Sennheiser HD660S... Finally a successor for the HD650?
Oct 28, 2020 at 11:14 AM Post #6,647 of 9,628
Yes...like them both as well but for different tasks.

I use the 650 on shuffle and the 660S or the Clear or the Amiron Home when I'm actively listening (choosing songs).
If you could only have the 650 or the 660S which would you choose and why?

Oct 28, 2020 at 12:42 PM Post #6,648 of 9,628
Probably not a helpful answer...but the 650 is the only set of cans that I've gotten rid of and then repurchased (as a 6XX)...so it'd be the 650/6XX.

It's role in my collection (shuffle all songs...sit back & enjoy) garners it more listening time than the other cans I own. To my ears, it's just natural/organic and it also plays well with poorly mastered/recorded music.

While I do own a variety of other headphones and enjoy them when I listen to them, they require more work to choose genres/songs/etc. However, that effort pays off for those listening sessions when I take the time to do it.

Oct 28, 2020 at 1:19 PM Post #6,649 of 9,628

I have the HD660's and the HD600's. My choice would be easy: HD660's.

I had the HD600's back in the spring and was not impressed with them over several amps. I found them kind of flat and boring. When I tried them out on my tube amp, I was finally impressed. I did end up selling them on as they seemed like a one trick pony to me.

In the summer I bought the HD660's. I bought these because I heard they were similar to the HD58X's, minus the bass boost. I tried them and thought they were okay, but I was not overly impressed at first. But the more I put them on, the more I enjoyed them. It took me quite a while to figure out why. My favourite headphones at the time (and still are) were my Grado GH2's, Focal Elex's and HiFiman Sundara's. All of which have their own colour and flavour. The HD660's, to me, do not have any special flavour or colour. It is a jarring difference from the other headphones and it took me a while to figure out that was a good thing. For a guy obsessed with variety, they are a breath of fresh air. I wouldn't want them as my only headphone, but I do now love them.

Back to the HD600's. Since I bought that tube amp back in the spring I have bought two amps that have stolen its thunder. I decided to buy the Beyer DT880's (600 Ohm) and re-buy the HD600's to give my tube amp a fighting chance to stay.
(Which is kind of weird as I had bought an a low impedance tube amp to match with my Grado's.)

Once I plugged the HD600's into the tube amp they were nice. When I plugged them into my Violectric V220, they Really came alive and for the time ever I was VERY impressed with the HD600's.

My choice is still the HD660's though.

Oct 28, 2020 at 2:31 PM Post #6,650 of 9,628

I had the HD600's back in the spring and was not impressed with them over several amps. I found them kind of flat and boring. When I tried them out on my tube amp, I was finally impressed. I did end up selling them on as they seemed like a one trick pony to me.

In the summer I bought the HD660's. I bought these because I heard they were similar to the HD58X's, minus the bass boost. I tried them and thought they were okay, but I was not overly impressed at first. But the more I put them on, the more I enjoyed them. It took me quite a while to figure out why. My favourite headphones at the time (and still are) were my Grado GH2's, Focal Elex's and HiFiman Sundara's. All of which have their own colour and flavour. The HD660's, to me, do not have any special flavour or colour. It is a jarring difference from the other headphones and it took me a while to figure out that was a good thing. For a guy obsessed with variety, they are a breath of fresh air. I wouldn't want them as my only headphone, but I do now love them.

Back to the HD600's. Since I bought that tube amp back in the spring I have bought two amps that have stolen its thunder. I decided to buy the Beyer DT880's (600 Ohm) and re-buy the HD600's to give my tube amp a fighting chance to stay.
(Which is kind of weird as I had bought an a low impedance tube amp to match with my Grado's.)

Once I plugged the HD600's into the tube amp they were nice. When I plugged them into my Violectric V220, they Really came alive and for the time ever I was VERY impressed with the HD600's.

This. I think anyone who has long adapted to the HD650/6XX or HD600 sound is likely not to like the HD660S on first listen. Or 2nd listen. Or 3rd listen. Takes a while to get used to them compared to that other HD6 series sound. I find them more engaging because of the midbass boost, different treble response, and slightly bigger soundstage.

Oct 28, 2020 at 2:36 PM Post #6,651 of 9,628
I really can't decide if I want to buy the 660S or 6XX. I don't care about the cost difference if the 660S it that much better.
I like both of them and listen them most of the time.
From technically point of view its easy hd660s are superior they are faster with better dynamics way better imaging and resolution.
About sound signature: HD6xx are smoother more relaxed with the known veil that some people say ,also to me they sound warmer with more high bass notes more impact on bass, HD660s have tighter faster bass and they are a little bit colder.
All HD6 series are close on their sound and compared to others from Hifiman Beyerdynamic AKG ...all hd6 series sound to me more natural with amazing in your head soundstage.
If u are looking for big soundstage then none of them are for u.
Perosnaly i like HD650 more on older bad recordings because they smooth sound so good and HD660s on better recordings.
HD6XX cost me 310 euros and HD660s 360 euros so for me the price difference even if it was close to 100 euros it worth it for the imaging and dynamics that 660s have. But if the price is 200 for HD6xx and 500 for HD660s then No no way go for HD6xx.

Oct 28, 2020 at 2:49 PM Post #6,654 of 9,628

I get your point when i got Sundara i was WoW and still i have this emotion they are fast amazing separation big soundstage etch etch i get that why they are easy to love but... HD660s have something that none of these have , natural presentation insteuments blend together nice they dont sound Artificial clean or metalic . HD660s are headphones that like i always say they are not amazing on something they are just great on everything. If i have to choose one headphone for everything this would be. But if i want something to impress someone with bass or highs or soundstage i will choose something else.
For example lot of my friends prefer thw sound of DT770pro and i get that ... But on everyday listen HD660 and HD650 are really hard to win.

Oct 28, 2020 at 2:53 PM Post #6,655 of 9,628
This. I think anyone who has long adapted to the HD650/6XX or HD600 sound is likely not to like the HD660S on first listen. Or 2nd listen. Or 3rd listen. Takes a while to get used to them compared to that other HD6 series sound. I find them more engaging because of the midbass boost, different treble response, and slightly bigger soundstage.
If that person only has these 3 from HD6 series then yes , but for people having other headphones and use them its like day and night HD 6 series have something so similar on their sound that i always recognise.

Oct 28, 2020 at 2:53 PM Post #6,656 of 9,628
Yes...like them both as well but for different tasks.

I use the 650 on shuffle and the 660S or the Clear or the Amiron Home when I'm actively listening (choosing songs).
I'm switching between my Amiron and 660 quite a bit lately. The Amiron has the detail for more energetic music. The 660 for a more relaxed tone (compared to the Amiron). Then my Nighthawks when I want to say to myself "Good god I love the nighthawk".

Oct 28, 2020 at 3:09 PM Post #6,657 of 9,628
I really can't decide if I want to buy the 660S or 6XX. I don't care about the cost difference if the 660S it that much better.

It depends on your amp. If you have a Bottlehead Crack or a powerful SS amp, like the Emotiva A100 or a vintage receiver/amp, the 660S will sound too thick and muddy. With more 'conventional' amps it's hit or miss between the 6XX/650 and 660S.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2020 at 3:10 AM Post #6,659 of 9,628
Having just picked up the 660S to replace my 650s I'm in the middle of that choice right now. The 660S is really fun and engaging to listen to in comparison. Also, I forgot how much these clamp when they're new. Feels like my head gonna get crushed. 🤕

Oct 29, 2020 at 6:32 AM Post #6,660 of 9,628
Having just picked up the 660S to replace my 650s I'm in the middle of that choice right now. The 660S is really fun and engaging to listen to in comparison. Also, I forgot how much these clamp when they're new. Feels like my head gonna get crushed. 🤕

LoL yeah every new HD 6 series feel like that clamp is to much , But i get that now ... Its like they did that on purpose for example my HD 650 that i use when they stay on the stand i can see that headband stays open much more compared to HD600 that my wife use (smaller head) ... So now that the HD600 break in on smaller head when i use them they feel tight but my HD650 feel perfect... And when my wife use my HD650 they feel not steady on her head they feel loose.
So i believe this clamp force is for that reason i explain ... Some headphones have a clamp force that never never goes away like for example HD25 they have this clamp force what ever i tried ( i get that this is for DJ use ) but for home use omg they are painful.
Anyways i prefer Clamp force to be tight and take my shape of head after time , than others . U just have to give them some time on your head that it. Also these pads will soften up .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back