Sennheiser HD800 Appreciation Thread
May 9, 2012 at 1:27 AM Post #3,965 of 6,607
This record sounds awesome with the HD 800. The panning of Billy Cobham on the right and John McLaughlin on the left with Miles in the center is quite something to behold. What great music, too!

update: Hearing John McLaughlin's wah-wah effects and Miles' lips rasping on Yesternow is something else. Amazing! 
smily_headphones1.gif

May 9, 2012 at 2:19 AM Post #3,966 of 6,607
I'm pretty much sold on the HD 800 now - they are amazing. Something seems to changed in how I'm hearing them - Sub-par recordings sound better on the HD 800 than they do on the LCD-2. Perhaps it's because the HD 800 don't hide anything.

Now I'm just thinking of getting something more forgiving and still neutral such as  HD 600 incase I encounter and want to listen to any recordings that sound uncomfortable on the HD 800 e.g. harshly bright. I can probably keep the LCD-2, but something about the HD 600 is calling to me in a way that seems really right to me. What do you guys and gals think?

May 9, 2012 at 2:45 AM Post #3,967 of 6,607
You'll regret the quality downgrade. Stick to the lcd-2's / hd800.

There really is quite the distance between them. HD 800 is the only dynamic driver worth considering. Everything else is poo.

Other than hd800-go planar sound wave.

Long version:

(as hd800 mimics planar sound wave). There are a number of reasons why the hd 800 is good and that's because it has a lot of engineering behind it. I want HD 800 (two) now. Perhaps when Sennheiser reaches 20,000 800's they will think about it.

Right now I'm enjoying it, but want to see what HD 800-two will look like. Will probably be a while though while Sennheiser needs to milk their current dynamic beast (it really is a monster). BUT, it will be intriguing to see what they can really do with a dynamic driver as HD 800 opened up the door to many a reality that few (if anyone) thought possible from a traditional dynamic.

Looking forward to seeing technology - and engineering - at its finest in HD 800-two. Again, likely will be awhile before they do that, at least publicly. As Their goal is probably 30,000 + HD 800 sold before they release the new model. (For all we know it won't (dynamic drivers) get a second try until 40,000.)

Planar is king, specifically stat.

But with what hd 800 can do, you have to wonder how much further or if anything more could possibly be done with dynamics. It sounds like a LOT of fun! Designing the best possible (strictly dynamic) headphone you can make in the world!

May 9, 2012 at 5:03 AM Post #3,968 of 6,607
Listening to my rev.2 for the first time since acquiring the HD800. The sense of transparency is diminished and the LCD-2's renowned low end, while having great presence, now appears a touch overweight and slow. The lack of treble extension and "air" within the presentation is glaring. Sure there's depth and some width, but it feels like the ceiling has collapsed and there's no vertical space. Despite these comparative deficiencies I am really enjoying the presentation. Eric Clapton Unplugged sounds freaking RAD.

May 9, 2012 at 5:21 AM Post #3,970 of 6,607
Quote:
yeah, i totally appreciate the HD800, but not so much the price. as good as they are. the price is outrageous. whatever you put inside it it just shouldn;t cost this much. freaking overpriced high-end stuff

Why is it overpriced?

It has a totally new, patented, driver that is unique.

The headphones are innovative and have three patents.

They took several years to design and bring to market.

The sound quality is streets ahead of other headphones.

Sennheiser have to recoup all the money they spent on R&D and the HD 800 is certainly worth the price - so I say it's not overpriced.

Of course we would all like them to be cheaper - but they are certainly worth the asking price.

May 9, 2012 at 6:02 AM Post #3,971 of 6,607
Quote:
If anyone thinks taking the HD800 up a notch is expensive, try the 009.

True, but the 4x cost of the 009 setup is to far to go for such a small difference to me maybe not for some which is great for them.  The price increase for that "notch" is just to far for me to go.  I still like playing around the edges of the top end I guess.  I am soon getting a Westone ES5 to go with my HD800 for on the go listening.

May 9, 2012 at 11:07 AM Post #3,972 of 6,607
Quote:
True, but the 4x cost of the 009 setup is to far to go for such a small difference to me maybe not for some which is great for them.  The price increase for that "notch" is just to far for me to go.  I still like playing around the edges of the top end I guess.  I am soon getting a Westone ES5 to go with my HD800 for on the go listening.

Agreed.  Just to be clear, you realize the ES5 is closer to ortho sound than HD800.  Just want to make sure before you drop your bones.  I love both.

May 9, 2012 at 2:56 PM Post #3,973 of 6,607
The HD 800 isn't sounding bright to me anymore (just clear) and I'm tempted to remove the anaxilus mod to see how it sounds.

May 9, 2012 at 3:08 PM Post #3,975 of 6,607
Quote:
If anyone thinks taking the HD800 up a notch is expensive, try the 009.

Unless one is looking at a Millet/TTVJ Pinnacle. Not that I am of course, but the option exists. In the mean time I'm thinking a PX25 or 307A Balancing Act should be a good upgrade to my Arete/Volcano.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back