Sennheiser HD660S... Finally a successor for the HD650?
Nov 25, 2019 at 3:47 PM Post #5,161 of 9,628
Thanks for the reply, matches my experience pretty closely. Currently using the Benchmark DAC3HGC as a dac and headphone amp and it seems to really love Sennheisers in general. Per Benchmark, the amp section was voiced using the HD650. The BCL does have a nice warmth though.

How does the Benchmark compare to the HDVD800? Better, I expect, but what's your take on it? And have you ever heard the HDV 820? The Benchmark is really expensive, here in Finland at least..... Interesting that the amp section was voiced using the HD650!

Nov 25, 2019 at 5:24 PM Post #5,162 of 9,628
How does the Benchmark compare to the HDVD800? Better, I expect, but what's your take on it? And have you ever heard the HDV 820? The Benchmark is really expensive, here in Finland at least..... Interesting that the amp section was voiced using the HD650!
Yes, when I first got the benchmark I also had the HDVD800 and the HDV820. The HDV820 was a disappointment. A better DAC than the 800 but still not great. Maybe slightly better as an amp than the 800 but so close I’d say not worth the upgrade.
The benchmark on the other hand is pretty amazing. The dac is top quality, very high resolution and spacious while also being non-fatiguing. It makes the analogue outputs of my Creek CD player sound a little grainy and sibilant by comparison and I always considered that an easy to listen to player. As a headphone amp it’s more extended at both extremes with much tighter image focus than the BCL. The BCL is a little warmer and mid-bassy, almost tube-like which is a nice contrast. When using the BCL, I drive it from the analogue outputs of the benchmark .

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2019 at 10:59 PM Post #5,163 of 9,628
Yes, when I first got the benchmark I also had the HDVD800 and the HDV820. The HDV820 was a disappointment. A better DAC than the 800 but still not great. Maybe slightly better as an amp than the 800 but so close I’d say not worth the upgrade.
The benchmark on the other hand is pretty amazing. The dac is top quality, very high resolution and spacious while also being non-fatiguing. It makes the analogue outputs of my Creek CD player sound a little grainy and sibilant by comparison and I always considered that an easy to listen to player. As a headphone amp it’s more extended at both extremes with much tighter image focus than the BCL. The BCL is a little warmer and mid-bassy, almost tube-like which is a nice contrast. When using the BCL, I drive it from the analogue outputs of the benchmark .

This is really helpful as I’ve been wondering about the HDV820 for ages. I think I know you and your experience and sonic preferences well enough by now for your opinion to be meaningful to me, so thanks! The Benchmark sounds great! Let’s see if I ever go in that direction. Interesting comments about the BCL. I do like the sound of the BCL quite a bit and I’m hoping that the Linear SE in combination with the Marantz DA12 will satisfy me for some time.

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2019 at 4:30 AM Post #5,164 of 9,628
I've noticed that very few are using tubes (OTL or hybrid amps) with the HD660s and I'm thinking it has something to do with the higher output impedance of most tube amps but what about hybrid amps that only have a tube buffer stage and have a fairly low output impedance? The only reason I still have my HD800, T1gen1 and a few other higher impedance headphones is that they sound great (best IMO) on a OTL amp while headphones like the HD660s, HD700 and HD58X actually sound quite good from almost any amp that has a fairly low output impedance.

Nov 26, 2019 at 2:18 PM Post #5,169 of 9,628
Commenting on @donlin ,

The Benchmark is one fine DAC. I use them in the Hauptwerk configurations for organ construction. If anyone wants to upgrade to the Benchmark they would not be sorry. For my own personal stereo I running my headphones through the PS Audio unit: StellarGain Cell Preamplifier plus DAC. I learned a long time ago that if the source is below pare then the final sound will be the same way. The PS Audio is $1,700 and I know it is beyond most budgets but it is clean and does not add anything to the final result going to the headphones. Both the Benchmark and the PS Audio is the way to go.

By the way, if anyone knows if the 660s will go on sale for this Friday could you please shout.

Nov 26, 2019 at 2:19 PM Post #5,170 of 9,628
I've noticed that very few are using tubes (OTL or hybrid amps) with the HD660s and I'm thinking it has something to do with the higher output impedance of most tube amps but what about hybrid amps that only have a tube buffer stage and have a fairly low output impedance? The only reason I still have my HD800, T1gen1 and a few other higher impedance headphones is that they sound great (best IMO) on a OTL amp while headphones like the HD660s, HD700 and HD58X actually sound quite good from almost any amp that has a fairly low output impedance.
I use mine with the Valhalla 2 with great results. Granted, the Valhalla 2 has a fairly low output impedance (low gain less than 4 ohms, high less than 14), but it pretty much does all of the same wonderful stuff as it does to my HD600 aka holographic sense of space and adds fireflies to the transients:)
I suspect there are other OTLs out there that’ll match well with 660, but like you mentioned, one has to mind the output impedance.
...or not? I mean, there are many out there who cherish the 600/650 with a Bottlehead Crack, and that’s what? A 120 ohms I believe. If one digs the impedance hump that generally comes with the territory, then maybe the 660 will sound marvelous out of X tube amp with high output impedance. I haven’t tried it with an old school OTL yet but am definitely bringing the Sennie with me the next time I visit my ‘tube guy’:)

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2019 at 1:08 AM Post #5,174 of 9,628
I am using this with Lyr 3 with great results.
Have you had a chance to compare Lyr3 with Lyr2? I was looking at the Schiit site the other day and saw that they have B-stock Lyr3 for fairly cheap at times. I know my Lyr2 is not a good match for the HD660S when I tried it, made the HD660S a bit harsh in the upper mids and highs but it might have been since I was using Telefunken CCa tubes which are very clear but also a touch on the bright side with some headphones. My Ember (output impedance set to low) is actually a better amp for the HD660s but I noticed that I have usually preferred a SS amp with the HD660S.

I use mine with the Valhalla 2 with great results. Granted, the Valhalla 2 has a fairly low output impedance (low gain less than 4 ohms, high less than 14), but it pretty much does all of the same wonderful stuff as it does to my HD600 aka holographic sense of space and adds fireflies to the transients:)
I suspect there are other OTLs out there that’ll match well with 660, but like you mentioned, one has to mind the output impedance.
...or not? I mean, there are many out there who cherish the 600/650 with a Bottlehead Crack, and that’s what? A 120 ohms I believe. If one digs the impedance hump that generally comes with the territory, then maybe the 660 will sound marvelous out of X tube amp with high output impedance. I haven’t tried it with an old school OTL yet but am definitely bringing the Sennie with me the next time I visit my ‘tube guy’:)
The Valhalla2 was one of the few amps that I really didn't care for with most of the headphones that I tried it with since tube rolling has almost no effect and with most of the headphones that I tried on it the sound a bit on the thin side and a bit harsh in the upper mids and highs at times. I'm one that loves my HD650 on a BH Crack but only with TS5998 or WE421a power tubes since these have about the lowest output impedance (70-80ohm iirc) versus the stock 6080 at 120-125ohms.

Nov 27, 2019 at 1:39 AM Post #5,175 of 9,628
Just goes to show how differently we hear things:) The Valhalla 2 is one of the only OTLs I’ve tried that didn’t sacrifice clarity and detail for warmth.
Never heard a Crack that connected with me. Actually until I found the little Schiit I was all about solid state. My HD580 at the time was hooked up to the first 10 tube amps, including the Crack and a WA6, and I always ended up prefering my Myryad Z40.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back