Sennheiser HD660S... Finally a successor for the HD650?
Sep 29, 2020 at 2:07 PM Post #6,586 of 9,628
I finish Listening the new 2020 Sundara with , HD 660s and for 5-6 hours i listen them side by side with HD 6xx ... So i can have all around opinion.
The comfort is better on HD 6 series for me because of the lower weight the oval pads that fit all my ear inside and last one the foam on the headband fills better for me.
Whenever i put Sundara they sound more spacious more clear some details are like more forward to me like they pushed ... Compared to HD 660s ,again and again the imagining on 660 is more presice like there are a lot of steps between left and right ... Sundara have more space between the instruments i can feel it but it doesnt fill realistic to me it feels unnatural like the instruments dont blend together like they should when u listen in real life and imaging its good but not 660 good. Soundstage feels closer more realistic to me on HD 660 , both are fast no problems with that ... If i had to describe the sound better HD 660s are warmer more analog and Sundara sound Digital so clear that feels fake to me ... bass on Sundara its tight like 660 but i can feel it goes deeper but HD 660s feels again like it has more progression i dont know how this happen but its there .
About HD 6XX that i listen right now writing that... Sundara feel like u are going from CD to HD 650 vinyl ... again Sundara are clearer ( not harsh like some beyer) pushing detail bass is tight like HD 660 but HD 6xx are smoother warmer with mid bass that u can feel on most songs .

Ofcorse i will keep Sundara i like this different type of sound its nice and excitement is there . But i prefer Hd 660s again ( i was hoping that Sundara 2020 would change that) , honestly i also prefer HD650 120558670_10158748742332390_5263010401275714561_o.jpg120413376_10158748742272390_616588365468256686_o.jpg120580992_10158748742297390_4676860402648758841_o (1).jpg more than Sundara .
This is my opinion and only , i like warm sound signature with normal soundstage singer in front of me and intsuments around her also i like resolution and detail that is there but not pushed to me .

Sep 29, 2020 at 3:39 PM Post #6,588 of 9,628
I finish Listening the new 2020 Sundara with , HD 660s and for 5-6 hours i listen them side by side with HD 6xx ... So i can have all around opinion.
The comfort is better on HD 6 series for me because of the lower weight the oval pads that fit all my ear inside and last one the foam on the headband fills better for me.
Whenever i put Sundara they sound more spacious more clear some details are like more forward to me like they pushed ... Compared to HD 660s ,again and again the imagining on 660 is more presice like there are a lot of steps between left and right ... Sundara have more space between the instruments i can feel it but it doesnt fill realistic to me it feels unnatural like the instruments dont blend together like they should when u listen in real life and imaging its good but not 660 good. Soundstage feels closer more realistic to me on HD 660 , both are fast no problems with that ... If i had to describe the sound better HD 660s are warmer more analog and Sundara sound Digital so clear that feels fake to me ... bass on Sundara its tight like 660 but i can feel it goes deeper but HD 660s feels again like it has more progression i dont know how this happen but its there .
About HD 6XX that i listen right now writing that... Sundara feel like u are going from CD to HD 650 vinyl ... again Sundara are clearer ( not harsh like some beyer) pushing detail bass is tight like HD 660 but HD 6xx are smoother warmer with mid bass that u can feel on most songs .

Ofcorse i will keep Sundara i like this different type of sound its nice and excitement is there . But i prefer Hd 660s again ( i was hoping that Sundara 2020 would change that) , honestly i also prefer HD650 more than Sundara .
This is my opinion and only , i like warm sound signature with normal soundstage singer in front of me and intsuments around her also i like resolution and detail that is there but not pushed to me .

I also like both headphones. I was quite happy with Grado GH2's, Elex's and Sundara's. Then I got a good deal on open box 660's. At first I was unimpressed, but the 660's grew on me. I find the Sundara's smoothes everything out, the Elex's are super intense and dynamic and the Grado's have their own unique sound. I find the 660's brings nothing at all to the table. It is the just bare bones of the music. At first I didn't care for it, and I still wouldn't want it as my only headphone, but now I love how it seems to have no processing or special slant. To me, these are the defintion of transparent. After a couple of days of one of my other 'phones I Love putting on the 660's. The difference is jarring at first, but after about 15 minutes I am like "Wow that is a clean, natural sound!" Of course a few days later I go a different way, but I always enjoy coming back. I am hooked on variety! :smile:

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2020 at 4:54 PM Post #6,590 of 9,628

Nice comparison!

I always like your posts and photos Ichos.
I have to say i trust your opinion 99% until now every step i make its exactly what u have already told me.

Off-topic and very helpful if u can answer me. The Sundara diaphragm when i push the pads on my ears with sound off i can hear a crackling noise i am sure thats the diaphragm its like stretching a nailon or something, is this normal ?
And last can u advice me on a portable powerful amp-dac from 200-300 euros ?

Sep 29, 2020 at 4:59 PM Post #6,592 of 9,628
I always like your posts and photos Ichos.
I have to say i trust your opinion 99% until now every step i make its exactly what u have already told me.

Off-topic and very helpful if u can answer me. The Sundara diaphragm when i push the pads on my ears with sound off i can hear a crackling noise i am sure thats the diaphragm its like stretching a nailon or something, is this normal ?
And last can u advice me on a portable powerful amp-dac from 200-300 euros ?

Thank you for your kind words.
I appreciate them.

I am listening right now so I pressed them hard but can't hear anything.
It can't be the diaphragm because there is a metallic grill in front of it.

I you can afford it then I strongly suggest Earmen TR Amp.
Or if you want balanced then be patient and wait for FiiO Q3.

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2020 at 5:06 PM Post #6,595 of 9,628
I also like both headphones. I was quite happy with Grado GH2's, Elex's and Sundara's. Then I got a good deal on open box 660's. At first I was unimpressed, but the 660's grew on me. I find the Sundara's smoothes everything out, the Elex's are super intense and dynamic and the Grado's have their own unique sound. I find the 660's brings nothing at all to the table. It is the just bare bones of the music. At first I didn't care for it, and I still wouldn't want it as my only headphone, but now I love how it seems to have no processing or special slant. To me, these are the defintion of transparent. After a couple of days of one of my other 'phones I Love putting on the 660's. The difference is jarring at first, but after about 15 minutes I am like "Wow that is a clean, natural sound!" Of course a few days later I go a different way, but I always enjoy coming back. I am hooked on variety! :smile:
So am I. The headphone stable for me is currently filled by Audeze LCD-X, Focal Clear, Meze Empyrean, Rosson RAD-0, and Sennheiser HD-600. I may get to the 660s yet. Anyway, different recordings (my listening is CD based) sound more accurate or better or more enjoyable with different headphones. Sometimes, this applies to different tracks on one CD depending on the recording mix. Before COVID, when I went to concerts or jazz clubs, the seats were always different and thus offered different sonic perspectives. Variety is the spice of life.

Sep 29, 2020 at 5:14 PM Post #6,596 of 9,628
Press them to your ears and let your hand fast... I hear a sound like αλουμινόχαρτο.

I tried and I think I heard it once and it seems pad or air pressure related.

I will buy that its a red one ... Does it pair nice with HD6 series ?

It pairs well with everything.
It is reference sound , can't go wrong with it.

Sep 29, 2020 at 6:18 PM Post #6,598 of 9,628
You guys may laugh, but in addition for sitting and listening, I love my HD660S for doing things around the house. They are easy to drive with my Shanling M2X. And it gives me more of a sensation of speakers in a room because you can still hear what's going on in the room compared to a closed headphone or IEM. More like when I used to bartend and was surrounded with sound. I like not feeling isolated from my environment.

And because they are fairly lightweight, I soon forget they are on my head. They don't move around at all because of their shape and clamp.

Sep 29, 2020 at 7:51 PM Post #6,599 of 9,628
You guys may laugh, but in addition for sitting and listening, I love my HD660S for doing things around the house. They are easy to drive with my Shanling M2X. And it gives me more of a sensation of speakers in a room because you can still hear what's going on in the room compared to a closed headphone or IEM. More like when I used to bartend and was surrounded with sound. I like not feeling isolated from my environment.

And because they are fairly lightweight, I soon forget they are on my head. They don't move around at all because of their shape and clamp.

I preferred the 600 over the 650... plus I don't have sit chained up behind a desk. Had my newborn and the 660s is just plainly simple to use, as it is so easy to enjoy.

Glad you enjoy them too. One of the best purchases last year! (In b4 the questionable price hike)

Sep 30, 2020 at 2:45 AM Post #6,600 of 9,628
I preferred the 600 over the 650... plus I don't have sit chained up behind a desk. Had my newborn and the 660s is just plainly simple to use, as it is so easy to enjoy.

Glad you enjoy them too. One of the best purchases last year! (In b4 the questionable price hike)
A lot of people like HD 600 neutrality ... so maybe u will also like HD 560S FR look like this. For this year it will be the last Headphone that i will buy , and i hope stoped after that :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back