Sennheiser HD660S... Finally a successor for the HD650?
Mar 7, 2018 at 9:57 AM Post #2,791 of 9,628
Most people find non-existent differences between pads that saddens me and have no trust left in reviews that bring up minor diferences in sound betwewn headphones. Most reviewers saw differences between pads without knowing they were the same pads. Nothing counts or makes sense anymore if you have imaginary problems with how the pads sound, you disqualify yourself from the very start.

Well, I was yelling from the very start that the pads were identical, but people have very active imagination, the "new" pads were deeper, had narrower edges, sounded different, etc. How can a person not understand that sponge pads wear out and cannot stay the same?!
Of course the new ones are deeper and narrow edged, they wear out by flattening and becoming shallower, it's simple logic.

The pads on the HD 660 S, which will also be the replacement pads from now on, ARE different. It's been noted by several reviewers (including one whom I'm sure you'd like to discredit) and it's been stated as a fact by Sennheiser. Would you also like photographic proof?

Mar 7, 2018 at 10:55 AM Post #2,792 of 9,628
The pads on the HD 660 S, which will also be the replacement pads from now on, ARE different. It's been noted by several reviewers (including one whom I'm sure you'd like to discredit) and it's been stated as a fact by Sennheiser. Would you also like photographic proof?

They look and feel identical, to me. Same shape. Same material. How are they different? The only difference I can tell, is that the new pair of 660s pads aren't broken in. The new pads are stiffer and protrude out more than the ones that are broken in. What am I missing?

Mar 7, 2018 at 11:02 AM Post #2,793 of 9,628
They look and feel identical, to me. Same shape. Same material. How are they different? The only difference I can tell, is that the new pair of 660s pads aren't broken in. The new pads are stiffer and protrude out more than the ones that are broken in. What am I missing?

I'll post some pictures when I get home. I have just bought new replacement pads for my Precision 580's and have just received a brand new pair of HD 650's. I promise you, they're different l!

Mar 7, 2018 at 11:04 AM Post #2,794 of 9,628
These are my HD 650 pads after 10 months .. I honestly can't tell the difference from brand new, but then again, I don't use my HD 650 every day, I tend to cycle through my headphones and I've not used them continuously daily for about a week now since I got a brand new pair of closed cans (Audio Technica ATH-A550Z).

IMG_3280.jpeg

Mar 7, 2018 at 3:19 PM Post #2,797 of 9,628
Sorry for the slightly poor photos. Natural light would have been better, but hopefully it's clear that the pads on the brand new HD 650's are thinner (less deep) and rounder than the brand new replacement pads on the 580's. The differences are subtle but real and quite noticeable in real life on brand new pads. There is indeed a little more room on the inside of the new type which have a slightly bevelled inside edge. Also, although it's not possible to see it in the photos, in good natural light the original type look jet black, whereas the new type replacements (as come on the HD 660 S) look very dark grey.

FullSizeRender.jpg
FullSizeRender 2.jpg
IMG_5182.JPG
IMG_5183.JPG

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2018 at 5:36 PM Post #2,803 of 9,628
Yes, they were.

I'm pretty sure the replacement pads going forward are the newer pads, for all HD 6xx open headphones. But Sennheiser did post on here that the pads are slightly different / improved. So if you're getting new stock of replacement pads for any of the 6xx headphones, presumably you'd get these newer pads.

Mar 7, 2018 at 8:36 PM Post #2,804 of 9,628
I would have to agree. I have both in my hands right now and other than the 650 pads being a little flattened from use, I see no difference. Tyll said he thought they may be different but wasn’t sure.

Mar 7, 2018 at 8:45 PM Post #2,805 of 9,628

This is how the pad on my HD660S looks like after 5 month of proper usage. I think it is still ok but the position of the driver relative to my ears did change, so did the sound for sure. I will replace after 12 month. The pads are consumables to me. 12 month of daily usage is my benchmark from my HD650.

The pads on my HD650 after 14 years. Thought I would change them, but I just ordered the Massdrop HD6xx on Monday, so no need really.

IMG_0718.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back