Sennheiser HD660S... Finally a successor for the HD650?
Aug 6, 2020 at 4:49 PM Post #6,556 of 9,626
I asked them about it while informing them that I will unsubscribe and they said:

"Hello,

We don't know yet about an arrival for those prices outside of the UK and USA. Be sure we will communicate officially as soon as a launch will get closer.

Best,"

So I just unsubscribed. Some people pointed out that maybe they have lower costs in the NA market, lower royalty fees, etc. but it really doesn't make sense that the royalty fees would be so much higher for the same artists (on the whole) between the two markets. I am pretty sure they are using their existing EU subscriber base to fund an aggressive push into the NA market. They know generally EU consumers are used to paying more. But this is just outrageous. I was paying 19.99 EUR for CD quality and then a video popped up on DarkoAudio promoting Studio quality for $14.99 in the U.S. Like a big middle finger.
wambulance en route

Aug 6, 2020 at 5:39 PM Post #6,557 of 9,626
I asked them about it while informing them that I will unsubscribe and they said:

"Hello,

We don't know yet about an arrival for those prices outside of the UK and USA. Be sure we will communicate officially as soon as a launch will get closer.

Best,"

So I just unsubscribed. Some people pointed out that maybe they have lower costs in the NA market, lower royalty fees, etc. but it really doesn't make sense that the royalty fees would be so much higher for the same artists (on the whole) between the two markets. I am pretty sure they are using their existing EU subscriber base to fund an aggressive push into the NA market. They know generally EU consumers are used to paying more. But this is just outrageous. I was paying 19.99 EUR for CD quality and then a video popped up on DarkoAudio promoting Studio quality for $14.99 in the U.S. Like a big middle finger.

No clue on Royalty Fees...

That said, there can be a variety of costs/fees/etc. that factor into a company's price in a given market. For instance, VAT is removed from the price on headphones that I've purchased on Amazon in the UK and France. But beyond that, things are just priced differently in different markets!

Honestly, I see this global market as an advantage and leverage it accordingly...applying the capitalistic concept of my money/my 'vote'. In other words, if I like the value prop on a given deal, I vote with my money...otherwise, I move on.

As an example, buying Denon AH-D5200's in the US on Amazon is twice as expensive...can assure you VAT wasn't $350 :ksc75smile:
No biggie, just ordered from Amazon UK; same thing for Sony cans on Amazon FR

Amazon US
Denon AH-D5200 Over-Ear Headphones
by Denon - 5.0 out of 5 stars 3 ratings
Price: $699.00 Prime FREE Delivery & FREE Returns

In the UK I paid...

Item Subtotal: £266.92
Postage & Packing: £10.02
Order Total: £276.94
USD 351.31*

Amazon US
Sony MDR1AM2 Wired High Resolution Audio Overhead Headphones, Black (MDR-1AM2/B)
by Sony - 4.1 out of 5 stars 98 ratings
Price: $298.00 & FREE Returns

In France, I paid...

Sous-total des articles : EUR 108,33
Frais d'envoi : EUR 27,28
Montant total pour cet envoi : EUR 135,61

Aug 6, 2020 at 6:21 PM Post #6,558 of 9,626
No clue on Royalty Fees...

That said, there can be a variety of costs/fees/etc. that factor into a company's price in a given market. For instance, VAT is removed from the price on headphones that I've purchased on Amazon in the UK and France. But beyond that, things are just priced differently in different markets!

Honestly, I see this global market as an advantage and leverage it accordingly...applying the capitalistic concept of my money/my 'vote'. In other words, if I like the value prop on a given deal, I vote with my money...otherwise, I move on.

As an example, buying Denon AH-D5200's in the US on Amazon is twice as expensive...can assure you VAT wasn't $350 :ksc75smile:
No biggie, just ordered from Amazon UK; same thing for Sony cans on Amazon FR

Amazon US
Denon AH-D5200 Over-Ear Headphones
by Denon - 5.0 out of 5 stars 3 ratings
Price: $699.00 Prime FREE Delivery & FREE Returns

In the UK I paid...

Item Subtotal: £266.92
Postage & Packing: £10.02
Order Total: £276.94
USD 351.31*

Amazon US
Sony MDR1AM2 Wired High Resolution Audio Overhead Headphones, Black (MDR-1AM2/B)
by Sony - 4.1 out of 5 stars 98 ratings
Price: $298.00 & FREE Returns

In France, I paid...

Sous-total des articles : EUR 108,33
Frais d'envoi : EUR 27,28
Montant total pour cet envoi : EUR 135,61

There is no price like that on Denon. 5200 i have these headphones on my favorites for very long time... Amazon . UK US DE even i search for stores at Europe no one have them under 450 (NEW).

Fact is US have always better prices on most things. Even on something made in Europe.
CPU GPU headphones speakers dacs TVs fridges etch etch most of them i find them cheaper on US.
Luckily i have friends there and when they Came for vacations in Greek islands they bring me anything i want.

Aug 6, 2020 at 7:57 PM Post #6,559 of 9,626
There is no price like that on Denon. 5200 i have these headphones on my favorites for very long time... Amazon . UK US DE even i search for stores at Europe no one have them under 450 (NEW).

Fact is US have always better prices on most things. Even on something made in Europe.
CPU GPU headphones speakers dacs TVs fridges etch etch most of them i find them cheaper on US.
Luckily i have friends there and when they Came for vacations in Greek islands they bring me anything i want.
Hmmm...dont know what to tell you...thats what I paid for them...NIB from amazon.co.uk.

They do fluctuate in price like most items.

Currently they are

Items:GBP 341.04
Postage & Packing:GBP 22.86
Order Total:GBP 363.90

Still a good deal compared to US...But they'll go down again

Aug 6, 2020 at 8:18 PM Post #6,560 of 9,626
Hmmm...dont know what to tell you...thats what I paid for them...NIB from amazon.co.uk.

They do fluctuate in price like most items.

Currently they are

Items:GBP 341.04
Postage & Packing:GBP 22.86
Order Total:GBP 363.90

Still a good deal compared to US...But they'll go down again
Very very good price. U are so lucky

Aug 30, 2020 at 3:55 PM Post #6,562 of 9,626
Exactly. That's what I've been doing for years as well.

So, how about you share a little bit more about how the ZEN Can Signature 6XX sounds with the HD 660S? 🤣

As I said on your thread, I would be curious to hear the pairing 🙂 I agree with @Ichos, the HD 660S does scale and reveal/reap the benefits of high quality gear!

Aug 31, 2020 at 11:35 AM Post #6,565 of 9,626
I found an article Reviewing the best Headphones for gaming... And i have to agree om most.
HD660s are the first ...i guess imaging is very important at games.
https://www.uusguide.com/best-open-back-headphones-for-gaming/
This kind of thing is very subjective. I've owned the 600, 650 and 660s. Of those 660s was by far the best for gaming, but it was completely outshone by the Fidelio X2, Beyerdynamic T1, Amiron Home, DT 1990 Pro. I've had a pair of Sundara arrive as well this week... WOW. Incredible for gaming. The clarity is insane.

The HD660s is great for gaming, but that list is completely subjective and misleading, especially with the absurd negative for the HD660s of " Sound quality tends to deteriorate with the passage of time ". WHAT?! Absurd comment.

Aug 31, 2020 at 11:53 AM Post #6,567 of 9,626
More like his ears start to deteriorate with the passage of time.As someone who was one of the firsts to buy them back in 2018 the sound is as pristine now as it was back then.In fact,i think they sound better now,but maybe the upgraded desktop equipment played a tiny part too.

Aug 31, 2020 at 12:05 PM Post #6,568 of 9,626
More like his ears start to deteriorate with the passage of time.As someone who was one of the firsts to buy them back in 2018 the sound is as pristine now as it was back then.In fact,i think they sound better now,but maybe the upgraded desktop equipment played a tiny part too.
I know my ears are getting worse with age... And with constantly being bombarded with headphone audio

Aug 31, 2020 at 12:12 PM Post #6,569 of 9,626
This kind of thing is very subjective. I've owned the 600, 650 and 660s. Of those 660s was by far the best for gaming, but it was completely outshone by the Fidelio X2, Beyerdynamic T1, Amiron Home, DT 1990 Pro. I've had a pair of Sundara arrive as well this week... WOW. Incredible for gaming. The clarity is insane.

The HD660s is great for gaming, but that list is completely subjective and misleading, especially with the absurd negative for the HD660s of " Sound quality tends to deteriorate with the passage of time ". WHAT?! Absurd comment.

Yep, we have different ears, which can affect soundstage and imaging perception a bit. The mix on some games might privilege one headphone over another little bit. And then people weight the immersion benefits of a big sound stage versus precision imaging for positional audio differently.

And I suspect that due to mental focus ability, not just ear function, some people are able to pick out precise imaging out of a narrower soundstage. Whereas others need to have the sound separated more. In other words, cognitive, not physical hearing.

So while I certainly think it reasonable to come up with a list of a half dozen headphones that are best for gaming, THE best headphone is always going to be individualistic.

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2020 at 12:57 PM Post #6,570 of 9,626
I know my ears are getting worse with age... And with constantly being bombarded with headphone audio
Send me your gear so that I can assist in relieving your burden friend...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back