Sennheiser HD660S... Finally a successor for the HD650?
Sep 19, 2019 at 2:26 PM Post #4,606 of 9,628
I'm glad sennheiser was actually brave enough to do this update because now I have a headphone that's perfect for me.

I think most agree on releasing the HD660S was a good thing. It’s calling it the successor to the HD650 that has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as the bad move..

We all should find that headphone when you listen and you just think wow this sounds so nice I can listen for hours with nothing to complain about and that's every time you wear them not just the first week. If you have that you don't need to look for anything else just enjoy the music.

This. Absolutely. :beerchug:

Sep 19, 2019 at 2:34 PM Post #4,608 of 9,628
I would say that the HD650 is as tonally accurate as any headphone I’ve heard.
Hard to argue with that. It's amazing that a 15 year old, relatively inexpensive design can still make that kind of a claim.

Sep 21, 2019 at 7:21 AM Post #4,611 of 9,628
@Mike F I forgot to ask but you did put your 650 pads on the 660S didn't you, while doing the comparison?

No, I didn’t, but I did use my recently purchased and very little used 2nd pair of HD650’s (bought when I thought they might be discontinued) on which the pads are as new. They are the old style, jet black and slightly thinner without the inside bevel, but I take them to be part and parcel of the HD650 design and sound.

What difference do you think I should expect if I swap the pads between them?

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2019 at 9:02 AM Post #4,613 of 9,628
New pads on any 6x0 series will give a little more treble and less bass. As the pads wear and compress you hear a signature than is a bit warmer. That's my experience anyway.

That’s correct also in my experience, but should I use the new style pads on my HD650 just because the HD660S has them, or can I not accept the sound of the original (as new) pads on the HD650 as part and parcel of the intended sound?

Sep 21, 2019 at 10:53 AM Post #4,614 of 9,628
Deftone, Perhaps I wasn’t clear in my above post. It’s not that I don’t know what effect the pads and pad wear have, but I’m not sure whether you think that the HD650 has an advantage or a disadvantage because if the old style pads. Or, perhaps you’re assuming that the pads on my HD650 must be worn and to get a fair result I should use the same pads (of either style) on both headphones? I’m not trying to be difficult, I’m just not sure why you think I should exchange the pads?

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2019 at 1:40 PM Post #4,615 of 9,628
There is only one sparepart number for all of the HD series headphones based on the same frame construction. My latest new set of pads for my HD660S was the HD650 part. So if you purchase replacement parts in the future you likely get the latest revision, which is the HD660S standard pad.

Sep 21, 2019 at 2:30 PM Post #4,616 of 9,628
There is only one sparepart number for all of the HD series headphones based on the same frame construction. My latest new set of pads for my HD660S was the HD650 part. So if you purchase replacement parts in the future you likely get the latest revision, which is the HD660S standard pad.

That’s exactly what I received when I recently renewed the pads on my HD580 Precision, so I know! :wink:

Sep 21, 2019 at 3:22 PM Post #4,617 of 9,628
Deftone, Perhaps I wasn’t clear in my above post. It’s not that I don’t know what effect the pads and pad wear have, but I’m not sure whether you think that the HD650 has an advantage or a disadvantage because if the old style pads. Or, perhaps you’re assuming that the pads on my HD650 must be worn and to get a fair result I should use the same pads (of either style) on both headphones? I’m not trying to be difficult, I’m just not sure why you think I should exchange the pads?

Well worn in pads give a warmer and smoother sound on the 600 series headphones. I noticed when I got my 660s they were quite a bit brighter than the 650 so I swapped them over to the 650 and they became brighter too. Over the next 2 weeks I compared them I put the new pads to the side on only made comparisons using my well worn pads because I knew that's what the sound would eventually become not that new pad brighter and leaner sound.

As they take form to the shape of your head and gets closer to your ear it will become warmer and "smoother" because the treble gets reduced.

Sep 21, 2019 at 3:31 PM Post #4,618 of 9,628
HD600 (pink) HD650 (orange) HD660S (teal)

hd600-vs-650-vs-660-5db-div.png

Sep 21, 2019 at 3:36 PM Post #4,619 of 9,628
Well worn in pads give a warmer and smoother sound on the 600 series headphones. I noticed when I got my 660s they were quite a bit brighter than the 650 so I swapped them over to the 650 and they became brighter too. Over the next 2 weeks I compared them I put the new pads to the side on only made comparisons using my well worn pads because I knew that's what the sound would eventually become not that new pad brighter and leaner sound.

As they take form to the shape of your head and gets closer to your ear it will become warmer and "smoother" because the treble gets reduced.

I’m sure you’re right. I’m considering keeping the HD660S. More on that soon.......!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back