Sennheiser HD800 Appreciation Thread
Jun 1, 2009 at 8:43 PM Post #646 of 6,607
Quote:

Originally Posted by donlin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There is one area that seems pretty fragile and that is the exposed diaphragm around each of the drivers. Typically this is enclosed, but on the 800's is exposed on the outside. It feels like a very thin plastic that could easily be creased or punctured which I'm sure would affect the sound.

It's not plastic, it's a stainless steel mesh. I wouldn't try to puncture it if I were you
redface.gif
but you can touch it and it won't damage them. Just don't push it hard.

Jun 1, 2009 at 11:09 PM Post #647 of 6,607
I have been going back and forth between my HF-2 and HD800 today, listening to music on several amps while I burn them in more. They both have about 24 hours of burn-in as CanJam demo phones. I have a 4-pin XLR on the HD800 with a single ended and dual 3-pin balanced adapter out of APS V3 cable.

But right now I am mesmerized by my HD800 and can't go back to the HF-2. I am listening to the HD800 run balanced off my Single Power Square Wave XL, and they clearly respond well to being balanced. I just can't stop listening. The speed and detail and transparency is well above the HD600 which are more laid back and mellow. The HD800 are also quite good off my Woo WA6/Sophia Princess/Maxed with pseudo PSU, which is better with the HD800 than the Grahm Slee SOLO SRG (a very nice amp though). I can't stop listening balanced long enough to try them on the Amphora yet. I am really looking forward to getting my EC Zana Deux T in a few weeks, and trying the HD800 off the 4-pin XLR out.

These are the first dynamic headphone to give my electrostatics a run for their money, and the best dynamic that I have owned. These come the closest to my highly regarded ES3X custom IEM in sound quality and performance. Vs other dynamic headphones, my APS cabled HD600 (balanced and SE) are my second favorite, followed by my APS re-cabled RS-1, and then ESW10 and HF-2 tied. They remind me a bit of my Senn HE60 but with a more solid foundation to the soundstage, while the HE60's soundstage seems to float around the head up in the air, the HD800 have more of an organized and grounded headstage/soundstage.

In comparison to the HD800, my balanced woodied recabled D2000 sound closed, boxy, boomy and bright (which I still liked more than my re-cabled Edition 9 which I already sold to pay for the HD800). Now, if the modded D2000 are the first headphones that I put on for the day, then they do sound nice - rather it's in comparisons after getting acclimated to an open can where the modded D2000 fall behind.

Jun 1, 2009 at 11:38 PM Post #648 of 6,607
Quote:

Originally Posted by atothex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why would anyone bother trying it on some $200 POS? The number of amps that I would even consider with the HD800 is in the single digits.
regular_smile .gif

Who said I tried it on a $200 amp??? None of the vendor amps or member amps that I tried it on were under $1K. I'm not looking to downgrade from my Opera.

Jun 1, 2009 at 11:40 PM Post #649 of 6,607
Quote:

Originally Posted by Richter Di /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Off topic: The Symphony is clearly very different to the Opera comparing the amplifier. Higher resolution, more authority, no warmth at all. To my knowledge there were only issues when using the digital coax input (not the optical input) and simultaneously high switching impulses happened in the house power system.

And the Opera has problems where the DAC signal comes on locked occasionally and you have to turn the amp off and on again. While this isn't a major issue, it should not be present at all when you spend $1300 on an amp. Meier needs to test his amps more before releasing them, plain and simple.

Jun 1, 2009 at 11:46 PM Post #652 of 6,607
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif

These are the first dynamic headphone to give my electrostatics a run for their money, and the best dynamic that I have owned. These come the closest to my highly regarded ES3X custom IEM in sound quality and performance. Vs other dynamic headphones, my APS cabled HD600 (balanced and SE) are my second favorite, followed by my APS re-cabled RS-1, and then ESW10 and HF-2 tied.

I've gained a sudden appreciation for ESW10's, so this is good to hear about the HF-2's. The 717 is the best electrostatic amp I have here, so the HD-800s will really be up against my Lambda Nova Signatures, which are slightly less detailed than O2's, but easier to drive.

Quote:

In comparison to the HD800, my balanced woodied recabled D2000 sound closed, boxy, boomy and bright (which I still liked more than my re-cabled Edition 9 which I already sold to pay for the HD800). Now, if the modded D2000 are the first headphones that I put on for the day, then they do sound nice - rather it's in comparisons after getting acclimated to an open can where the modded D2000 fall behind.

I ended up selling my MD5000s for this reason. I suspect my HD-600s will go up as well after the HD-800s arrive.

Jun 2, 2009 at 12:20 AM Post #653 of 6,607
Just wanted to post some random thoughts.

1) There seems to be so many people who are looking for a reason to discredit them because they don't want to purchase them, can't afford them, etc. There seem to be a lot of people who say something like the following, "I'll be passing on these as it seems they can't compete with what i have now", or "they don't seem to be the king of headphones", or to the like. Honestly, that is a simple excuse to make you feel better about not purchasing them. If you can't afford them, or if you were never going to purchase them in the first place, then just leave it alone. Spamming this thread further with speculation isn't helping in my opinion. But maybe I'm wrong.

It's understandable as a lot of people are coming from the HD600/650 realm and for a lot of these people there MUST be justification for the extra $1000 they are spending. Sorry, but this hobby doesn't work like that. I can't think of a single headphone which a sane person(i.e. someone who is not in this hobby, lol) would argue is worth $1400. Once you get above $1000, you start to pay a premium unfortunately and worth becomes TOO subjective to even talk about. These headphones are not going to be worth $1000 more than the HD600 to the masses of this community.

2) I agree with the earlier said statement, that a good conventional headphone will be able to shine(by that I mean, at least sound good) regardless of the specific amp so long as it has the power that it deems necessary. Everything beyond that is preference, plain and simple. You don't need to listen to any headphone with 40 amps to determine that it is amp dependent or only good with a few amps. Such headphones should be thrown in the trash. I have heard "amp dependent" phones such as the K1000, HD650, L3000, HP1000, etc. with various amps and you can tell that each of them are very good with even the cheapest of amps that HAVE ample power to drive them.

3) To those who happily own them now. You don't have to convince everyone that they will love them and that they have to throw everything else away to get them. You only have one set of ears. You may love them and someone else may hate them. That is how this hobby works. No reason to argue with people who simply do not like them(even after using them with adequate gear). I think the L3000 is amazing, but can understand how someone can hate them as they will come off as dark to some people. From the looks of it, the HD800 may come off as too nuetral or lifeless to some people. That is okay, arguing over why they don't like them only makes you look like a fanboy, unfortunately.

I say all this as I plan to place an order at the end of next week.
smily_headphones1.gif
Take it or leave it. lol

Jun 2, 2009 at 12:30 AM Post #654 of 6,607
Quote:

Originally Posted by vai-777 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
name one better than Hysteria....just one.

Musically or sonically?

Actually, take your pick on both options.

Jun 2, 2009 at 12:42 AM Post #655 of 6,607
Thanks everyone for the HD800 impressions. I'm glad we all don't use/prefer the same phones, amps etc. - if we did there would probably be a lot more discussion about the weather.

I'll weigh in on the HD800/Grace 902 hopefully later this week when the HD800s arrive.

Jun 2, 2009 at 1:09 AM Post #656 of 6,607
Quote:

Originally Posted by number1sixerfan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's understandable as a lot of people are coming from the HD600/650 realm and for a lot of these people there MUST be justification for the extra $1000 they are spending. Sorry, but this hobby doesn't work like that. I can't think of a single headphone which a sane person(i.e. someone who is not in this hobby, lol) would argue is worth $1400. Once you get above $1000, you start to pay a premium unfortunately and worth becomes TOO subjective to even talk about. These headphones are not going to be worth $1000 more than the HD600 to the masses of this community.

You're certainly entitled to your opinion, but this is one of the more bizarre statements that I have read on Head-Fi in recent memory. Maybe this hobby doesn't work that way for you, which is really fine as far as that goes. But people make value judgments all the time, and cost-benefit is a relevant metric for most sensible people even if it is unimportant to you personally. It's just one factor among many that one might consider in making a buying decision. Another might be personal finances and disposable income. Yet another might be audio priorities. To someone who struggles to come up with enough cash to buy a pair of used HD600s the HD800s are fiscally out of reach.

I could easily afford to buy a pair of HD800s and a high end Stax setup right now if I really wanted them. I have yet to be persuaded that the financial outlay necessary to make these acquisitions is a worthwhile use of my money. In other words, it isn't yet worth it to me. Things, of course, change over time. I didn't see myself with a pair of Grado GS-1000s some months ago but now I have them. I also didn't expect to own a pair of AKG K1000s but I have a pair on the way. So anything is possible. It is not uncommon for people to re-evaluate value judgments.

--Jerome

Jun 2, 2009 at 1:19 AM Post #657 of 6,607
Interesting impressions so far. I can afford them but am just doing the wait and see. I was number 60'ish on the Headroom list before I canceled. I bought the Denon D7000 for another wood phone of my 20+ headphone collection. We can't assume everyone just can't afford these phones, some just make other decisions, cost choices.

Personally I can by them right now, even though I just upgraded my home office with $1200.00 worth of stereo integrated and speakers. Not what is in my avatar. I am a speaker man first.

To all that have posted, please continue positively and negatively. All impressions are welcomed, and don't be afraid of posting because of others. All ears hear differently.

Happy listening!

Jun 2, 2009 at 1:40 AM Post #658 of 6,607
Quote:

Originally Posted by jsaliga /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I could easily afford to buy a pair of HD800s and a high end Stax setup right now if I really wanted them. I have yet to be persuaded that the financial outlay necessary to make these acquisitions is a worthwhile use of my money. In other words, it isn't yet worth it to me. Things, of course, change over time. I didn't see myself with a pair of Grado GS-1000s some months ago but now I have them. I also didn't expect to own a pair of AKG K1000s but I have a pair on the way. So anything is possible. It is not uncommon for people re-evaluate value judgments.

Then allow me to suggest re-evaluating your GS1K by selling it and getting the high end Stax system.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 2, 2009 at 1:49 AM Post #660 of 6,607
Quote:

Originally Posted by jsaliga /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You're certainly entitled to your opinion, but this is one of the more bizarre statements that I have read on Head-Fi in recent memory. Maybe this hobby doesn't work that way for you, which is really fine as far as that goes. But people make value judgments all the time, and cost-benefit is a relevant metric for most sensible people even if it is unimportant to you personally. It's just one factor among many that one might consider in making a buying decision. Another might be personal finances and disposable income. Yet another might be audio priorities. To someone who struggles to come up with enough cash to buy a pair of used HD600s the HD800s are fiscally out of reach.

You are also entiltled to your opinion, but I also find your view "bizarre".

No, the hobby doesn't work like that for me(and many others). I am not looking for the best "value". I am looking for the best performing headphone I can find, regardless if I pay an extra $500, $1000, or $2000 for it.

There is no problem with looking for value, and I don't look down on people who look for cans that provide value. But what I do look down upon, is bad-mouthing a phone just because it is out of your "value range".

The HD800 is not meant to be a value phone. If you are looking for that, then please look at the HD600, HD650, K501, 325i, etc. Those will be a better fit, but don't blame the HD800 because it isn't three times as good as the HD650. That would be a simple misunderstanding of the hobby, as the higher you go up, the less value you get. So if you are in this hobby for "value", phones like the HD800, PS1000, R10, Qualia, etc, shouldn't even be considered.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back