Sennheiser HD800 Appreciation Thread
May 30, 2009 at 10:53 PM Post #346 of 6,607
No in depth sonic impressions from me just yet, but I just wanted to say that the HD800s are really opening up and the bass is simply getting better and better. My initial impressions, specifically with regards to the bass, may have been a bit premature, but that's what you get with initial impressions after all. I cued up some live Radiohead shows I have archived in FLAC and that lack of bass guitar hitting hard I mentioned earlier was completely demystified. The tone and weight were definitely there. These things are clearly source and track dependent.

I only spent about an hour with them this afternoon, but I was up until some time between 3-4AM this morning just jamming away! I just couldn't get enough and couldn't force myself to take them off and go to bed. I felt like Tyll looked in that one video of him in his office where he was closing his eyes and getting lost in the music. Granted I had two glasses of wine with dinner and a few beers after that but I was having a damn good time and singing out loud!

May 30, 2009 at 11:02 PM Post #347 of 6,607
S/N 305 here, received from Music Direct yesterday and ordered the day before.

Amps tried so far: Lehmann Black Cube Linear; Millett MiniMAX
Source: Apple Lossless or FLAC --> Squeezebox --> PS Audio DL3 or Mhdt Paradisea+

My reference: Stax O2 MkI and O2 MKII with SRM-717 and SRM-007tA

Very early comments since I haven't had that much listening time.

I think A.Thorsen summed it up pretty well. Compared to the Stax, the HD800 is a bit more forward which will please those who think the O2 is a bit too laid back. Resolution seems close to Stax levels. As a matter of fact, I heard a resonance that I though was the HD800 when playing Wishbone Ash Argus. I listened to the same track on the Stax and it turned out to be the recording. So, the HD800 may be a bit more analytical than the Stax.

Frequency balance, soundstage width and comfort are all first-rate. I couldn't be happier at this point and this is the best dynamic phone I have heard though, as others have pointed out, time may change these first impressions.
wink_face.gif

May 30, 2009 at 11:03 PM Post #348 of 6,607
Quote:

Originally Posted by subtle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No in depth sonic impressions from me just yet, but I just wanted to say that the HD800s are really opening up and the bass is simply getting better and better. My initial impressions, specifically with regards to the bass, may have been a bit premature, but that's what you get with initial impressions after all. I cued up some live Radiohead shows I have archived in FLAC and that lack of bass guitar hitting hard I mentioned earlier was completely demystified. The tone and weight were definitely there. These things are clearly source and track dependent.

I only spent about an hour with them this afternoon, but I was up until some time between 3-4AM this morning just jamming away! I just couldn't get enough and couldn't force myself to take them off and go to bed. I felt like Tyll looked in that one video of him in his office where he was closing his eyes and getting lost in the music. Granted I had two glasses of wine with dinner and a few beers after that but I was having a damn good time and singing out loud!

That's what it's all about man! I too am holding off for now. I have been doing some major listening though, going back and forth from the HD600 with Equinox, to the HD800 and I will say this, the HD600 (that's six hundred) is a damn fine headphone and holds it's own. Now, it may be that my WA3 with top notch tubes just isn't quite enough to push the HD800 to its potential, however they have amazing detail and soundstage. Back later. Oh, also sounding pretty damn good with the Gilmore Lite. Tubes win though!

May 30, 2009 at 11:16 PM Post #349 of 6,607
Quote:

Originally Posted by pearljam5000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh my god,all negative impressions...

i can't find any negativity here in L.A
smily_headphones1.gif

we're having a blast here and the HD 800 chatter is fun. expect all of the real impressions to come in the next few weeks when everyone has had a chance to get accustomed to the warm water.

long live opinions!!

long live opinions!!

long live opinions!!

May 30, 2009 at 11:20 PM Post #351 of 6,607
Well, to me they are sounding really good with the WA3 with NOS Telefunken matched pair 6DJ8s and a NOS Western Electric 421A. This compared to the very capable Gilmore Lite.

May 30, 2009 at 11:21 PM Post #352 of 6,607
Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok, maybe that post sounded harsh. I know I need to give them more time to get used to them. They are very different than anything I've ever listened to, and that's why I'm glad I'm going to CanJam, so I can listen to all different flavors.

I apologize for that post, but honestly, they just sound lifeless to me. They sound like they are missing so much in every area of the spectrum. I know 30 minutes isn't enough to evaluate them, but it is enough to get a feel for them. I need to spend lots of time with them and that is time I don't have now, since as it is I probably won't get to the hotel tonight until midnight.

The D5000 and K702 sound much more alike than the HD800 does to either. The HD800 is just in another ballpark, and it's one I'm not used to. It just doesn't sound right to me.

its OK everyone is entitled to their opinion! the headphones don't have to like you either
wink.gif

May 30, 2009 at 11:24 PM Post #353 of 6,607
Quote:

Originally Posted by powertoold /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hay guys, the prototypes were different than the production models.

the acoustics, dimensions and fit are all the same. we made some adjustments for durability and product integrity.

May 30, 2009 at 11:27 PM Post #354 of 6,607
Quote:

Originally Posted by subtle /img/forum/go_quote.gif

big time track dependent...if the recording is not up to par...the 800 will let you know....BIG TIME. This is not a heaphone that masks poor quality recordings....in fact it makes poor quality recording sound worse....revealing all the detail or lack there of.....

May 30, 2009 at 11:29 PM Post #355 of 6,607
Quote:

Originally Posted by vai-777 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
big time track dependent...if the recording is not up to par...the 800 will let you know....BIG TIME. This is not a heaphone that masks poor quality recordings....in fact it makes poor quality recording sound worse....revealing all the detail or lack there of.....

Agreed, and that's what I expect from high quality equipment: Garbage in, garbage out whether it's audio or video.

May 30, 2009 at 11:35 PM Post #356 of 6,607
Just reading through this thread and a couple of the others, and I'm wondering: can anyone explain to me what exactly makes this headphone worth $1400?
confused.gif

No offense to anyone who has them and likes them -- that's what it's all about -- but reading between the lines I'm just not seeing it. It seems to be a pretty nice headphone **IF** you like the sound, albeit perhaps overpriced, but otherwise more of a giant marketing coup than anything else. Is it really $500-1000 "better" than other mid to high-end headphones, or is it all just hype?

And wow, no offense again, but it sure is funky looking for $1400.
redface.gif
I'm sure they don't sound *bad,* but I'm just not getting the huge price tag on these. It seems way out of proportion to the actual merits of the headphone, whatever those might be.

May 30, 2009 at 11:35 PM Post #357 of 6,607
Ive heard all sorts of stuff on recording I once thought to be ok...tape hiss, distortion...clicks...you name ot...if it's on the track these phones will bring it to your ears...for better or worse. So much for almost every rock / pop recording post 1997 or so......

May 30, 2009 at 11:40 PM Post #358 of 6,607
Quote:

Originally Posted by userlander /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just reading through this thread and a couple of the others, and I'm wondering: can anyone explain to me what exactly makes this headphone worth $1400?
confused.gif

If it compares favorably to the O2 mk1, then $1400 sounds about right.

May 30, 2009 at 11:41 PM Post #359 of 6,607
Quote:

Originally Posted by vai-777 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
big time track dependent...if the recording is not up to par...the 800 will let you know....BIG TIME. This is not a headphone that masks poor quality recordings....in fact it makes poor quality recording sound worse....revealing all the detail or lack there of.....

Which is why I'm using them for editing master CDs.

May 30, 2009 at 11:42 PM Post #360 of 6,607
Quote:

Originally Posted by madmax7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Now, it may be that my WA3 with top notch tubes just isn't quite enough to push the HD800 to its potential, however they have amazing detail and soundstage.

I am considering the HD800. However now, I am having serious doubts about the ability of my MAD Ear+HD purist to drive these to their potential.
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back