Sennheiser HD660S... Finally a successor for the HD650?
Mar 27, 2020 at 8:49 AM Post #5,806 of 9,653
My experience though remains the same.
Aftermarket pads do change sound signature.
To the worse or the better is for the individual to decide.
For example I liked better Dekoni hybrids with stock HD800 , didn't care much with HD800S and
I disliked misodiko leather pads.

After hours of listening on Velur and fenestrated from Drop (not Dekoni) I have to agree with u , unfortunately they sound terrible everything was lost and NO bass is not better its just bloated and bad quality , The sad part its not only that its that after hours of use they don't feel so comfort like the originals( originals have brake in and softened) Even my wife that has no idea about sound I make her test them , and told me that headphone feels heavier and the pads feel like they have smaller surface ? about sound see told me that they feel mudded and not airy at all .
Build quality also is all over the place Originals doesn't have a moving round ring clip , the Drop ones have a moving ring clip that is keep moving . Also they are not stitched under like originals are I can see the foam , Something also not nice is that Drop pads have stitched in front ,originals doesn't have any all I see it the fabric without any stiches , another is that original pads have a foam that is coned shaped , the Drop pads are not . I Look all my pads from BO BW Bose and all of them have some kind of shaped foam cone or cylindrical , Drop pads are just plain simple .
I don't know the quality of Dekonis and I am not willing to spend so much money again :) . Luckily I sold the leather ones it wasn't mine and now I want to sell my velours . By the way Velour also have not black color its just a bluish one . 20200327_144659.jpg20200327_144659.jpg20200327_144551.jpg20200327_144529.jpg20200327_144520.jpg20200327_144506.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2020 at 2:19 PM Post #5,812 of 9,653
Hello all!
In case you use EQ, I'd like to know your preferred EQ settings for the 660s
Thanks!
Back in the days I use EQ or SOnarworks , now I just try to have a Headphone with a signature that I like , don't know EQ never worked for me, for example Sonarworks doesn't sound ok on my HD series . Flat yeah on graphs but in my ears something wrong is going on.
Its all about taste, u can use Rtratings measurements for your EQ if u want .

Mar 30, 2020 at 2:33 PM Post #5,813 of 9,653
Back in the days I use EQ or SOnarworks , now I just try to have a Headphone with a signature that I like , don't know EQ never worked for me, for example Sonarworks doesn't sound ok on my HD series . Flat yeah on graphs but in my ears something wrong is going on.
Its all about taste, u can use Rtratings measurements for your EQ if u want .

What's going on is that flat sounds pretty horrible. It's not even supposed to sound nice or even natural, it's just useful for a sound engineer as it provides a level playing field across different headphones/speakers.

Mar 30, 2020 at 5:27 PM Post #5,814 of 9,653
What's going on is that flat sounds pretty horrible. It's not even supposed to sound nice or even natural, it's just useful for a sound engineer as it provides a level playing field across different headphones/speakers.
Have to agree, also with a friend that is working on studio we had this conversation about flat sound and he told me that our ears need some deeps and spikes to sound even neutral , for example a neautral sound from a headphone maybe doesnt have flat eq to sound neautral to us a lot of factors for every headphone. We had an disagreement about balanced vs unbalanced he told me that there is no difference on such a short cables if they use the same dac. Dont know i have used balanced vs unbalanced hear a small difference but it was different dac. So this is also something that i dont know for sure and i think unbalance is the way so i can use them everywhere .

Mar 31, 2020 at 12:55 AM Post #5,815 of 9,653
His opinion is legit but it is the old studio view that balanced is useful only for long cable runs to reject noise.
It still is valid but got nothing to do with current vogue in our hobby.
This days more and more components are designed to operate fully balanced not for noise rejection but for sound quality.
Engineers design balanced because they believe it is better for the end result.
So at the end the choice of running balanced or not depends on the used gear.
If it is designed fully balanced then it is better to run headphones balanced to utilise it's full potential as the engineer wanted.
Of course the above does not imply by any way that balanced is better than single ended.
Some of the best amps and dacs out there are single ended so the choice itself depends on the chosen component and not it's design.
So to summarize my opinion is that balanced is not necessarily better than single ended but inherently balanced designed components should be run balanced for best results.

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2020 at 3:27 AM Post #5,816 of 9,653
His opinion is legit but it is the old studio view that balanced is useful only for long cable runs to reject noise.
It still is valid but got nothing to do with current vogue in our hobby.
This days more and more components are designed to operate fully balanced not for noise rejection but for sound quality.
Engineers design balanced because they believe it is better for the end result.
So at the end the choice of running balanced or not depends on the used gear.
If it is designed fully balanced then it is better to run headphones balanced to utilise it's full potential as the engineer wanted.
Of course the above does not imply by any way that balanced is better than single ended.
Some of the best amps and dacs out there are single ended so the choice itself depends on the chosen component and not it's design.
So to summarize my opinion is that balanced is not necessarily better than single ended but inherently balanced designed components should be run balanced for best results.

This is spot on IMO. Very good explanation. There are advantages with balanced designs , but, as you say, that does not mean that any given balanced system/component will sound better than an unbalanced one. I have several amps and in my case the best single ended one is superior to the balanced one that I have.

Mar 31, 2020 at 7:22 AM Post #5,818 of 9,653
I bought a professional cloth from Visaton it was easy from my country. Cut it and replace the foam.
Is it me or this original foam inside the headphone dampening the sound ? Same happen with 6XX . Strange....

I received my Visaton cloth. I think you mentioned in another post that one should cut it slightly larger in diameter than the original foam? Why is that? Ready to sit down and do it right this evening.

Mar 31, 2020 at 8:19 AM Post #5,819 of 9,653
I received my Visaton cloth. I think you mentioned in another post that one should cut it slightly larger in diameter than the original foam? Why is that? Ready to sit down and do it right this evening.
Take of the foam and place it in a paper make the shape with a pen and then place the visaton on the paper and cut it.
I said a little bigger because the foam inside when u take it of it will have a conical form that is happenes from the pads pressure thats why , if u press them down to the paper and make the oval with the pen then there is no need to make it.bigger.

Apr 3, 2020 at 8:21 AM Post #5,820 of 9,653
Hello,
Looking for a 4.4mm female to 4pin xlr male pigtail. Has anyone seen anything like that with a nicer quality than the cheap stuff that's on Amazon?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back