Sennheiser HD800 Appreciation Thread
May 29, 2009 at 10:55 AM Post #121 of 6,607
Quote:

Originally Posted by bizkid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have a look at the new issue of "Professional Audio", they got measurements for the HD800 and lots of other headphones.

15252d1237244531-sennheiser-hd-800-first-listen-first-review-sennheiser-hd-800.jpg

I meant the individual ones.

May 29, 2009 at 12:24 PM Post #122 of 6,607
hmm that graph explains the perception of a fast sound like Tyll reports them to be hehehe. boosted lower highs hmmm gimmicky shyte there. gotta listen to them before blindly buying.

May 29, 2009 at 12:54 PM Post #123 of 6,607
Quote:

Originally Posted by donlin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, I hate to be negative here but after a lot a careful listening today one thing I know for sure is that compared to the advanced raves I am disappointed. They are not clearly the best dynamic phones ever. I can see how someone could think that but others will not. At this moment I am preferring my Denons. Maybe the Denons are euphonic and the 800's neutral, as someone has stated, but right now, the 800's are not doing it for me.

That sounds familiar... if you remember my post, from the detroit mini-meet #2, about the comparison between the markL modded Denons and HD800s (while playing "Every little thing she does..." by The Police). Definitely different ballgame.

Quote:

My opinion is that we should not look for the "wow" factor every time we listen a new headphone.We must be patient and see through the time what the headphone is capable for,when paired with the right equipment.

So for me,if the hd 800's don't have this wow factor is a good sign.I think i'll probably like them a lot.

But that's just it! That's the problem! From the get-go they are billed as `perfect... best ever...', that may set some up for the expected wow factor.... Perhaps marketing should have went a different route (?). Even so, I can see them being rotated amongst different phones depending on one's mood.

That bad part about this hobby is that we're always looking for the next fix, no matter how good something is currently, there's always something new lurking around the corner.
frown.gif

May 29, 2009 at 12:55 PM Post #124 of 6,607
Quote:

Originally Posted by bizkid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I find my flat studio monitors to be extremly impressive. and these are flat compared to 90% of the markets studio monitors:

I wasn't trying to say flat speakers sound boring. If you are accustomed to a very euphonic sound then a flat speaker can sound boring in comparison.

Quote:

Have a look at the new issue of "Professional Audio", they got measurements for the HD800 and lots of other headphones.

Do you have a link? I typed in "Professional Audio" in google and could not find a magazine called "Professional Audio."

JaZZ once pointed out that the graphs (in stereoplay?) for the HD800 and K701 had a lot of similarities. Anybody who owns both interested in a K701 vs HD800 commentary?

May 29, 2009 at 1:02 PM Post #125 of 6,607
I am disappointed (again) in the cable. A replacement costs $163, but, I warn against such. It really seems like a 650 cable, terminated differently, with a fiber stuffing and a kevlar (?) sleve. Not at all what I expected for a phone of this caliber.

Alex is reterminating my cable, and whipping up a v3, now that the ODU plugs have been verified.

Oh, and I registered last night, but no response from Senn - again, not surprising.

Listening impressions by Sunday.

May 29, 2009 at 1:26 PM Post #127 of 6,607
pabbi1, we will value your impressions when they come.............

I am afraid of groupthink, in general, in whatever form or direction, when impressions come.

It almost seems as if people have to get together in LA and ask each other,
"Well, what do you think?" about the HD800, before anybody can speak. I fear comraderie and back-slapping and heavy drinking and good old-fashioned salesmanship and BS-ing may give us a skewed and weird impression of the HD800.

Although, at this point and at this safe distance, I have no indication of which direction the groupthink may go, pro-or-con the HD800................................
devil_face.gif

May 29, 2009 at 1:26 PM Post #128 of 6,607
Quote:

Originally Posted by pabbi1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am disappointed (again) in the cable. A replacement costs $163, but, I warn against such. It really seems like a 650 cable, terminated differently, with a fiber stuffing and a kevlar (?) sleve. Not at all what I expected for a phone of this caliber.

What it looks like and what it *is* are two different things.

The HD 800 cable is fully balanced (except for the jack plug) and is silver plated OFC - nothing like the HD 650 cable.

Please - let them run in and have a really good listen.

I have had long listening sessions with the HD 800 on material I recorded and edited myself and listened to the original in the flesh (ie: the real musical instrument), so I know how they behave - I'm just not allowed to describe it here.

May 29, 2009 at 1:57 PM Post #130 of 6,607
Quote:

Originally Posted by pearljam5000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh my god,all negative impressions...

With all the hype and talk about "perfection", I am not surprised.

May 29, 2009 at 2:11 PM Post #131 of 6,607
Quote:

Originally Posted by pearljam5000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh my god,all negative impressions...

Not really - a neutral transducer is rarely impressive on first listening. If someone expects to be impressed and isn't it may be just that he is not hearing what he was expecting.

After listening for a while will he will get an impression of what it's all about.

On headphones like these I would expect to hear real impressions later.

May 29, 2009 at 2:12 PM Post #132 of 6,607
I think anyone who went into the purchase of the HD800 believing (actually really, truly believing) all the pre-delivery hype about the "best ever" will be disappointed. As good as I'm sure they are, they're still just another option amongst a myriad of other well built and engineered headphones.

Having said that, the HD800 may be so good that in order for it to show its mettle it needs all the proper, high quality, audiophile-approved components upstream. I'm sure we'll know a whole lot more in a few months.

Regardless, I am looking forward to hearing a pair some day.

May 29, 2009 at 2:22 PM Post #134 of 6,607
Quote:

Originally Posted by AudioDwebe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Having said that, the HD800 may be so good that in order for it to show its mettle it needs all the proper, high quality, audiophile-approved components upstream. I'm sure we'll know a whole lot more in a few months.

X 2,

Those expecting higher performance may be disappointed that their source and amp sound lousy, the truth hurts.

May 29, 2009 at 2:35 PM Post #135 of 6,607
As long as there will be better and worse source pairings with HD800 I would not accuse those who have already posted their initial impressions of lousy equipment. I am also not worried about is the lack of the "Denon wow" effect, as I am in the camp of those who were not looking for such characteristics in HD800 in the first place. But even taking into account that their linear signature might not stun at first, I am slightly worried that no one reports to have been impressed by their soundstage and airness - after all many of us were hoping for a noticeably, overall improved Senn sound but with a VASTLY improved soundstage (the angled drivers hype etc)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back