Sennheiser HD800 Appreciation Thread
May 31, 2009 at 9:49 PM Post #496 of 6,607
I was at Can-Jam Saturday with a buddy and we made a bee-line to the HD800s. We were underwhelmed to say the least. At that price tag we expected a WOW factor, but the sound was airy, but level, to say the least. I much preferred the Grado GS1000, Stax and Sony. My buddy, who is a Senn nut, liked the AKGs much better than the HD800s.

May 31, 2009 at 9:52 PM Post #497 of 6,607
Quote:

Originally Posted by theeditor /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was at Can-Jam Saturday with a buddy and we made a bee-line to the HD800s. We were underwhelmed to say the least. At that price tag we expected a WOW factor, but the sound was airy, but level, to say the least. I much preferred the Grado GS1000, Stax and Sony. My buddy, who is a Senn nut, liked the AKGs much better than the HD800s.

not enough time.....time is the key word....

May 31, 2009 at 9:54 PM Post #498 of 6,607
Quote:

Originally Posted by theeditor /img/forum/go_quote.gif

What model Stax, Sony, and AKG are you referring to?

May 31, 2009 at 9:56 PM Post #499 of 6,607
@subtle

You misunderstood, I'm talking mostly about the presentation. The speaker-like effect of the K1000 seems impossible to recreate with a conventional headphone design. I'm following this thread to read honest opinions.

May 31, 2009 at 10:54 PM Post #502 of 6,607
I like where this thread is going :wink:

Nothing wrong with enthusiastic recommendations, to counter the enthusiastic disses. If someone feels a certain way, let them express themselves. He's not a Sennheiser salesman.

I am though! Yay HD650! JK

To be honest I was thinking of taking his advice, literally...as I would HAVE to sell all my other headphones to get HD800s...not that anyone wants my crazy 650s that have a Sony MDR-F1 frame spliced to them.

May 31, 2009 at 10:55 PM Post #503 of 6,607
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oggranak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Blue is the best color. Forget the other ones. None of them come close. Paint your house blue, dye your clothes blue, the other colors don't even deserve to be mentioned in the same sentence.

Just stating the facts.

You're actually correct! Blue has always been my preferred color during my lifetime.

But why are people so small-minded! What do they expect from a first-impressions thread? Conclusive judgements? This is a place for offering the feelings from the first contact with a possible headphone-audio century milestone (for some). So give the proud new owners the room to express their enthusiasm in their own way. Just like you do in the case of criticism. It seems to me that for some the latter is more welcome or to be taken more seriously. Well, to each his own. But let the people express their honest and uncensored impressions here! And be it loaded with emotions. Why censor those?

May 31, 2009 at 10:58 PM Post #504 of 6,607
mine are burning in. i would like to get about 50-60 hours of music through them before giving them a try. i don't think i have ever had a piece of equipment that sounded "good" right out of box.

May 31, 2009 at 11:26 PM Post #505 of 6,607
Great.
so would you say that they are great rock/metal phones?how are you liking the bass?
Quote:

Originally Posted by vai-777 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have the 600, 650....had the GS1K RS-1 and K701.....none of them come close...and I'm not kidding. I have no vested interest in how many of these cans sennheiser sells...makes no difference, but if you have the $$$$ you owe it to yourself to "audition" a pair. There is no reason not to...please try not to listen to the negative comments....make your own judgement. Try them out for at least 40 or so hours and I bet you will love them...hell I'm thinking of getting a second pair because god forbid they discontinue them "for whatever reason".

I don't do Radiohead....sorry..Dream Theater, Steve Vai, Prong, Pantera, Shawn Lane, Def Leppard, Fusion in general, Satriani, Eric Johnson, Rush, King Crimson...that kind of stuff

May 31, 2009 at 11:32 PM Post #506 of 6,607
Thanks,i thought that there was a magical site that sells them for 10$ including shipping to europe hehe.
anyways,i hope someday you'll audition the HD800 and compare them to your K1000.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackmore /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Bought them up here, used, while ago, but didnt gave them attention they deserve, just in the first beginning, but after that...time limitation, I guess.

May 31, 2009 at 11:41 PM Post #507 of 6,607
Maybe its "just me"... but... does it seem strange to anyone else... that... such an expensive set of phones... receives only one or two "raves"... and... a lot of "so, sos."

And... just to be "fair and balanced"... it seems like many are equally "unimpressed" by the PS1000s.

It seems like $1000+ phones should get nothing but "rave reviews by all involved!"

So... "what's up with that?"

May 31, 2009 at 11:53 PM Post #508 of 6,607
The 800s sre starting to hit their stride now. I let them burn in overnight and they really are sounding good. Still a tad light in the bass, but very involving and lush sounding. These were one of the most hyped headphones to come out in a while, IMO that is why we are getting such a mixture of opinionated reviews and thoughts, which is a good thing. If you expect the second coming, well you may be let down a little. However if you are expecting a fine sounding headphone, I believe that's what we have here. Worth $1400 dollars? Well, that's debatable.

Jun 1, 2009 at 12:10 AM Post #509 of 6,607
Well as stated in my early impression, mine aren't goin' anywhere, you couldn't pry them from my head or hands. The ear warming fear that i originally had never has materialized, the concern about the bass being balanced but maybe slightly light(maybe due to my being used to strong DX1000 bass)still sounds well balanced and rightly weighted, esp. as an open phone. I think to get the bass up really strong, they would have had to cut the soundstage>that's what it sounds like when you a/b to 650s, the soundstage is greatly reduced and that closeness increases the bass. So i feel the weighting is done right.

Jun 1, 2009 at 12:17 AM Post #510 of 6,607
Quote:

Originally Posted by madmax7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The 800s sre starting to hit their stride now. I let them burn in overnight and they really are sounding good. Still a tad light in the bass, but very involving and lush sounding. These were one of the most hyped headphones to come out in a while, IMO that is why we are getting such a mixture of opinionated reviews and thoughts, which is a good thing. If you expect the second coming, well you may be let down a little. However if you are expecting a fine sounding headphone, I believe that's what we have here. Worth $1400 dollars? Well, that's debatable.

They are not light in the Bass...you probably don't have any material that is actually LOW bass (some recordings of Saint Saens' organ masterpieces come to mind). Most popular Music shuts down around 60 cycles and movie soundtracks might hit mid-thirties (with luck). Ever hear a thirty two foot pipe organ hit the low? Rattle your testicles (unless your the opposite gender). I tried it with this phone, it did more than a testi-tug it flapped the toenails like screen doors in a high wind. Your used to Bass lumps that are apparent in every phone I own. They give the impression of "IMPACT" when it's just a non-linear rise in response.

I laughed (chortled) that the phone literature mentioned the use of a separate "amplifier" for headphone in use with these phones. The reality...I'll say it....plan on spending at least as much toward amplification as you did for the phone. I went from Phonitor to Beta (gain 11), and Luxman P-200. Tonight the WA6SE, for some tube variant. Need powerful amps fellas!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back