Sennheiser HD660S... Finally a successor for the HD650?
Mar 7, 2018 at 8:46 PM Post #2,806 of 9,626
Well guys, as has happened over and over and over again, I’m coming to the realization that the the HD650 is in fact the better headphone compared to the 660s. It just took a little longer than usual this time. I am hearing more resolution, bass extension along with that wonderful smoothness. I continue to be amazed with this old classic.

Mar 7, 2018 at 8:54 PM Post #2,807 of 9,626
Here’s an unopened package of pads I bought when the HD580 was the current model.
D1BE1423-9B7E-460B-8F99-66A10BFD92E0.jpeg

Mar 8, 2018 at 1:10 AM Post #2,808 of 9,626
Well, this is confusing. The reviewers (and I wasn't talking about Tyll, or not only) should have got new pads for the reviews too.

Anyways, Senn is a bit shady with the parts. People discovered hd580 drivers in the hd650 models etc, there's threads about it. Sometimes I even wonder if everybody has the same headphone as I do. HD650 is to me the least resolute of almost all the mid-high end headphones I tried. Neutral (a bit dark in the high treble), smooth, but not really detailed, I can clearly hear some extra sounds on most other headphones, including the hd660s (which is not a detail monster itself, but pretty decent). Also, the bass extension is the same, and I've searched all graphs I could to find any difference, but couldn't find more than 1dB difference. The bass on the hd660s is faster though, which may make it seem less bloated and deep.

I was planning on selling the hd650, but can't do it, I just can't listen to anything else when I'm really tired and want to relax.

Oh, and about the pads. If I let the factory clamp, I wear out a pair in 5-6 months (60-70% of the initial depth). If I enlarge the headband until they press on the ears just a tiny bit, they look 90% like the new after 2 years. Huge difference. I don't headbang with them on though. They're just firm enough not to fall of when I bent a little.

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2018 at 3:50 AM Post #2,809 of 9,626
Yes, they were.

Well, if you connect the dots you'll realise why they were the same.......... :wink:

The HD 660 S come with the new type and all replacement pads are the new type so you received the new type for your HD 650's - the same as the ones on your HD 660 S. However, they ARE different from the original type which are still being used for new HD 650's (and presumably HD 600's), as shown in my photos in post #2797.

Mar 8, 2018 at 3:59 AM Post #2,810 of 9,626
Well guys, as has happened over and over and over again, I’m coming to the realization that the the HD650 is in fact the better headphone compared to the 660s. It just took a little longer than usual this time. I am hearing more resolution, bass extension along with that wonderful smoothness. I continue to be amazed with this old classic.

Thanks for this donlin. It's a sign of character and maturity that you can say this now instead of sticking to your previously held position. I appreciate your honesty.

Mar 8, 2018 at 4:15 AM Post #2,811 of 9,626

This is also exactly why I've just bought a second pair of HD 650's. I've been thinking of doing so for a considerable time for a number of, mostly practical, reasons, but also because I just think that they're so good. I have yet to hear anything at any price which is actually an overall improvement. When the HD 660 S came out I thought initially that finally there might be something better, but it didn't take long before there was sufficient cause for doubt. Doubts which it seems now were well founded. But the thing that finally tipped me into buying a second pair of HD 650's was the suggestion that it may be discontinued in favour of the HD 660 S. It may not happen, or not soon anyway, but I'll avoid the mad rush to get the last ones if it happens........!

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2018 at 6:39 AM Post #2,813 of 9,626
To balance latest changes of mind, I must admit that... I still love and prefer my HD660S over my HD600. :)

But I don't have to choose, so it's an easy preference, because I can always go for one or the other (except the fact that lately I'm listening mainly to Stax and all the debate 660S vs 650 vs 600 it's a bit out of my radar).

Mar 8, 2018 at 7:39 AM Post #2,814 of 9,626
To balance latest changes of mind, I must admit that... I still love and prefer my HD660S over my HD600. :)

But I don't have to choose, so it's an easy preference, because I can always go for one or the other (except the fact that lately I'm listening mainly to Stax and all the debate 660S vs 650 vs 600 it's a bit out of my radar).

If you're into Stax then everything else is off the radar, isn't it? :wink:

Mar 8, 2018 at 8:00 AM Post #2,815 of 9,626

This is also exactly why I've just bought a second pair of HD 650's. I've been thinking of doing so for a considerable time for a number of, mostly practical, reasons, but also because I just think that they're so good.........

And this is why most of us on these forums end up being quite neurotic :thermometer_face:...the reasons many tend to keep coming back to the 650s are the same reasons many like myself keep selling them off.:confounded:

ps...the pads on my last "new 650s" from last summer where the same as on the 660Ss.

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2018 at 8:10 AM Post #2,816 of 9,626
Mar 8, 2018 at 8:23 AM Post #2,817 of 9,626
And this is why most of us on these forums end up being quite neurotic :thermometer_face:...the reasons many tend to keep coming back to the 650s are the same reasons many like myself keep selling them off.:confounded:

ps...the pads on my last "new 650s" from last summer where the same as on the 660Ss.

But I noticed that you also sold your HD 660 S! :wink:

And honestly, Rob, I think unless you had brand new pads of both types in front of you at the same time, it would be almost impossible to notice the difference. Anyway, all I'm saying is that the ones in the pictures I posted above ARE different, and the differences are as stated by Sennheiser. To me that's too much of a coincidence! :wink:

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2018 at 8:26 AM Post #2,818 of 9,626
Hopefully clearer daylight photos that show the slightly deeper and bevelled (and therefore roomier) new type pads. Again, both pairs brand new. The difference is small, but real.
If you say they’re different, I’ll take your word for it but the pictures don’t show any difference.

Mar 8, 2018 at 8:36 AM Post #2,819 of 9,626
If you say they’re different, I’ll take your word for it but the pictures don’t show any difference.

Have another look at the first set of pictures. Look at the bottom of the pads near the headphone leads on the first two pictures. The HD 650 pads meet whereas the HD 580's don't, but despite that I thought it was clear that the HD 650's pads are rounder and not quite as 'high'. The differences on the inside are more apparent in real life, but strangely actually harder to show on a photo. But like I've said a few times already, the differences are subtle.......

Mar 8, 2018 at 8:37 AM Post #2,820 of 9,626

I do suspect 660s will be quiet a successful hp, way more than 700 cause of plug and play nature and better, more decisive reviews.

Senn midrange is hard to beat really.

And why is Mike still on this thread? He will end up buying them if it goes on like this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back