Sennheiser HD700 vs. Aeon X?
Mar 12, 2022 at 10:02 PM Post #16 of 16
So I've been looking for a pair of open-back headphones with good soundstage, ok sub-bass extension, great imaging, and above all - comfort to allow for multi-hour listening. Also, I listen to mainly the following genres: R&B, rap/hip-hop, pop, EDM, jazz, and (sometimes) orchestral scores. I've narrowed it down to the Aeon X's by Dan Clark Audio (available on Drop) and the Sennheiser HD700's (which I'd buy second-hand as they're discontinued). I know the HD700's get a bad rep due to the treble peak and somewhat low sub-bass but I can just EQ them. I also should mention that I'll be using a Schitt Vali 2 hybrid tube amp, and finding some ultra-warm tubes for use (recommendations for which tubes are welcome).

What do people think I should go for, between these 2 choices?
I've had both. The HD700 with the $15 Modhouse foam kit is really fun, and the most comfortable headphone I've ever worn with stock pads. The Dan Clark Aeon closed was ok but not worth that kind of money. I tried the different foam tuning pads and just didn't feel it was a good value.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back