Sennheiser HD800 Appreciation Thread
Jun 4, 2009 at 6:21 AM Post #871 of 6,607
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hopstretch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
These were all on the same source, right, so the amp performance could be considered in isolation?

No, they were not all on the same source. I'm sure every one or almost everyone was a different source. But I've compared multiple sources through the same amp before and the differences were very minor once you get to a certain level, so I am very confident that did not account for the major difference. Sure, it would account for some, but not the vast difference in sound that I was hearing from different amps.

Jun 4, 2009 at 6:30 AM Post #872 of 6,607
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lil' Knight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm using both the 007t and 717 for the O2. Hopefully I can find a KGSS after coming back to school.

About the M3, that's why I said it's my minimal setup, despite the fact that the M3 drives my HD600 decently. I'm still waiting for my maxxed-out Buffalo32s to replace the DacMagic which is not really detailed and dynamic.

I assure you with the right amp it will surpass the O2. I must admit I am not a stat guy but I do respect the things they do well. With that said, I heard several O2 set-ups at CanJam and none of them topped the HD800 through one of the amps I mentioned when paired with a high-end source.

Jun 4, 2009 at 6:35 AM Post #873 of 6,607
Quote:

Originally Posted by kelvinz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Any other HD800 owners hearing this weird spring creak? Other owners on the another forums stated that I should ask for an exchange...
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

I seem to recall the same, albeit much less pronounced, phenomenon when i got my 650's oh so long ago...it should dissipate fairly quickly once atop your noggin'

Jun 4, 2009 at 6:47 AM Post #874 of 6,607
31T1YE51EGL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

listening to postal service - give up. a great album. there is so much going on in the beginning of each song. various little sounds from every direction, noises, claps, clicks, things shaking. plus great music in general. some impressions from listening.

* the HD800 has a very wide L/R sound stage with good extension out in front, although the height seems average. the sound stage overall is noticeably larger than the K701, which for dynamics is my reference for that area.

* the bass is tremendous. it is not only in great quantity but the impact might well be on par with the L3000/PS1. i would say at this point, on this recording, the bass is too prominent.

* there are no treble spikes or brightness. the sound is relaxed and natural.

* the instrument separation is exceptional. it is almost like listening to a bin-aural recording. this is definitely a product of the the very large sound stage. instruments/voices are positioned very well and you can discern the space between them.

* the detail is good, but the music also sounds a bit diffuse. everything is clear but not crisp. maybe it is just this recording, which uses a lot of synthesizers, but i would like things to tighten up some and come into greater focus, and for the bass to scale back a tad. otherwise, things sound excellent so far.

Jun 4, 2009 at 6:48 AM Post #875 of 6,607
That doesn't sound normal to me. In fact, when I just played the video the speakers were turned up and it just scared my girlfriend.
biggrin.gif
But mine don't make that sound, in fact they make no sound. Call Sennheiser.

Monkey,
Regarding your concern about the 5% discount from EarphoneSolutions -- TTVJ gave us all a 2% discount on ANY product for signing up for his newsletter, so I'm sure ES is doing the same kind of thing. The dealers might have to pay that difference back to Sennheiser, who knows, but we still get the savings.

Jun 4, 2009 at 6:58 AM Post #876 of 6,607
Vcoheda,
You're using a B-52 so it should sound superb. Are you using SE or balanced on your phones? If SE, that would explain it. Re-terminate them with XLR.

Since getting back from CanJam I haven't even bothered to hook up my system again. There really is no point for me until I get a balanced Phoenix or Sonett (or both) to use with the HD800.

Jun 4, 2009 at 7:27 AM Post #878 of 6,607
No no. Don't think about it. Just get one now or reterminate your existing cable.
smily_headphones1.gif
There is no comparison between single ended and balanced through the B-52. As you said, the sound is diffuse. I call it muddy, veiled, lacking in sparkle and bass detail & control. Balanced is an entirely different performer. Clarity and focus, especially in the treble and bass shine through.

Once you go balanced they will outperform your SR-007 and HE60. To my ears, they certainly did anyway.

Jun 4, 2009 at 7:42 AM Post #879 of 6,607
HeadphoneAddict,i see you have the EF-1 amp.
if you will ever get the chance please try it with your HD800,it will be interesting for all the poor people like me hehe, who cant afford an amp that costs more the 300$ to see how will it sound.
thanks.

Jun 4, 2009 at 7:51 AM Post #880 of 6,607
..the latest postings here are dirscribing the Sennheiser Hd-800 as a near perfect headphone as far as i understood from the postings.So people, sell your Orpheus,Stax Omegas etc. and go as fast as possible and buy the perfect ultimate new SENNHEISER HD 800 headphone.Great news for all.

Jun 4, 2009 at 8:38 AM Post #881 of 6,607
Quote:

Originally Posted by kelvinz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Any other HD800 owners hearing this weird spring creak? Other owners on the another forums stated that I should ask for an exchange...
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

The right side of my HD800 has exactly the same creak sound, whereas the left has none. I will call TTVJ tomorrow for a replacement of something.

Jun 4, 2009 at 8:45 AM Post #882 of 6,607
Great impressions people, you provide a good read.

A question, why do people say that 'by very impressive and neutral sound you won't be wow'd at first'? All the people who heard the Orpheus are wow'd from the start as I recall? (a bit of generalisations there, but you get the point
wink.gif
)

Also I'm eagerly waiting for more comparisons to headphones in the same price range
biggrin.gif

Jun 4, 2009 at 8:49 AM Post #883 of 6,607
Quote:

Originally Posted by tangerine /img/forum/go_quote.gif
..the latest postings here are dirscribing the Sennheiser Hd-800 as a near perfect headphone as far as i understood from the postings.So people, sell your Orpheus,Stax Omegas etc. and go as fast as possible and buy the perfect ultimate new SENNHEISER HD 800 headphone.Great news for all.

Well then you've got it all wrong. Some people prefer the speed and smooth, airy sound of stats and their true to life midrange, while they lack detailed bass. Some people prefer the more overall detailed nature of dynamics and the impact they provide, although they aren't as fast. The HD800 is a nice balance of both and only in some systems will it excel in many areas above those, but it won't excel in all areas. Each has their niche and while the HD800 in the right system appears to be the top performer overall, there has never been one phone to rule them all and this one isn't any exception. It's just the best currently available headphone that performs well in all areas, but not the best in all.

Does that make sense?

Jun 4, 2009 at 8:53 AM Post #884 of 6,607
Quote:

Originally Posted by vvanrij /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Great impressions people, you provide a good read.

A question, why do people say that 'by very impressive and neutral sound you won't be wow'd at first'? All the people who heard the Orpheus are wow'd from the start as I recall? (a bit of generalisations there, but you get the point
wink.gif
)

Also I'm eagerly waiting for more comparisons to headphones in the same price range
biggrin.gif

I wasn't wowed by the HE90 but I'm not a stat man. I wasn't wowed initially by the HD800 either and I am a dynamic guy.

A stat man would be wowed by the HE90 or Jade while a dynamic guy would be wowed by the R10 or HD800, usually. But this doesn't always happen. I was wowed by the R10 on the right system! And you too will also be wowed by the HD800 on the right system, just as I was.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back