Sennheiser HD660S... Finally a successor for the HD650?
May 28, 2020 at 9:29 PM Post #6,078 of 9,628
I owned the 800S for a year. I do not miss it, and I sold it 2 weeks ago. Oh, and the og 800.
But I'm reading reports from others who say that with a powerful enough amp, it sounds amazing. Like with the Sony TA-zh1es, no? Actually, if it's super neutral, technical, I probably wouldn't have liked it. This is precisely why I just sent back the Shure SRH1840's. I could hear amazing things from those headphones, like I was sitting right there in the studio next to the musicians. But it was almost too real, too accurate, if you know what I mean.

Last edited:
May 29, 2020 at 12:44 AM Post #6,079 of 9,628
But I'm reading reports from others who say that with a powerful enough amp, it sounds amazing. Like with the Sony TA-zh1es, no? Actually, if it's super neutral, technical, I probably wouldn't have liked it. This is precisely why I just sent back the Shure SRH1840's. I could hear amazing things from those headphones, like I was sitting right there in the studio next to the musicians. But it was almost too real, too accurate, if you know what I mean.

The 800/S is super picky apparently. I don't even know where on the scale I was, but I wasn't going to replace everything or buy all new amps etc to fit one headphone. I'm listening to a mix of 1930s material right now on the 660S from Spotify and it's just sublime. At the end of the day just go with what makes you happy and stop chasing what is likely unobtainable (perfection).

May 29, 2020 at 6:13 AM Post #6,080 of 9,628

If I had to choose between HD660S and HD800S (with HDV820), I would take HD800S in a heart beat. Luckily I don't have to choose and I can use both. This is after using them both almost every day during the last 2 years.

Last edited:
May 29, 2020 at 7:23 PM Post #6,082 of 9,628
Anyone have a recommendation for a good balanced XLR cable (less than $200) for the HD660S that won't make audible noise if it rubs against your clothes? I'll be wanting to plug it into a headphone amp (Sony TA-zh1es).

Last edited:
May 30, 2020 at 8:30 PM Post #6,083 of 9,628
May I chime in as an x-owner of both 800 and 800S.

Despite the technical superiority of the 800S and it's life like dynamics and great soundstage I ended preferring the 660S because of it's better more natural tonality.
Simply put it instruments timbre and tone are better defined more close to the real thing or if you prefer to a good speaker in a well dampened room.
So the HD660S is more enjoyable on the long run just sounding spot on.

Got tired of exploring gear and paying a lot to fix the HD800S obvious flaw's to learn at the end that well guess , can't be fixed.

The same fate is awaiting the Clear if they don't sound tonally correct right of the bat.
I just sold my 800S and I also had the 800, so I'm hoping for this outcome with the 660s as well.

May 30, 2020 at 10:38 PM Post #6,084 of 9,628
I just sold my 800S and I also had the 800, so I'm hoping for this outcome with the 660s as well.

Do you listen to classical music?

May 31, 2020 at 7:43 AM Post #6,088 of 9,628
My LCD 4s sound divine with classical, and I'm hoping the 660s will do the trick as well, if sennheiser ever ships them.

Re the shipment, it must be that they are simply not in stock. My experience with Sennheiser when buying directly has been that they ship immediately, well packaged, fast, and cheap. At least in the EU. I think the last order was an HD-600 replacement headband and it arrived the next day somehow. I hope it's similar in Canada.

My complaint in dealing directly with Sennheiser is that they stop answering e-mails when they don't like the subject (as stated above, I had asked them why my local dealer, to which they directed me, charges 50 EUR for ONE HD-600 grill when they sell for 12 USD on some websites and used to sell for like 15 EUR on EU sites when they were available - no answer for two months).

May 31, 2020 at 11:29 AM Post #6,090 of 9,628
@CaptainFantastic
I see you have the ZMF Aeolus as well. Is it superior to the HD660s/650 ? If so, in what way you think it particularly excels against the Senns ?

I will let you know perhaps in July or August. It is currently being sanded and finished in Chicago. :)

To be clear, I didn't purchase it to replace or upgrade my Sennheisers. I expect that it will be a lusher, warmer sound yet still retaining good vocals and I want to hear how it pairs with my tube amp. I will have to be patient and wait a few weeks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back