Sennheiser HD660S... Finally a successor for the HD650?
Jan 22, 2022 at 2:07 PM Post #8,056 of 9,621
I had and sold the HD6XX's and HD600's twice. I tried a MULTITUDE of amps and never liked them. I would try for a couple of weeks with a new set or a new headphone and go, "Wow, they're awesome!" And then a month later I never want to wear them at all. Over and over.

I thought the 660's were a different, better beast, but they're not. I use them for one day, maybe two, and them I am thinking of the Grado's, or the Elex's, or the Cascades, or the LSA HP-2's or anything besides the 660's.

The 600 needs a good silver plated cable and the 660s works really well with a copper cable upgrade. The stock cables contribute to the boring feeling setting in greatly in my estimation. The 600 in particular after the Silver dragon cable became an entirely different beast. I have the Blue dragon on the 660s.

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2022 at 2:28 PM Post #8,057 of 9,621
As my journey goes on I find that Sennheiser and Audeze are awful, in my ears.
And the same for Beyer. For years they were ear piercingly bright and now the T5's are the darkest headphones I have ever owned.:unamused:

I do love the Grado sound, although there are exceptions. Focals are another favourite. And now I would add Kennerton to that group.

Of course there are singles that jump out, but I like the above companies house sounds.

Of course we all hear differently. I bet that if you asked 100 Head-Fiers to write a top ten list you would likely not have one duplicate list. The fun of our hobby.:L3000:
The new T1 is even darker and warmer than the new T5. I personally love darker and warmer Beyers, the new T1 Gen 3 and T5 Gen 3 are some of my favorite headphones. Something about the Tesla drivers just agree with my ears, even the brighter ones. With the Senns it's always been the subtleties of sound that put me off more so than FR tuning, I like the general tuning of the Senns. I ended up settling on the R70X instead of the HD 6xx series. There are things the Senn HD 660 S, etc. do better than the R70X but I reached for the R70X more.

The Focal sound reminded me of the Beyer DT 48/480 sound in many ways. I like the Focal sound but need to hear some of their newer stuff, only heard the Elear and Utopia. I haven't heard many Grado's but liked what I heard, comfort is why I never really bothered with Grado's. Interestingly found I'm very fond of the Audio Technica sound given I find one that isn't overly bright. Also really like the AKG sound before they become a different company basically. Never heard a Kennerton headphone, been wanting to.

Very true about that, the top lists on many Head-fiers will be very different. That's why finding ones own taste in sound is important, I think a lot of newer head-fier's don't realize how much of a rabbit hole this hobby can be.

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2022 at 3:45 PM Post #8,058 of 9,621
It's funny, as I listen to more headphones from different brands, personally I'm at a place where I'm like "no one knows how to tune a damn headphone besides Sennheiser" lol. Most everything else I've tried just sounds artificial in comparison- that goes for the Sundara I currently own too.

To each their own I suppose.

I think some of the Sennheiser discontent is due to amp matching...or mismatching. A warmish sounding DAC on top of that is going to give you warmth overload.

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2022 at 7:48 PM Post #8,059 of 9,621
As my journey goes on I find that Sennheiser and Audeze are awful, in my ears.
And the same for Beyer. For years they were ear piercingly bright and now the T5's are the darkest headphones I have ever owned.:unamused:

I do love the Grado sound, although there are exceptions. Focals are another favourite. And now I would add Kennerton to that group.

Of course there are singles that jump out, but I like the above companies house sounds.

Of course we all hear differently. I bet that if you asked 100 Head-Fiers to write a top ten list you would likely not have one duplicate list. The fun of our hobby.:L3000:

I like my HD6xx and HD660S headphones but I'm thinking about adding a set of Grado's to my collection. What is it about the Grado sound you prefer? Which Grado's would fall in the "like" category for you (or which are the exceptions)?

Jan 30, 2022 at 7:57 PM Post #8,060 of 9,621
I like my HD6xx and HD660S headphones but I'm thinking about adding a set of Grado's to my collection. What is it about the Grado sound you prefer? Which Grado's would fall in the "like" category for you (or which are the exceptions)?
I love my GH2's, but they were a limited edition.
I hear the Hemps are a very nice headphone and have even thought about grabbing them for myself.

They are currently revamping their whole collection and call them the X series and they have new drivers.
The RS1x, RS2x and the Prestige series are getting very nice reviews.

The bonus with Grado is that they have tons of dealers and hopefully you can check them out at a nearby shop.

Jan 30, 2022 at 9:39 PM Post #8,061 of 9,621
I have both the 6xx and 660s. I also have a number of Grado's. SR80 up to RS1e and RS1x. I recommend that you consider the Hemp or the 325x. There is great clarity with both these HP's. Good sound stage (not HD800 wide, but noticeably wide). Bass is decent but doesn't satisfy everyone. The upper mids and highs are sparkly. Some people who may be sensitive to high frequencies, may not be a candidate for Grados. The 2 I've recommended are both 50 mm units using Grado's newest drivers. Good luck!

Jan 31, 2022 at 9:53 PM Post #8,063 of 9,621
Thanks @Luckyleo and @Shane D, seems that from a tone response perspective you like the Grado's emphasis in the higher frequencies. You also find the Grado more resolving?

I have been eyeing the RS1X but maybe the Hemp or 325X are a better entry point.
What I like with Grado's are the outstanding mids. Some of their headphones can also be annoyingling bright.

Several years ago, I started out with the SR325e's. I really liked the sound, but they were pretty bright. Lots of treble. I then tried the PS500e's. The brightness was gone, but so was the fun.

Then I stepped up to the GH2 and everything was perfect, although they are a little bass light. They truly love the bass boost of my iFi amp. I don't find them bright, but some might.

I have been thinking about the GS and PS lines for a long time, but they are too pricey for me.

I have been hearing that the newer models are a little more balanced, but you can't expect much bass from a Grado. But the vocals and guitars are AMAZING!

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2022 at 9:12 AM Post #8,064 of 9,621
What I like with Grado's are the outstanding mids. Some of their headphones can also be annoyingling bright.

Several years ago, I started out with the SR325e's. I really liked the sound, but they were pretty bright. Lots of treble. I then tried the PS500e's. The brightness was gone, but so was the fun.

Then I stepped up to the GH2 and everything was perfect, although they are a little bass light. They truly love the bass boost of my iFi amp. I don't find them bright, but some might.

I have been thinking about the GS and PS lines for a long time, but they are too pricey for me.

I have been hearing that the newer models are a little more balanced, but you can't expect much bass from a Grado. But the vocals and guitars are AMAZING!
@erich6. I agree with Shane regarding his thoughts regarding the 325e. I also owned them, but wasn't a fan. The new 325x seems to have addressed some of the downsides of the "e". Personally, given that you are new to the Grado "lifestyle", I would recommend the 325x as your entry point. Much cheaper than RS1x (and no wood :frowning2: ) but you get the Grado house sound. IMHO. YMMV. LOL. Good luck

Feb 6, 2022 at 3:27 PM Post #8,066 of 9,621
Well I sold my HD660's yesterday. It took six pairs of Sennheisers before I figured out that the Sennheiser sound signature is just not for me. After four plus years of trying. Yes, he is a little slow to learn.:ksc75smile:

Feb 10, 2022 at 10:44 AM Post #8,068 of 9,621
I sold my pair of 660s too. I just think they get exposed on higher end amplification by both the 600 and 650, particularly the 600.

Feb 11, 2022 at 6:17 PM Post #8,069 of 9,621
Watching this thread always gives me a smile on my face. I've demoed the HD660 more the once, and it always falls flat compared to my HD650.

Here's why:
I listen alot to "Symphonic metal". Think of evanescence and within temptation.

On the HD660 the vocals on females just sound distant, best way would be to say the lose presence. Sure, soundstage/imaging just a tad better... But there are alot of headphones that outclass a HD600/650/660 when it comes to soundstage and imaging.

With the HD650, the vocals are much more isolated, and that's what I want.

If you don't like symphonic metal, the just listen to London Grammer - Californian Soil.

ps. It's a great song to judge bass, vocals and soundstage :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back