Sennheiser HD800 Appreciation Thread
Jun 4, 2009 at 9:15 AM Post #886 of 6,607
biggrin.gif

Jun 4, 2009 at 9:24 AM Post #887 of 6,607
Quote:

Originally Posted by ast /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The right side of my HD800 has exactly the same creak sound, whereas the left has none. I will call TTVJ tomorrow for a replacement of something.

That's like 2 unit out of a small batch of 200 units or there about.....
frown.gif

Jun 4, 2009 at 9:26 AM Post #888 of 6,607
It's just the best currently available headphone that performs well in all areas, but not the best in all.

Does that make sense?[/QUOTE]
I am sure they tested it in Sennheiser laboratory psychologically to satisfy as many people as possible the average consumer so to speak.This means it cant be a stellar performer in any particular area.

Jun 4, 2009 at 10:20 AM Post #890 of 6,607
Quote:

Originally Posted by vvanrij /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Great impressions people, you provide a good read.

A question, why do people say that 'by very impressive and neutral sound you won't be wow'd at first'? All the people who heard the Orpheus are wow'd from the start as I recall? (a bit of generalisations there, but you get the point
wink.gif
)

Also I'm eagerly waiting for more comparisons to headphones in the same price range
biggrin.gif

Well, count me in as one of the people wow'd at first by the hd800. I've been listening to a lot of music I'm familiar with, and without a shadow of a doubt, the hd800 is very impressive.

Regarding the lack of bass some people are talking about, I think a distinction needs to be made with what good clean bass sounds like, and what bloated bass sounds like. A lot of people seem to like the Denon house sound, but I don't. Bass always seems muddy.

For the moment, I'm using a PS Audio GCHA to drive the hd800, sounds killer.

DSC_0013-8.jpg

Jun 4, 2009 at 11:16 AM Post #893 of 6,607
Quote:

Originally Posted by pabbi1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My first impressions:

Source: Cambridge Azur 840c
Amp: Balanced Bijou, 6n1p / 6n6p tubes (sorry, no SE anything)
Cable: APS v3 (yes, now available)

Total burn time: Phones 11 hours, cables 6 hours

1. The hd800 is no harder to 'drive' than is the hd600, but it responds WAY better to being driven. The Bijou will drive K1000, so I am fairly certain the hd800 responds well to lots of dynamic headroom (having more power than you actually use).

2. Exceptionally fast - it is damn near he60 fast, and with better micro detail than the he60. I am hearing details heretofore not heard, like a chorus vocal overlay on Rhianna's 'Shut Up and Drive'. Truly a 'What was that' moment.

3. Dynamics - Literally shivers down the spine goodness on Tool's '10,000 Days'.

4 Balance - The Who's 'Real Me' has always been a standard for bass for me - it just sounds so balanced - bombastic bass, Keith Moon's drums crisp, the horns and guitar all PERFECTLY balanced - was that what Pete heard when he mixed / wrote it? Then, off to Neil Young 'After the Gold Rush', 'Don't Let It Bring You Down' - very sparse - Neil, guitar, drums and bass - nothing extra, no production, just music. Again, just presented what was there.

5. Bass - OK, maybe my amp and tubes - but anyone that thinks these are 'bass light' and lacking 'impact' - not in my rig. Whipped out the B-52s 'Good Stuff' - bone rattling bass, and neck breaking snap on the snare.

6. Texture - not a term I use often with headphones, and, honestly, not sure if it is the phones, synergy with the Bijou, or what, but Radiohead 'Paranoid Android' just has scrumptuous layers, all discrete, yet sintered into a ingle presentation.

Got many 000s of hours of rotations, genres, moods, and changes to go yet, so this is what I am hearing the first day. I am Senn fanboi #1, with my hd600, hd650, he60 sitting by idly (for now), as their new sibling is kicking their *****.

I can hardly wait until things are burned in - oh, and the amp I built for these phones (a transformer coupled tube amp) is almost ready to roll. The new he60 amp may be ready this weekend, so everything will be ready for the Texas Shootout on June 27th.

Thanks to Alex for the cable (delivered in person) and to Marc (luvdunhill) for the inpromptu mini-meet this afternoon. No better way to burn a half day of vacation.

All apologies - fair and balanced is not my bit.

Thats what I'm truing to tell everyone....many don't want to believe it though

Jun 4, 2009 at 11:31 AM Post #894 of 6,607
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
31T1YE51EGL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

listening to postal service - give up. a great album. there is so much going on in the beginning of each song. various little sounds from every direction, noises, claps, clicks, things shaking. plus great music in general. some impressions from listening.

* the HD800 has a very wide L/R sound stage with good extension out in front, although the height seems average. the sound stage overall is noticeably larger than the K701, which for dynamics is my reference for that area.

* the bass is tremendous. it is not only in great quantity but the impact might well be on par with the L3000/PS1. i would say at this point, on this recording, the bass is too prominent.

* there are no treble spikes or brightness. the sound is relaxed and natural.

* the instrument separation is exceptional. it is almost like listening to a bin-aural recording. this is definitely a product of the the very large sound stage. instruments/voices are positioned very well and you can discern the space between them.

* the detail is good, but the music also sounds a bit diffuse. everything is clear but not crisp. maybe it is just this recording, which uses a lot of synthesizers, but i would like things to tighten up some and come into greater focus, and for the bass to scale back a tad. otherwise, things sound excellent so far.

based on the bold would you say its similar in sound to the 650?
in which case im afraid its an eternal pass from me..

Jun 4, 2009 at 12:36 PM Post #896 of 6,607
Quote:

Originally Posted by Audio-Omega /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How many people have bought more than one HD800 ?

Bill Gates

Jun 4, 2009 at 12:37 PM Post #897 of 6,607
Not to sound gay, but I just had my best moment with the 800's listening to "Oh" by Dave Matthews of his Some Devil album. I did a little tube rolling with the Zana Deux, swapping out the valvo driver tube for a brimer. Between this and a little more burn in the 800's are sounding as good as I've heard.

Jun 4, 2009 at 1:11 PM Post #900 of 6,607
Quote:

Originally Posted by XXII /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have you compared APS v3 with the stock cable? How much better is it?

I listened to stock balanced with Furutech 701 (now surplus, and will list FS soon), but decided to not waste time A/b, though the APS is 'better'. I am not here to sell anything. My preference has always been APS (my entire chain is APS), so I just use it and enjoy. Too many moving pieces at the moment to say anything definitive about one variable, much less take the time to burn in two seperate cables.

There will be a meet in a few weeks, where others can weigh in on the delta - just a moot issue for me. Besides, the hd800 doesn't 'look finished' until it has those rhodium Furutech 601.
wink_face.gif

It is the value of the whole, not just a sum of the parts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back