Sennheiser HD660S... Finally a successor for the HD650?
Mar 8, 2018 at 8:43 AM Post #2,823 of 9,618
product_detail_x2_desktop_HD_660_S_Isofront_RGB_red.jpg

https://en-us.sennheiser.com/headphones-audiophile-high-end-hd-660-s

Price: $499.95 USD

Technical Data
Impedance - 150 Ω
Connector - Stereo jack plug, gold-plated 6.35 mm, unbalanced, 3-pin 4.4 mm, balanced, 5-pin Frequency response - 10 – 41,000 Hz (-10 dB)
Sound pressure level (SPL) - 104 dB at 1V 1kHz
Ear coupling - Over-ear (circumaural)
THD + N, total harmonic distortion and noise - < 0,04% (1 kHz, 100 dB)
Transducer principle (headphones) - Dynamic, open
Weight w/o cable - Approx. 260 g (without cable)

A new audiophile versatility
The new HD 660 S lets you enjoy sophisticated audiophile sound in even more listening situations. The successor of the legendary HD 650 excels with the improved performance of its new transducer design. Thanks to its lower impedance, it delivers reference-class sound also when connected to hi-res mobile players, thus offering much greater versatility. The HD 660 S is an elegantly designed piece of high-quality engineering that indulges the demanding listener with aural precision and great wearing comfort.

Sound for the passionate music enthusiast
Made for the demanding listener, the HD 660 S surpasses the exceptional performance of its predecessor, the legendary HD 650. With a crisp bass, excellent mid-frequency response, and a gentle, pleasantly natural treble, the HD 660 S has an expressiveness that immerses you in every emotion and nuance of music. Still, it always stays exceptionally accurate and transparent.

Cutting-edge Sennheiser technology
The HD 660 S features a new transducer design developed by Sennheiser. This results in improved control of the diaphragm movements thanks to a specially manufactured precision stainless steel fabric, which is adapted to the contour of the diaphragm. Extremely light aluminum voice coils ensure the highest impulse fidelity. The transducers are carefully selected and paired by hand to ensure consistently narrow (±1 dB) tolerances.

Supreme connectivity
The HD 660 S has been created to enjoy music in supreme quality and from many different audio sources. Thanks to its low impedance it also offers reference-class fidelity with hi-res mobile players. Naturally, the HD 660 S reveals its full potential when it is connected to the balanced outputs of a dedicated headphone amplifier such as the HDV 820 or to the balanced output of a mobile digital audio player. Accordingly, it comes with a choice of cables for just about any occasion. All cables are made of highly conductive OFC copper, featuring very low handling noise and sturdy para-aramid reinforcement.

Designed for high-end comfort
Everything about the HD 660 S makes listening a pure pleasure – not least its strong yet lightweight open construction. The elliptical ear cups are shaped to follow the anatomy of the ear, while thick padding on the headband and the replaceable ear cushions guarantee hours and hours of listening in supreme comfort.

Mar 8, 2018 at 8:53 AM Post #2,824 of 9,618
Hi everyone....I have a question so basic, it's embarrassing.

But here goes. I own the 660's as well as the 650's. As you know, each has a cable leading to each driver. The question is, do the cables need to be plugged into the socket in a certain way? Like, with the "L' and 'R' facing out, or in? Or would it not matter at all?

It seems that connecting audio cables to speakers or drivers incorrectly could lead to phase shift problems. Like, hooking up speakers, the hot and cold are not arbitrary....they need to be connected correctly. Same with the Senns?

The reason I ask, is that with the 650's using the stock cable - I had removed it and put it back in a few times - I started having bad phase shift issues. So bad I bought a new Signal Cable for Senn. But the problem persisted. I sent them back in for repair (out of warranty...I paid). They're fine now.

So fast forward to the 660's I tried the Signal Cable - but developed the same problem. Phase shifting.

Wondering if all along, I've been inserting the cable tips wrong. Thoughts?

Thanks

Mar 8, 2018 at 8:56 AM Post #2,825 of 9,618

But here goes. I own the 660's as well as the 650's. As you know, each has a cable leading to each driver. The question is, do the cables need to be plugged into the socket in a certain way? Like, with the "L' and 'R' facing out, or in? Or would it not matter at all?

It seems that connecting audio cables to speakers or drivers incorrectly could lead to phase shift problems. Like, hooking up speakers, the hot and cold are not arbitrary....they need to be connected correctly. Same with the Senns?

The reason I ask, is that with the 650's using the stock cable - I had removed it and put it back in a few times - I started having bad phase shift issues. So bad I bought a new Signal Cable for Senn. But the problem persisted. I sent them back in for repair (out of warranty...I paid). They're fine now.

So fast forward to the 660's I tried the Signal Cable - but developed the same problem. Phase shifting.

Thanks
Yes, the L and R marks have to face out to be in phase. Also the pins are slightly different sizes so if you force the plugs in the wrong way, you will damage the jacks in the headphones.

Mar 8, 2018 at 9:00 AM Post #2,826 of 9,618

Thanks
The letters need to be on the outside, not in your heads direction. The contact pins are different in diameter, so it should be impossible to revert them. Only if you force that.

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2018 at 9:08 AM Post #2,827 of 9,618
Yes, the L and R marks have to face out to be in phase. Also the pins are slightly different sizes so if you force the plugs in the wrong way, you will damage the jacks in the headphones.

Thank you!

I really appreciate it.

Mar 8, 2018 at 9:22 AM Post #2,830 of 9,618
So many mixed reviews and opinions on these. Some say there is almost no difference between these and the 600/650/6XX and some say they are so massively better/different than those before that everyone should stop using the older ones and start using the 660 instead.

These opinions seem to be very polarizing and has spread to many big reviewers too. Not sure what to make of it.

Mar 8, 2018 at 9:24 AM Post #2,831 of 9,618
The only thing to make of it is you have to listen for yourself and allow enough time for the new toy syndrome to wear off in order to make a good decision.

Mar 8, 2018 at 9:34 AM Post #2,832 of 9,618
Mar 8, 2018 at 9:50 AM Post #2,834 of 9,618
And honestly, Rob, I think unless you had brand new pads of both types in front of you at the same time, it would be almost impossible to notice the difference.

You could be right...but what I can say is that last year I had a pair of 5 year old 650s with new pads, a new pair of Massdrop HD6XXs and these two sound more or less identical, sold both but bought another "new" pair of HD650s (the ones with the hi-res logo) back in July and the first thing I noticed were that the pads appeared to be different, more angular on the insides from what I remembered, these sounded less dark and more open, the drivers also had a tiny silver "3D" sticker on them (slightly different newer driver???).......so who knows.

The whole thing is fairly perplexing, just bought myself a new pair, the ones with the “High Res audio” sticker on the box and the shiny little hologram sticker on the right side driver

and they were totally lacking in dynamics, a blob in the head for the first couple of days and then they just sprang to life.

Right now they sound just about perfect either off my Bryston duo or the SMSL sApII and are giving my 800S a run for their money... very clear (absolutely no veil) with a very natural tone, great image separation and sound staging….base performance is also very truthful...showing off their high end pedigree.

Oddly I do not recall getting a similar performance with my previous 650s, also white mesh and my Masdrop HD6XX although as far as I’m aware there have not been any changes/updates so they should all have the same driver.

All three though were a large leap forward IMHO from what I remember from my older 580/600s and the original 2003 release of the 650 which IMHO did suffer from being overly warm and the “veil” which set my original prejudices regarding the 600 series and a love hate relationship... but these new ones just might make me a convert. :o2smile:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sennheiser-hd650-massdrop-hd6xx-impressions-thread.197776/page-2608
hologram.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2018 at 10:17 AM Post #2,835 of 9,618
Listening to Angus and Julia Stone's Snow album right now. Sound excellent. SONY WM1A>balanced out on high gain>HD660S > my ears and soul..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back