Sennheiser HD660S... Finally a successor for the HD650?
Oct 30, 2020 at 1:39 AM Post #6,676 of 9,621
Can i ask ? How did u get a new pair of HD660s without a warranty? I thought only used ones over 2 years doesnt have warranty.
Bought it from a guy who had 4 pairs all brand new. Didn't really ask where he got them from. If something goes wrong I don't really have a receipt for Sennheiser lmao. Let's just say I bought them used but brand new

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2020 at 11:23 AM Post #6,679 of 9,621
I ordered the 660S and the 6XX. I will only keep one but we will see once they arrive.

I regret selling off my 660s and replaced them with a pair of 6XX.
I’m pretty sure I enjoyed the 660s more but they’re close.
What are you driving them with?

Looking forward to your findings as I’m also curious about the ear pads.
I’m not sure if it’s the clamp of the 6XX but I remember the 660s being more comfy and perhaps with a slightly deeper pad. I bought both new.

Nov 2, 2020 at 11:32 AM Post #6,680 of 9,621
I regret selling off my 660s and replaced them with a pair of 6XX.
I’m pretty sure I enjoyed the 660s more but they’re close.
What are you driving them with?

I’m not sure if it’s the clamp of the 6XX but I remember the 660s being more comfy and perhaps with a slightly deeper pad. I bought both new.
I will be running them with the Fiio K5 Pro. I will definitely post my findings.
Why do you regret selling your 660s? Did you compare them back to back?

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2020 at 11:39 AM Post #6,681 of 9,621
I will be running them with the Fiio K5 Pro. I will definitely post my findings.
Why do you regret selling your 660s? Did you compare them back to back?

Didn’t get to compare them as I sold the 660s to fund other headphones but I missed the sound so I just went for the 6XX.

They were also my first audiophile headphone too.

Plus it’s always nice to hear it for yourself and then decide which one suits you.

Nov 2, 2020 at 11:49 AM Post #6,682 of 9,621
Okay, I ordered a set of 660s last night, should be here Thursday. Planning to use them with my M11P, as well as my turntable/Little Dot III vinyl setup.

So far, my main headphones for the M11P have been the AT MSR7b, and for my turntable it's been a Grado 325i & Little Dot 1+. (I've been mostly a Grado+vinyl guy for the past ten years, but recently returned to digital with the M11P.) I have owned the 650 in the past, which I loved at the time but sold to fund a guitar purchase, and then went all-Grado for a number of years.

Anyway, really looking foward to the 660s and wondering if they'll replace my MSR7b and 325i...

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2020 at 12:46 PM Post #6,683 of 9,621

The actual pads are the same, but maybe the driver is located farther back in the enclosure on the 660S? (Sennheiser’s spare parts article number for the pads is the same for both the 650 and 660S; 050635)

Nov 2, 2020 at 1:42 PM Post #6,684 of 9,621
I spent about two days comparing my HD660's and HD600's.
I went back and forth on my two main amps:
1) Monoprice Liquid Platinum via balanced
And
2) Violectric HPA V220 via SE

It was pretty close, but I find that the 660's have a bit more detail and a touch more bass. I volume matched on the amps pretty closely.

These HD660's continue to impress me the more I use them. It looks they are in the "keeper" category for the long term. :L3000:

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2020 at 2:22 PM Post #6,685 of 9,621
Okay, I ordered a set of 660s last night, should be here Thursday. Planning to use them with my M11P, as well as my turntable/Little Dot III vinyl setup.

So far, my main headphones for the M11P have been the AT MSR7b, and for my turntable it's been a Grado 325i & Little Dot 1+. (I've been mostly a Grado+vinyl guy for the past ten years, but recently returned to digital with the M11P.) I have owned the 650 in the past, which I loved at the time but sold to fund a guitar purchase, and then went all-Grado for a number of years.

Anyway, really looking foward to the 660s and wondering if they'll replace my MSR7b and 325i...

So I just watched Tyll Herstens' YouTube review of the 660... was almost reaching for the "cancel" button on my Amazon order... :beyersmile:

But digging a little deeper, I see he hates Grados, of which I'm a huge fan. It's funny, watching his review and listening to his main criticisms of the 660, I was thinking "I'll bet he's not a Grado lover..." and it was true.

So, I may love the 660 for the same reasons he doesn't. I also don't have a lot of experience with the 600/650 and can listen to the 660 on their own accord, and not through a framework of love/reverence for their beloved predecessors.

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2020 at 2:25 PM Post #6,686 of 9,621
Okay, so I just watched Tyll Herstens' YouTube review of the 660... was almost reaching for the "cancel" button on my Amazon order... :beyersmile:

But digging a little deeper, I see he hates Grados, of which I'm a huge fan It's funny, watching his review and listening to his main criticisms of the 660, I was thinking "I'll bet he's not a Grado lover..." and it was true.

So, I may love the 660 for the same reasons he doesn't. I also don't have a lot of experience with the 600/650 and can listen to the 660 on their own accord, and not through a framework of love/reverence for their beloved predecessors.
I think his biggest issue was this being a replacement to the 600 and 650 which never happened.

Nov 2, 2020 at 2:45 PM Post #6,687 of 9,621
I really enjoy my 660's, especially with new Sennheiser pads. But I highly recommend also getting the Dekoni Elite Fenestrated... Makes them sound less relaxed and a bit more like the Amiron Home. Great for energetic music as they sound more exciting. It's really nice to switch between the pads every few days, for the price of some extra pads it's like having two great headphones in one.

Nov 4, 2020 at 6:04 AM Post #6,689 of 9,621
Since they work well with my Samsung A8, they should be good with the LG V40 too.

I don't use them with my phone though, as with the original cable and the adapter it's a bit too long and bulky. I also have a phone case that won't take a larger plug. You might consider a shorter cable with a 3.5mm jack if you plan to use them with the phone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back