Sennheiser HD660S... Finally a successor for the HD650?
Jan 21, 2022 at 11:40 PM Post #8,041 of 9,628
Like all Sennheisers, I find them flat and boring. I guess audiophiles would call it neutral and transparent.

I like warmish amps and fun headphones. I kept the HD660's around as a type of palate cleanser. After about a year I just decided to move them on. But I guess not right now.:ksc75smile:
That's how I feel about Sennheisers too. They never really had that toe tapping factor to me, especially the HD 600, which is the most dull of the HD 6xx line imho. The HD 660 S is less boring than others for me but it had a different problem for me interestingly enough, fatigue.

Jan 21, 2022 at 11:52 PM Post #8,043 of 9,628
That's how I feel about Sennheisers too. They never really had that toe tapping factor to me, especially the HD 600, which is the most dull of the HD 6xx line imho. The HD 660 S is less boring than others for me but it had a different problem for me interestingly enough, fatigue.
I had and sold the HD6XX's and HD600's twice. I tried a MULTITUDE of amps and never liked them. I would try for a couple of weeks with a new set or a new headphone and go, "Wow, they're awesome!" And then a month later I never want to wear them at all. Over and over.

I thought the 660's were a different, better beast, but they're not. I use them for one day, maybe two, and them I am thinking of the Grado's, or the Elex's, or the Cascades, or the LSA HP-2's or anything besides the 660's.

Jan 21, 2022 at 11:55 PM Post #8,044 of 9,628
I had and sold the HD6XX's and HD600's twice. I tried a MULTITUDE of amps and never liked them. I would try for a couple of weeks with a new set or a new headphone and go, "Wow, they're awesome!" And then a month later I never want to wear them at all. Over and over.

I thought the 660's were a different, better beast, but they're not. I use them for one day, maybe two, and them I am thinking of the Grado's, or the Elex's, or the Cascades, or the LSA HP-2's or anything besides the 660's.

That's the way I was with the 6XX/650. I had multiple pairs too. I also had multiple pairs of 660s, which I no longer have, but I liked them better than the 650's. I've only had one pair of 600's and I still have them. I think I might try one more pair of 660's since I've made a few changes to my setup.

Jan 21, 2022 at 11:58 PM Post #8,045 of 9,628
That's the way I was with the 6XX/650. I had multiple pairs too. I also had multiple pairs of 660s, which I no longer have, but I liked them better than the 650's. I've only had one pair of 600's and I still have them. I think I might try one more pair of 660's since I've made a few changes to my setup.
It is like a carousel we just can't get off of.:wink:

I can promise this though: I will NEVER buy another set of Sennheiser anything.

Jan 22, 2022 at 12:06 AM Post #8,047 of 9,628

Same here, it's why I gave up on them. I like laid-back headphones but they never had that special something that keeps me listening to a headphone long-term, it's not like the T1 (gen 2 and gen 3) or Amiron Homes which I liked more the longer I owned them. Once the initial love of the Senns wears off, I don't want to listen to them anymore either, it's always like a month or two ownership.

While I find the HD 600 the most boring it didn't have that initial love factor of the HD 6XX/650 that grew into dislike, something about the HD 650 made me dislike it the longer I owned it despite liking it at first. The HD 600 is a good listening to music while working headphone, but I never disliked them despite them being boring, but also never loved them.

The HD 660 S almost seemed like a different beast but it ended up not being for me either, I noticed I was growing bored of it over time just like the HD 650. I only found the vintage Sennheisers to be a different beast, found those more engaging, but finding one in good condition can be a bit trickier.

Tried the HD 560 S, I liked it even less than any of the HD 6xx series.

Jan 22, 2022 at 10:53 AM Post #8,048 of 9,628
Like all Sennheisers, I find them flat and boring. I guess audiophiles would call it neutral and transparent.

I like warmish amps and fun headphones. I kept the HD660's around as a type of palate cleanser. After about a year I just decided to move them on. But I guess not right now.:ksc75smile:
Try them with the Dekoni fenestrated sheepskin.

Jan 22, 2022 at 11:20 AM Post #8,049 of 9,628
Interesting discussion. I don't think I've ever had more "toe-tapping" moments with another headphone than I've had with the 6xx & 660s. Another example of how we all hear things differently.

Jan 22, 2022 at 11:23 AM Post #8,050 of 9,628
Try them with the Dekoni fenestrated sheepskin.
Thanks for the thought, but I have poured enough money into the Sennheiser brand. I will not change pads on the Sennheisers or EQ the Audeze headphones.

It works or it doesn't.

Jan 22, 2022 at 1:10 PM Post #8,051 of 9,628
Thanks for the thought, but I have poured enough money into the Sennheiser brand. I will not change pads on the Sennheisers or EQ the Audeze headphones.

It works or it doesn't.
It really takes u a lot of money and time to find out that Sennheiser ( all of them ) are not for u.
I get u ,the shame happened to me when I was searching for a PC mouse , I had to buy and try a lot of them because I had no idea about them and didn't know what I liked.

Jan 22, 2022 at 1:14 PM Post #8,052 of 9,628
Interesting discussion. I don't think I've ever had more "toe-tapping" moments with another headphone than I've had with the 6xx & 660s. Another example of how we all hear things differently.
It's all about taste that's for sure. Over all I like the signature of HD6 line but some times I want something else ,so I understand all of people saying I like more treble happy or smoother sound.

Jan 22, 2022 at 1:17 PM Post #8,053 of 9,628
I find the 650's the champion of dull in the 6 line. I don't get any dullness from my 600's. Sometimes I actually find them too bright. I'm thinking about getting another pair of 660's. But I'm not paying fool price for them.
I agree the 650 compared to the others it sounds to me more dull ( in a good way for me) .

Jan 22, 2022 at 1:35 PM Post #8,054 of 9,628
It's funny, as I listen to more headphones from different brands, personally I'm at a place where I'm like "no one knows how to tune a damn headphone besides Sennheiser" lol. Most everything else I've tried just sounds artificial in comparison- that goes for the Sundara I currently own too.

To each their own I suppose.

Jan 22, 2022 at 1:58 PM Post #8,055 of 9,628
It's funny, as I listen to more headphones from different brands, personally I'm at a place where I'm like "no one knows how to tune a damn headphone besides Sennheiser" lol. Most everything else I've tried just sounds artificial in comparison- that goes for the Sundara I currently own too.

To each their own I suppose.
As my journey goes on I find that Sennheiser and Audeze are awful, in my ears.
And the same for Beyer. For years they were ear piercingly bright and now the T5's are the darkest headphones I have ever owned.:unamused:

I do love the Grado sound, although there are exceptions. Focals are another favourite. And now I would add Kennerton to that group.

Of course there are singles that jump out, but I like the above companies house sounds.

Of course we all hear differently. I bet that if you asked 100 Head-Fiers to write a top ten list you would likely not have one duplicate list. The fun of our hobby.:L3000:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back