld conductors.
I have been churning through dynamic phones for a couple years, but avoided the hd800 because of all the thrashing they get here on the forum.
And hearing them today for the first time, i did a homer "doh". I can't believe i waited this long to own this headphone.
Maybe it is the cable. Maybe it is my liquid fire amp. Maybe the bryston dac. But i heard a natural and organic sound from the moment i first pressed play.
And i know it will only get better....

Good times.....

biggrin.gif

Congrats! They (headphones and cable) will get even better over time as they burn-in. I love mine! I have the Zeus in my HD800, HE-6, DX1000,T1 and my upcoming T70. I actually had the Complement and sold it to keep the Zeus in my HD800.

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Nov 23, 2011 at 5:16 PM Post #2,359 of 6,607
I went to get mine today. After long hesitation, because I could never try it before, I have finally taken the plunge. For the moment it's burn-in, but my short listening gave me mouth water.

So spacious, so neutral, so captivating ... with jazz, blues, soul, its already fabulous ...

Still not past the barrier of 14,000 units sold...

Nov 23, 2011 at 5:55 PM Post #2,361 of 6,607

Quote:
but I'm ready to bet that given Sennheiser marketing power and established business it's higher than any other flagship in production today.

Yes probably.

Dec 10, 2011 at 8:21 PM Post #2,362 of 6,607

Popped into my local audio store yesterday to audition the ALO range of Reference 8 (HD800) cables

Setup was a laptop with Foobar2000, ASIO, and a Nuforce HDP lining out to a Sugden Masterclass HA-4.

Test Material :-

* Cyndi Lauper ~ various tracks from her 'Best of'
* Cavalli Audio Demo Disc ~ the man certainly loves his B52's! 
smile.gif

* Eagles ~ New York Minute (just the one track)

As I found out soon there after ~ 2 out of 3 ain't bad!

Swapping between the OEM cable and the ALO Salt and Pepper revealed no difference
to my ears with Cyndi Lauper's best efforts, from 'She-Bop' to 'I drove all night', there was
nothing in it, no further detail nor any added separation or soundstage. This was tested
back and forth a total of 4 times before I decided - it's just not there on the material.

The Cavalli Audio disc was a different matter ~ there's a few breathy vocals on that disc
and this is where the ALO cable showed it's cards. No further detail to be discerned but
the sound stage depth became much more apparent, almost like the slightest of echoes
of each note being sung - transparency definitely taking a turn for being more life like
on the ALO Ref8 cable.

'New York Minute' also kept this touch of transparency, the real clincher appeared with
a quick comparison with the Luxman integrated amp, Luxman transport and Vienna Acoustic
book shelves that were behind me at the time - this setup sounded fantastic and while any
comparison between speakers and headphones may be a bridge too far for some, the ALO cable
did add that sense of space that was not noticeable with the OEM cable, both cables did manage
to pick up a small detail here or there that I could not hear through the Vienna Acoustics so that
says a lot for the HD800's amazing detail retrieval.

All in all, there was a difference to my ears in terms of transparency ~ but only if the material
was of exceptional quality, only the individual can decide whether such a cable expense is warranted
for their listening tastes and desires.

Dec 12, 2011 at 3:08 AM Post #2,364 of 6,607

Quote:
Went to A2A here in AU to test out the HD800 vs T1 vs Audeze LCD-2s on my asus xonar essence one (I will upgrade with time)
No need to say who won since I am posting here, HD800 floored me.

Ahh been meaning to hear the Essence One ~ you generally happy with yours?

Dec 12, 2011 at 3:56 AM Post #2,366 of 6,607

Quote:
Yeah man for the price I got it for, its a start! Entry point audiophillia let's just say, hd800 is a huge leap, next I'll have to buy a better amp but I think that may take a year or so 

Ahh good work you bought it! Well HD800 is still the finest headphone I have ever heard up until now ~ STAX to come in the near future, an SR-009
 may land some time next year for audition but for the time being the big Senn' remains at the top of the leaderboard for me, it's not for treble shy
 types, they're better off with an LCD-2 but for me it's no contest.

Dec 12, 2011 at 4:21 AM Post #2,367 of 6,607
After listening to the HD800s on my E1 I really don't know what the whole fuss of not having enough bass is about, the HD800 sounds great even with electronic music to me, perhaps people are so used to coloured exaggerated basslines that they need to feel the sub right in their ear, but I felt like I was part of armins concert while listening to mirage (ive been to one so id know one)

Dec 12, 2011 at 12:07 PM Post #2,368 of 6,607

Quote:
After listening to the HD800s on my E1 I really don't know what the whole fuss of not having enough bass is about, the HD800 sounds great even with electronic music to me, perhaps people are so used to coloured exaggerated basslines that they need to feel the sub right in their ear, but I felt like I was part of armins concert while listening to mirage (ive been to one so id know one)

It's a synergy thing.  Massive attack sounds great, I can do Prodigy, hip-hop, etc.  As soon as someone says they have no bass or it's only good for classical I know they aren't hearing the phones w/ the right setup for one reason or another.  In a way I consider myself fortunate to have heard what they can do.  Otherwise I would have written them off like so many have.

Dec 12, 2011 at 1:54 PM Post #2,369 of 6,607

Quote:

It does require a powerful amp. Not necessarily the most expensive amp, but a good one.

I was using the HD800 temporarily with a peachtree musicbox and while I enjoyed their detailed sound and imaging, I felt they were a bit thin down low.

The I got a balanced RWA Isabellina HPA and the bass rumbles appropriately and is very powerful. The DNA Sonett (SE) also fills in the bottom end wonderfully. It feels more balanced across the frequency range. I love these headphones. I think they’re incredibly versatile

Dec 12, 2011 at 4:56 PM Post #2,370 of 6,607
But come on, clearly before you just jump to listen to a HD800 and consider it you put it on a decent amp and setup?
I will admit that I was guilty of misjudging the HD800, only because at the time it cost $2k and I couldn't justify that in my mind in any way possible at the time.
But after hearing a good HD800/T1, I just cant go back to a k701 or anything "lesser"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back