Sennheiser HD800 Appreciation Thread
Jul 25, 2010 at 4:32 AM Post #1,997 of 6,607
This is my current headphone-setup, and i have to say it sounds pretty amazing!
dt880smile.png

Jul 25, 2010 at 10:18 AM Post #1,998 of 6,607

But first things first, would the PS Audio Digital Link III bring a significant improvement over the nuforce uDAC? I ain't paying $500 bucks for something that is only slightly better.

It's a nice upgrade and pairs well with HD800 in 96k up sampling mode. Use 192k up sampling for darker phones.

Jul 25, 2010 at 8:50 PM Post #2,002 of 6,607

Quote:
But first things first, would the PS Audio Digital Link III bring a significant improvement over the nuforce uDAC? I ain't paying $500 bucks for something that is only slightly better.

Oh yeah...I did have the uDac for my IEMs and one night I decided to compare my DLIII and the uDAC. It's amazing just how much better the HD800s can sound with a good DAC.

Aug 21, 2010 at 11:37 PM Post #2,004 of 6,607
Ordered a pair today. I had the chance to listen to them a bit with my setup at a meet recently and have been craving them since.

I'm possibly looking for a source upgrade too: I currently have a NuForce HDP and am considering a Stello DA100, Cambridge DacMagic, or PS Audio Digital Link III, but any other suggestions in the sub-$1000 price range would be welcome.

Aug 21, 2010 at 11:38 PM Post #2,005 of 6,607

Quote:
Ordered a pair today. I had the chance to listen to them a bit with my setup at a meet recently and have been craving them since.

I'm possibly looking for a source upgrade too: I currently have a NuForce HDP and am considering a Stello DA100, Cambridge DacMagic, or PS Audio Digital Link III, but any other suggestions in the sub-$1000 price range would be welcome.

Congrats!

FWIW, I have heard the Stello DA100 and used to own the DacMagic, but I prefer the DLIII in that price range.

Aug 21, 2010 at 11:42 PM Post #2,006 of 6,607

Quote:

Well...take it a step at a time. Listen to the HD800s for enough time to be able to characterize what you'd like to improve, then ask for advice in the specific terms that will then be available to you. Who knows, maybe you'll wind up thinking "amp" instead of "DAC."

Besides, it's more fun to space the upgrades out a bit, so you have two distinct "new shiny package" moments.

Aug 22, 2010 at 12:21 AM Post #2,008 of 6,607

Quote:

I'd probably recommend the DLIII as well, because in 96K up-sampling mode it's a DA100 clone, and in 192K mode it's a little more spacious with a little more sparkle, so you get a 2 in 1 deal.  It's a good match therefore in rigs with an HD800 or an O2 Mk1.

Aug 22, 2010 at 12:35 AM Post #2,009 of 6,607
Hmm, I was thinking of selling of my DL3 and getting an Audio-gd Ref 7 to match with my Phoenix. Choices choices.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back